Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Water storage?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Water storage?
on: November 16, 2016, 12:01:26 AM
On all of our recent camping trips and other adventures I have been carrying a 10L water jug for dog water, potable water and so on.  The jug I have been using is a cheapo jug that you get from the grocery store when you buy water, and for the most part they are ok, except they don't really last too long.  I can only use them a few times before they rupture.  Because of that I am thinking of getting a more robust solution for water.

I recall a little while ago someone posted some nice looking red jugs, and unfortunately I don't recall what they were or who posted it, but I was wondering what everyone else was using.  I can get slightly more expensive cheapos like this one but I think I would rather have something pretty solid and reliable, as they usually get tossed on the trailer or put in the trunk of the Jeep with a very large dog.

I think I would prefer plastic for weight saving and resilience, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Water storage?
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:18:17 AM
How about jerry rigging something like this in the back of the Jeep?

http://www.tomw.net.au/images/2001/sa/fencewell.jpg
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 12:27:05 AM
This will be a good thread for emergency water containers as well :cheers:

:popcorn:

Now I need some water after all that popcorn :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:29:45 AM
How about jerry rigging something like this in the back of the Jeep?

http://www.tomw.net.au/images/2001/sa/fencewell.jpg

It won't take me to the pic Smashie just to the main site of that webpage :think:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:37:59 AM
OK try this

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 12:53:57 AM
You can pick up large jerry can type jugs designed for water storage at Canadian Tire. I believe the brand is Resilience? :think: They are not that expensive and come in a variety of sizes. They also seem to be reasonably durable from my experience tossing it in the trunk (ok, more like wedging it in) with all the other camping gear.

Might be worth taking a peak at your local CT store in the camping section. :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:33:36 AM
You can pick up large jerry can type jugs designed for water storage at Canadian Tire. I believe the brand is Resilience? :think: They are not that expensive and come in a variety of sizes. They also seem to be reasonably durable from my experience tossing it in the trunk (ok, more like wedging it in) with all the other camping gear.

Might be worth taking a peak at your local CT store in the camping section. :salute:

Canadian Tire is usually my first stop for something like this, but I'm also thinking of checking at Princess Auto since I have a vague idea of where it is in this city.  I passed it last week, so I know where it is, although to be honest I am not sure where that was in proximity to the rest of the city!  :P

OK try this

(Image removed from quote.)

That is also an interesting concept, but I am not just looking for something for the Jeep.  For example, I will have no running water in my house for the next few days (during the day, everything will work in the evening) so I want to have water available.  I can't help but think that radiator style loses a lot of volume versus a Jerry Can of similar dimensions.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 01:37:02 AM

Canadian Tire is usually my first stop for something like this, but I'm also thinking of checking at Princess Auto since I have a vague idea of where it is in this city.  I passed it last week, so I know where it is, although to be honest I am not sure where that was in proximity to the rest of the city!  :P

OK try this

That is also an interesting concept, but I am not just looking for something for the Jeep.  For example, I will have no running water in my house for the next few days (during the day, everything will work in the evening) so I want to have water available.  I can't help but think that radiator style loses a lot of volume versus a Jerry Can of similar dimensions.

Def

True on the volume, but it looks like a slim design that could be adapted to fit almost anywhere

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 02:07:14 AM
It certainly does look like it could be fit almost anywhere, and expandable.  All you would need is some extra plumbing parts.  And, the smaller volume would help you regulate temperature- heating it by putting it in the sun or cooling it by using a fan or something.

It is a great idea, but not one that addresses my needs at the moment.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 02:33:54 AM
I imagine you can pick up a 10 or 20L water jerry from most of your camping, outdoors or 4wd type stores.

Maybe look for a style that can be put on it's side, or has a tap to ease access to said delicious water.

Scepter is a Brand I've Heard Of, along with Coleman.

But that's all obvious stuff...

For whatever reasons, I prefer bladders to jerries (I've only got small 5L ones for portable drinking water, since my truck has a built in stainless tank  :D ) - But I imagine they come in a variety of sizes for the discerning prepper :P

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 05:00:46 AM

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 07:03:04 AM
I had 20 of the 5 gallon bottles used in water coolers that I store for emergencies and rotate every couple of years or when I think about them. I've used some and not replaced them because I needed the space. In addition, I have a couple of 6 and 1/2 gallon Blitz water cans (Blitz is out of business) a couple of 5 gallon collapsible water carriers, a couple of 5 gallon kegs to pour the bottles and cans into to dispense the water, and plenty of non-scented bleach and iodine to kill any pathogens in the water.  Recently I noticed what I think is a pretty cool idea for water storage and transport that wasn't around when I was buying up my Blitz cans and collapsible carriers.  Have a look at this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-8-Gallon-wheeled-water-container/10098756#about-item

It is an 8 gallon transport container made by Reliant, with wheels and an extended handle, because 8 gallons of water is 70 freaking pounds of water.  It also has its own dispensing tap so you don't have to decant the water into a keg to dispense it.  This is ingenious and I hope whoever came up with it got a good bonus from the company. 

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:58:33 AM
We use something like these in scout camps, they work on more uneven ground than Alan's can, and they hold 40 litres (over 10 gallons).
http://www.aquaroll.com/
 :D :D
Just mind you don't lose the handle or break the attachment points by being rough.

The thing is, they seem to be a UK thing? May not be available in the americas.  :-[
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
or,

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:23 AM
Bit hard to fit in the house or jeep.  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 12:21:45 PM
Maybe you can get your hands on these containers used for veterinary infusions:

I got them from my parents' farm, originally they had been filled with NaCl - H2O, are sturdy, clean, easy to carry, stackable and fit for medical use. The cap is optimized for infusion needles, but you could fix other caps or even a water tap.

Tomcat
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:32:43 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:53 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 05:02:30 PM
Maybe you can get your hands on these containers used for veterinary infusions:

I got them from my parents' farm, originally they had been filled with NaCl - H2O, are sturdy, clean, easy to carry, stackable and fit for medical use. The cap is optimized for infusion needles, but you could fix other caps or even a water tap.

Tomcat

Those look pretty handy- similar to what I have now, only sturdier and stackable.  This is what I currently have:

One of the bigger ones in the back, and I believe it is 10 to 15L.  They don't last long, and I usually have to replace them after every trip, or every other trip at most.  They would be fine as a stationary item, but if you need to transport them, well, they just aren't sturdy enough for that.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 05:10:41 PM
What size? There's all sorts of diff ways just depending on size?
JR
IMG_5139.JPG
* IMG_5139.JPG (Filesize: 159.85 KB)
IMG_5140.JPG
* IMG_5140.JPG (Filesize: 29.61 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 06:20:51 PM

Those look pretty handy- similar to what I have now, only sturdier and stackable.  This is what I currently have:

One of the bigger ones in the back, and I believe it is 10 to 15L.  They don't last long, and I usually have to replace them after every trip, or every other trip at most.  They would be fine as a stationary item, but if you need to transport them, well, they just aren't sturdy enough for that.

Def

... the ones I got are even sturdier than the ones shown in the picture- about 1.5 mm material and very hard to cut with a knife... Maybe I'll find a pic of the actual thing!
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 07:38:53 PM

Def

... the ones I got are even sturdier than the ones shown in the picture- about 1.5 mm material and very hard to cut with a knife... Maybe I'll find a pic of the actual thing!

Yeah, the ones I am using are easily punctured by.... gravity?  Atmosphere?  Existence?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%