Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best slicer/peeler knife for EDC?

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Best slicer/peeler knife for EDC?
on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:32 PM
My knife EDC needs, like a office worker in an urban environment are very reduced, mostly cutting/peeling food (apple...)

So, what are your better choice for these tasks.???

I have used:

-Vic Excelsior (very thin and light, the best)
-Vic Executive
-Spyderco Ladybug
-Case XX Peanut (I have a Small Texas Toothpick to try also)
-Leatherman Juice S2
-Vic Cadet
-Tinker Small...

Buyed but not tried:
-Opinel 4 and 6
-Gerber LST 2
-Vic Bantam

I need a knife
-Good slicer / peeler. THIN BLADE IF POSSIBLE.
-Light and small (3,25"closed maximum)
-Thin for slacks
-Better with keyring or hole
-Locking will be a nice plus.
-Not Tactical please

Please tell me your opinions
Thank you all guys!!! :tu:

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Best slicer/peeler knife for EDC?
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:21 PM
Can't go wrong with an Opi - nice and cheap and the blade is thin enough to be a good slicer, but not too thin to not be useful for other tasks. Looks friendly and has a lot of character. Get a carbon if you want the patina or the stainless if you don't want the taste affected. I have a 7 which is a great size.
WP_20160810_001 by magpie2112, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:27:24 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:05:18 PM
I think it's pretty hard to beat the Excelsior given your needs. An Opinel is a good knife, but the Vic is slimmer for the blade size.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:08:25 PM
FWIW, I work in an office too, but I stick with a Spartan most days. Bigger than your sweet spot, but it compensates with its extreme people friendliness.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:13:18 PM
All of Spyderco's ffg blades have been very good at slicing in my experience. Almost as good as Opinel. They are thicker than some, but are very useful all around. Plus, you can get premium steels/locks if you so desire.Wiith a SAK, you do gain the extremely useful edc tools and have many options on thickness, lenth, etc, but there is no way a non locking blade on a SAK would ever handle an emergency situation as well as a locking blade in my opinion.  :cheers:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:17:40 PM
Mercator K55K is a clear winner for those tasks.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:20:56 PM
I have a wenger Patriot is good at those task as well.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:34:00 PM
I try to avoid folders for this, as the fruit juices gum everything up. They are also harder to clean. I also avoid carbon steels, as they can impart a metallic taste on foods.

My smallest food prep knife is the Outdoor Edge, Wedge. It's a small easy to clean necker with a two finger grip. Larger than that, I have a Cold Steel Roach Belly and Boker+ TUF. Those two and my HiVis Mora have the added advantage of being strong enough for heavier work than just foodstuffs.

If there is not the scope for a fixed blade for whatever reason, it's hard to beat a 84-91mm SAK for slicing performance. The grinds are perfect for the job. I just hate getting all the pivots and springs gummed up, plus I am always conscious that it's a less hygienic option.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:33 PM
I'd go with the Vic Executive. The Excelsior is a good option, too, but I think the Executive is better for an office environment because it has scissors and a nail file and an orange peeler. These make it look less like a knife and more like a gadget that also happens to have a blade.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:58 PM
I prefer the Ambassador to the Executive myself, but they're booth good IMO. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 07:49:45 PM
You can also try the Director. It's an Executive without T&T, no celidor scales, thinner and very elegant looking.

Director Esquire 01.jpg
* Director Esquire 01.jpg (Filesize: 182.37 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
My vote, if it's gotta be a SAK, it's either the Waiter, the Bantham or the Executive. The first two got the edge on the bigger, longer blade, better for food prep.

But I much prefer fixed blade for those dirty tasks, faster, easier to clean and no pivot/moving parts to get dirt on. A great example would be the CRKT Minimalist series of small neck/pocket carry fixed blades.

Ideally a Roach Belly or Mora for that stuff, or some other cheap 4" fixed blade, but those are too big for what you asked.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:59:30 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:06 AM
My choices in order:
Cadet
Small Tinker
Waiter
Bantam
- Steve

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:58:52 AM
Doesn't meet any of your needs as specified (Well it locks. 1 out of 5 ain't bad) :P - But I will say an Opinel makes a great knife for slicing and peeling.

I'm not sure i've ever tried, but I suspect the technique for using a 58mm to peel would be annoying, and it's not really big enough to decently slice anything much bigger than a grape :)

Opinel also does a range of paring knives (so does Vic....)
http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-small-kitchen-knives

Perhaps you can keep it in your desk for lunch times. Depending on how much you trust your coworkers not to disappear it from the staff room sink :P

The Vic Waiter is a bit thinner for your slacks, and has a keyring, plus the added bonus of a combination caplifter/can opener, which might become useful during a tea break.

ALL THAT IS GREAT, HOWEVER:

You already have a Opinel no 6, and you've said you have not tried it - So before getting carried away looking at all the options. Carry your Opinel for a bit and see how it goes (A bit of sanding and oil on the handle goes a long way, and FWIW, Mine has a paracord fob to make fetching it from the pocket a little easier.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:06:34 AM by Sea Monster »

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 08:24:03 AM
Thank you very much guys!   :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 06:49:30 PM
I try to avoid folders for this, as the fruit juices gum everything up. They are also harder to clean. I also avoid carbon steels, as they can impart a metallic taste on foods.

My smallest food prep knife is the Outdoor Edge, Wedge. It's a small easy to clean necker with a two finger grip. Larger than that, I have a Cold Steel Roach Belly and Boker+ TUF. Those two and my HiVis Mora have the added advantage of being strong enough for heavier work than just foodstuffs.

If there is not the scope for a fixed blade for whatever reason, it's hard to beat a 84-91mm SAK for slicing performance. The grinds are perfect for the job. I just hate getting all the pivots and springs gummed up, plus I am always conscious that it's a less hygienic option.

I take your point about folders not being ideal for cutting-up fruit and the like, but in the UK aren't we banned from carrying fixed blade knives in public places of any length, unless a convincing need to carry one can be provided (for "cutting fruit" is apparently not a good enough reason)? Maybe for camping in the outdoors and fishing, but I don't think you can easily carry one legally as an EDC knife.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 06:53:32 PM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:28 PM
For fruits, a slim knife is best. A Pioneer Solo will do just fine for apples, the 108 mm Safari Solo will handle bigger fruits as well. Both may be cleaned with water and soap, no harm done.
DSC00819-1715-apple.jpg
* DSC00819-1715-apple.jpg (Filesize: 230.99 KB)
DSC02424-juice.jpg
* DSC02424-juice.jpg (Filesize: 421.89 KB)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:34:48 PM by Ronald Schröder »

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:12 PM
For fruits, a slim knife is best. A Pioneer Solo will do just fine for apples, the 108 mm Safari Solo will handle bigger fruits as well. Both may be cleaned with water and soap, no harm done.

The 108mm Safari Solo is discontinued, by can still be obtained with a bit of looking. In fact I was thinking of getting one myself, but am not sure if the blade is too long for UK-legal carry, is anyone able to confirm either way? Thanks
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 10:52:07 PM
I carry a waiter 85mm every day during work.
Extremely thin. I never feel as if it's in my pocket.
Cheap and razor sharp.

Can't go wrong with it.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:47 PM
Nothing wrong with the Waiter. I have one too, and several Wengers with the same pattern. However, IMO a food prep knife shouldn't have extra tools that make cleaning more difficult/time consuming. That's why I choose a Solo. I always carry one or other multi-layer SAK for other chores, but the Solo is dedicated to food prep. This way, I also prevent all kinds of dirt from getting into my food.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:51:18 PM by Ronald Schröder »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 01:36:09 AM

I take your point about folders not being ideal for cutting-up fruit and the like, but in the UK aren't we banned from carrying fixed blade knives in public places of any length, unless a convincing need to carry one can be provided (for "cutting fruit" is apparently not a good enough reason)? Maybe for camping in the outdoors and fishing, but I don't think you can easily carry one legally as an EDC knife.

For everyday day carry, you are quite right. However, I have kept knives at work (though not all workplaces would permit this). Also, if I'm going on a longer day hike, so long as I'm not going anywhere that is likely to be overly concerned about me making my lunch with proper equipment, I sometimes carry a fixed blade knife AND a cheapo lightweight chopping board. Nobody goes out intending causing bodily harm with a plastic chopping board, and it seems to help softening the image of a sheath knife if you happen to be observed, although discretion should still be applied of course. At times, I have left the sheath knife in the bag when the setting felt inappropriate for a proper knife, and just used a SAK - but I don't like doing it. For shorter walks, or when I don't think a sheath knife would be appropriate, I simply take foods that don't need a knife.

Just my way of doing things. I plan the foods around what equipment will be available. I'll use a folder for opening packaged food, but prefer a fixed blade for preparing food.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 01:51:15 AM
If you're working from existing inventory, I'd recommend the No. 6.  For about the first 6 months I had mine, it was nothing but a fruit/vegetable prep knife, before it got drafted into farm duty.

If you want to try a different knife--I'd recommend a Stockman or a Trapper, or any other knife that's got a spey-type blade--works great for peeling oranges!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 09:32:00 AM

For everyday day carry, you are quite right. However, I have kept knives at work (though not all workplaces would permit this). Also, if I'm going on a longer day hike, so long as I'm not going anywhere that is likely to be overly concerned about me making my lunch with proper equipment, I sometimes carry a fixed blade knife AND a cheapo lightweight chopping board. Nobody goes out intending causing bodily harm with a plastic chopping board, and it seems to help softening the image of a sheath knife if you happen to be observed, although discretion should still be applied of course. At times, I have left the sheath knife in the bag when the setting felt inappropriate for a proper knife, and just used a SAK - but I don't like doing it. For shorter walks, or when I don't think a sheath knife would be appropriate, I simply take foods that don't need a knife.

Just my way of doing things. I plan the foods around what equipment will be available. I'll use a folder for opening packaged food, but prefer a fixed blade for preparing food.

All sounds eminently sensible!  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 01:30:19 PM
There has got to be a quote or proverb about planning in order to slim down your necessary equipment.  ???

Smurf, Chuck freakin' Yeager, an experienced outdoors man(I think he did some aircraft stuff too?  :P ), regularly took an Executive as his only knife when going into the woods to fish for weeks with a buddy.  :o
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:46 PM
My vote would be Opinel or Executive.  Both are quite nice and would make terrific food prep knives.  What was it about the Executive that hasn't made this knife your go to?

I like the Cadet as well since it has a can opener, mine is the Cadet 2.  Was there something about the Cadet that has you looking at other options? 

Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Padre

Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 05:13:19 PM
I prefer full flat grind for slicing, like in chef knives. Blade steel doesnt matter that much.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!