Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flameless lighters

Grathr · 29 · 3049

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Flameless lighters
on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:26 PM
Have anyone any expercience with dual arch flameless lighters?
I like the consept, but do they work?
http://shop.plazmatic.com/pzx1?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AES&utm_campaign=ADSAGE2_E_110216_V_GC-Q_Lndr&utm_term=ADSAGE2_E_110216_V_GC-Q_Lndr&utm_content=ADSAGE2_E_110216_V_GC-Q_Lndr

There are also a bunch of cheap copies available on fleabay.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Flameless lighters
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:37:56 AM
I have been curious about those too, but the price has kept me from getting too close a look.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:55:05 AM
Just checked that link out and those things are awesome :ahhh It looks like some kind of futuristic device :o Love how they show it slicing through the paracord like butter :D Sort of light saber like even :drool: I would like to see one of those up close and personal :dd:

:like: :like: :like:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:36:18 AM
so, in their "independent" comparison chart they seem to forget the jet flame lighters that are also windproof and have been popular for years and compare themselves with a bic and a zippo....  Like comparing a modern electric car with a 1940s tricycle, ignoring the other cars that came after.

"inspired by the way automakers like Tesla"  "our mission to turn nasty butane fuel into a thing of the past"  Statements like that just make me dislike their product....    :-\.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 09:39:54 AM
I think there was a thread on them some time ago. I'm too lazy to try and dig it up again. :)

It is my understanding they have been around for quite some time. (But I have been known to have been wrong before. Maybe even more than once.)

The comparison matrix was cute, though. Two completely different technologies, and then having lots of incomparable axes. Anybody could easily make another matrix where the Bic made the flameless look useless, simply by focusing on the merits of having a flame accessible and not having to worry about a battery. :)

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:23 PM
If they were harvesting energy from the 5th dimension, yes  :ahhh

But a battery? No thanks.  :oops:

On a more serious note, I love the idea, I am serious about my disapproval of anything powered by a battery.

I've often wondered about capacitors which is more a filter but also a storage device, today I googled "capacitor lifespan" and got some new insights.
Completely unrelated to the thread  :whistle:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:18 PM
Why not a fan of batteries?
The quickest production car in the WORLD is made in California and is powered by batteries.
(The top end model can do 0-60 in 2.5 sec, the cheaper models "only" less than 4 sec and are practical cars!)  :drool: :drool: :dd: :dd: :dd: :woohoo: :woohoo: :D :D :like: :like:
And I've never seem a cheap gas/petrol/diesel/coal/etc powered keychain flashlight that can put out over 120 lumens.  :dd:

(Hi, my name is Pablo and I am a battery addict)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:19:19 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:01:23 PM
I would think he isn't a fan of batteries because they can fail when it really matters ;) I like batteries as well but wouldn't depend on this lighter to give me fire when out :D I think it is cool and I didn't have sound on when watching the video as dks did so I didn't hear all the comments just that it looked awesome :whistle:

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:16:52 PM
And USB rechargable lighters?

https://ignitelighters.com

Similar and cheaper.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 04:06:00 PM
I would think he isn't a fan of batteries because they can fail when it really matters ;) I like batteries as well but wouldn't depend on this lighter to give me fire when out :D I think it is cool and I didn't have sound on when watching the video as dks did so I didn't hear all the comments just that it looked awesome :whistle:
Like everything else, one[set] is none, two[sets] are one.  ;)
I EDC a back up AAA at minimum for my light, might regularly add other types and a powerbank? I already carry a bag anyway.  :think:

All hail the hook!

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 04:57:41 PM
I have one of those (an electric Arc lighter), I don't use it much, but it is fun and works really well !
==> http://www.pureinnov.com/boutique/briquets-arc-electrique/purescience-experimentboy/
Not worth the 40€ asked though. (I've dismantled it and the inside isn't as high quality the outside looks...And no idea about it's life expectancy)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:02:45 PM
You can get double arc ones from DX for $13 and single ones from $10, or even less from other sites.

I suspect the insides of the cheap and the expensive ones may be made by the same compani/es, possibly in China.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:20:50 PM by dks »

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 05:04:24 PM
I guess I'm old school, I'd stick with a zippo or wood matches. Not that I really have a use for them anymore, back when I smoked cigars they said the wood matches were the best, after the chemicals burned off, this way you didn't burn any chemicals like you smell on a zippo to ruin the taste on a cigar.. I always liked zippos, now for my field they came in handy, cause having to light a torch with a pressurized lighter can be unsafe, yet since a zippo isn't pressureized there's no way for the torch to blow it up.. I just don't have a use for them, and would kinda be pointless to keep refilling it, so matches tucked away in the bag work for that just in case moment..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 05:14:14 PM
I have one of those Ignite models and it's ok if all you want to do is light a cigarette, or something similar in size.  It is worthless for cigars as they are generally too big to fit in the small ring where the element is.

As a survival mechanism though, I could see it being reasonably effective, as everything these days charges with USB, so you could bring  battery bank along (you know, for your phone, GoPro, GPS, flashlight etc) and also use it to charge your lighter.  You could then ignite a small piece of paper, bark or moss to start your fire, and you wold probably use less electricity than you would butane in a standard lighter.

Just a thought anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:17 PM
I have one of those Ignite models and it's ok if all you want to do is light a cigarette, or something similar in size.  It is worthless for cigars as they are generally too big to fit in the small ring where the element is.

As a survival mechanism though, I could see it being reasonably effective, as everything these days charges with USB, so you could bring  battery bank along (you know, for your phone, GoPro, GPS, flashlight etc) and also use it to charge your lighter.  You could then ignite a small piece of paper, bark or moss to start your fire, and you wold probably use less electricity than you would butane in a standard lighter.

Just a thought anyway.

Def
Yeah I can see how they wouldn't work to well with cigars, the ones that work with cigars are those jet ones, they normally have like 2-3 jet flames, I have one somewhere, even has a cigar punch on the bottom..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:02:27 AM
I wonder if it would be more reliable than a piezo igniter at high altitude. Might be since it it battery powered.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 12:09:51 AM
I wonder if it would be more reliable than a piezo igniter at high altitude. Might be since it it battery powered.
Like in space?! I could be on to something. ..

All hail the hook!

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 01:14:22 AM
Like in space?! I could be on to something. ..
Not quite... :D Piezo cigarette lighters and stove igniters start having reliability issues starting around 7000 ft. I was thinking in terms of lighting a backpacking stove.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 12:59:59 PM
Why not a fan of batteries?
The quickest production car in the WORLD is made in California and is powered by batteries.
(The top end model can do 0-60 in 2.5 sec, the cheaper models "only" less than 4 sec and are practical cars!)  :drool: :drool: :dd: :dd: :dd: :woohoo: :woohoo: :D :D :like: :like:
And I've never seem a cheap gas/petrol/diesel/coal/etc powered keychain flashlight that can put out over 120 lumens.  :dd:

(Hi, my name is Pablo and I am a battery addict)

:facepalm:

Had to do a bit of self-examination there.....  :facepalm:

My thought process jumped from "lighter" to "fire" to survival mode......Poncho is 100% correct.

While civilization is up and running I have no real problem with batteries, I do however insist on rechargeables.

When it comes to cars, I wouldn't mind going electric to and from work, but when I go up a mountain in my Suzuki I want to do it on the power of burning dinosaurs  :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 06:37:55 PM
What model Suzuki do you have?  :)

There is a reason why the most electric cars accelerate faster than 'fossil fuel' cars at the same price range, A/C induction motors are nothing short of Jaw-dropping awesome.  :drool:

The Top version of the model S(P100D) is a very different beast, price and performance, from the base model(75D). With options, it costs $160k. A huge amount I know, but why does it beat the Bugatti Veyron($1.5 million!!!!) in acceleration, despite not do being designed to do so?
Big batteries thats why, coupled with the same motors as on the 75D.
The reason that the P100D is not as FAST as the Bugatti Veyron is because of the 1 speed gearbox and software limiting the top speed to 155mph, as well as the car probably not being designed to do 250mph.

Its interesting to note that with a one speed gearbox, the model S in general can accelerate very quickly AND reach 155mph on its electric motors.
How many gears does a fossil fuel car need to do the same thing?  :think:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:39:02 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 06:52:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I ordered a cheap dual arch lighter from ebay to try out :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 07:14:16 PM
A CVT mimics the electric motor. No, not the Nissan ones, the good ones from Honda

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 08:21:29 PM
That plus the engine is still much more complex than a AC motor(Basically a bunch of magnets and wires)+single speed fixed gearbox.  8)

The only disadvantage of the electronic option is the expense and range of batteries, but that is being improved very quickly.
Did you know that tesla built a HUGE battery factory? (the Gigafactory)
They plan to ramp up production of batteries there, to the point that in 2020, it will produce more batteries than the global production amount in 2013, in the process driving manufacturing costs down.  :D

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 11:03:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it arrives.  :D

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 07:16:49 AM
I did think about it, but I only smoke the occasional cigar and these are just not good for that.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 08:09:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it arrives.  :D

Def

:pok: Grathr, has it arrived ??   :)  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 09:25:16 AM
I totally forgot about this thread.

I got it. It works, but ideal for lighting fires. It is excellent for lighting fireworks though :)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 09:28:47 AM
Many thanks.
I assume that it is not designed for cigars.

I am thinking about getting for the car, as it can be recharged by USB, but cheap, gas lighters are also very... cheap and fine for the car

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 09:56:29 AM
Many thanks.
I assume that it is not designed for cigars.

I am thinking about getting for the car, as it can be recharged by USB, but cheap, gas lighters are also very... cheap and fine for the car

The mouth of the lighter is too small for cigars.
Its a fun novelty item, but a cheap gas lighter works better for most tasks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%