Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fenix LD02 V2.0?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Fenix LD02 V2.0?
on: August 29, 2018, 12:22:05 AM
Just saw this. I haven't heard of it before, but seems like a pretty unique feature set. High-CRI warm led with a uv led.

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld02-v2-0-edc-led-penlight-with-uv-lighting/
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Fenix LD02 V2.0?
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 02:06:05 AM
The current upgrade to the LD02, itself an upgrade of the LD01.
Puts out a little less light than the older lights.
Pocket clip doesn't look removable or reversible.
Not entirely an improvement in my book.
- Steve

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:26:20 AM
The current upgrade to the LD02, itself an upgrade of the LD01.
Puts out a little less light than the older lights.
Not entirely an improvement in my book.

I'm ambivalent about the pocket clip. I actually like the lower brightness. That's usually the tradeoff for runtime and high CRI. Plus a lot of the 100lm+ aaa lights have really short high runtimes with a quick stepdown to a lower output, which makes the high kind of useless, IMO
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:04 AM
It all comes down to the switch for me, accidental turning the light on is a no-go. Not a fan of the clip either...
That out of the way, it looks good and I like the output (I don't need brightness turn new moon into full moon... sorry working on a project where they use moon reflection for communication). I also like the added UV, not that I have much need for it (I do have a secret agent UV ink pen :D).

Check out the new Olight i3T EOS... nice clip
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 12:41:08 PM
This seems like a bizarre yet maybe interesting new light from Fenix for a few reasons to me.

As far as I can remember this is the first Fenix with an actual really low,low mode included?
1 Lumen is starting to get to the spot a lot of like to have as an option on a tiny light like this.
Add to that the Warm tint and it seems a lot more useful to me than the angry blue they have usually sold.

The U.V. mode is just strange though? I can see it being sold as a tool for those who need UV for their job or have an unusual interest in Scorpion Tracking or something???
But I can also see a lot of users cycling through the UV mode thinking the light is not on too.
Luckily the light has Memory so that you can leave it in UV if you need to and avoid staring into the UV to see if the light is even on.

The clip is an unknown until someone gets one and tells about it?

The Forward Clicky Switch is my favorite and I have rarely had one turn on in pocket and my pockets seem to make all lights turn on when not wanted!

And then there is "Diaper Inspection"  that is listed as a feature on the Fenix Website?
Not a feature I would EVER imagine or care to use!
 :facepalm:

I like Fenix overall and they have been crazy reliable for me but I just do not love any AAA light for the runtime limitations.
I carry AA usually and prefer the extended runtime over the slightly tinier form every time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:45:21 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 02:55:01 PM
I had a quick look at this light.  Huge fan of the LD02.  Depending on how you carry the light accidental on can happen with push buttons.  I've had my LD02 turn on and its dangled from my keychain.   A work around is unscrewing the head but for some thats a no go.  I don't know what I'd use UV for  :think:.  I have not actually used the pocket clips on my AAA lights that have them.  What I do like is the reversible ones that I can use on a hat ( head lamp ).  I tend to dangle AAAs off a keychain or place in coin pocket.  I tend to unscrew the head so I don't have to worry about accidental activation.  I will also just pop one in my shirt pocket and no head loosening is needed. 

Not many reviews yet but I'm sure we'll see some soon enough.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:13 PM
The screw heads can also turn on accidentally, although not as easily as a clicky.  Unscrewing the head is a real inconvenience, as you have to do two things to use the light, and one of them is a two handed task for many.
I also tend to use the pocket clip for use on a hat brim, so a non reversible clip is useless to me.
As I said in my earlier post, not really an improvement over my LD01 or the original LD02.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD