Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bladeless Explorer?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Bladeless Explorer?
on: November 17, 2016, 08:24:08 PM
Was thinking of making a bladeless explorer for a gift, but am wondering how to do it.
I've seen a few tit-bits here and there while searching, but am still a bit confused.
Can I put the mag and inline philips on the blade spring with corkscrew?

Thanks. :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bladeless Explorer?
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:23 PM
No it won't fit. Each layer has its own shape and unique spring. So you can't and some you can. This one no. You could however remove the entire layer and have some scales made for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:50:31 PM
Okay, thanks.
So removing the entire blade layer, using a liner with no cut-out and custom scales would be the way to go?  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:31:10 PM
Okay, thanks.
So removing the entire blade layer, using a liner with no cut-out and custom scales would be the way to go?  :)

That or find some tool that will fit in its place and work correctly.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:36:04 PM
two options for using standard scales.
  • Forego the bushings and glue a spare front scale (without cutout) onto the rearmost liner. The scale tool slots will be assymmetric, so while this approach is the simplest to do it is not the most elegant option. Alternately you can find a front scale without any tool slots and just use that on the back.
  • attach scales as normal. and then carefully cut out a section of a spare front scale to fill the cutout on the rear scale. This will require a great deal of accuracy, but should make the result almost perfect, if done right
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:57:04 PM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:45:20 PM
I keep meaning to test if the corkscrew or phillips driver will fit with the scissor spring in place of the hook.  The awl works with the scissors, with a bit of tweaking to the shape of the spring so I reckon the corkscrew/phillips might.  Then you could put the scissors next to the scale with the cutout.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:24:44 PM
I keep meaning to test if the corkscrew or phillips driver will fit with the scissor spring in place of the hook.  The awl works with the scissors, with a bit of tweaking to the shape of the spring so I reckon the corkscrew/phillips might.  Then you could put the scissors next to the scale with the cutout.

That's a good idea but I doubt very seriously that will work as the scissor spring is shaped very different than the others.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 06:16:37 PM

That's a good idea but I doubt very seriously that will work as the scissor spring is shaped very different than the others.

Yout know if I bed the scissors spring like I do for the awl mod... I bet it would work with the corkscrew.  Interesting
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 06:22:35 PM
Do you mean putting washers between the spring and liner, syph?  :think:

All hail the hook!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 03:51:55 AM
This is a bladeless Explorer I made for a member's young daughter.
The blade was replaced with a ruler made from a 150mm steel rule and the small blade swapped out for a nail file.
I used a bird head spacer from my spares box to space the ruler.
Rather than try to cut a nail nick into the side of the ruler I went with a notch in the end.
The tips of the scissors blades were rounded off to make it even more child friendly.
I don't appear to have a photo of the completely finished knife. The scales are made from custom cast pink and black swirled resin and were polished to a glossy finish.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:55:10 AM by PTRSAK »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:53 PM
The blade was replaced with a ruler made from a 150mm steel rule and the small blade swapped out for a nail file.
Rather than try to cut a nail nick into the side of the ruler I went with a notch in the end.
The tips of the scissors blades were rounded off to make it even more child friendly.
I don't appear to have a photo of the completely finished knife. The scales are made from custom cast pink and black swirled resin and were polished to a glossy finish.

(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent work Peter :o :like: :like:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 01:37:05 PM

That's a great mod.  Really nice idea to use the steel rule.  That would also make a great replacement for the fish tickler on a Swiss Champ or similar.  Although I guess to be most useful it needs to be in an outside layer.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:58 PM

This is EXCELLENT. What a fantastic concept for a kids tool  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 07:04:13 PM
CAUTION: What you are about to see is a quick and dirty approach to the problem at hand.  It is not pretty and portrays harm to an innocent SAK.  Turn back now!!!

I've been contemplating this because I have 5 and 6 year old boys who need tools of their own.  Rather than muck about with what spring fits where, and due to the likelihood of the poor knife getting lost, I wanted to come up with a solution that had a low entry cost, low modification cost, and was easily repeatable.  This Explorer came to me as a freebie with another purchase because the main blade was bent up and over sharpened.  It also hasn't been cleaned in forever.  The modification plan is simple: cut off the main blade, cut off the small blade, cut off the awl, and round the scissor tips.  Certainly not pretty, but effective.  I'll clean it up afterwards and see what the boys think of it.  If all goes well, I will likely make another out of a second beater Explorer.  If they prove they can handle this, in a couple years they will get bladed SAKs of their own in much nicer condition.  And now, The Debladening!

Poor, poor, unfortunate Explorer:

Main blade after meeting the cut off disk, file, and sand paper:

Small blade too:

I forgot to take a picture of the awl before it was folded away in shortened form, but here are the scissors:

It's currently sitting in a dish soap bath waiting for a good scrubbing.  Overall, not a hard project (wear eye and ear protection and use a vice) but I think it will meet my needs for now.  After cleanup, I'll take some final pics.

I feel a bit sad about putting it under the knife, so to speak, but no going back now.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 04:33:13 PM
 :o

:ahhh I'm calling the RSPCSAK on you!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 05:35:51 PM
Just wanted to say this is awesome!

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 08:06:53 PM
Here is my modified Explorer after some cleanup.  I think there was a mix of barbecue sauce and white paint inside everything.  I might do some light polishing and then get the front engraved with my son's name.  I have another rough Explorer on the way from a friend to undergo the same treatment.  I think the second one will go a little smoother and look a little more finished, but the process will be the same.

Folded minus blades:

The truncated awl:

The complete load-out:

I think the RSPCSAK may see this as rehabilitation of an abandoned and abused SAK.  In this form, it will now fill the proudest of SAK roles: being the tool of a young child and hopefully inspiring a lifelong love of multitools.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:55 PM
Nicely done  :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
Here is my modified Explorer after some cleanup.  I think there was a mix of barbecue sauce and white paint inside everything.  I might do some light polishing and then get the front engraved with my son's name.  I have another rough Explorer on the way from a friend to undergo the same treatment.  I think the second one will go a little smoother and look a little more finished, but the process will be the same.

Folded minus blades:

The truncated awl:

The complete load-out:

I think the RSPCSAK may see this as rehabilitation of an abandoned and abused SAK.  In this form, it will now fill the proudest of SAK roles: being the tool of a young child and hopefully inspiring a lifelong love of multitools.
All joking aside - this is a great job. It will give your young uns a good grounding in tool use before graduating to the bladed version. I wish my dad had done the same for me when I was little.  :salute:  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 06:20:43 PM
All joking aside - this is a great job. It will give your young uns a good grounding in tool use before graduating to the bladed version. I wish my dad had done the same for me when I was little.  :salute:  :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  I grew up with pocket knives and BB guns back in the 80s and 90s and spent quite a few years in the Boy Scouts and camping.  Granted I was a little older when I got my first knife, but given my pocket knife interest, I figured I could get the boys started with a kid friendly version while they were still young.  Getting familiar with the tools and how to properly use them without getting pinched should help prevent a few cuts later on.  While this Explorer mod is ham fisted, it seemed the best way to accomplish what I wanted given they will likely be lost at some point (I mean, they are kids).  I'm not sure why Victorinox doesn't make a bladeless version of some of their more popular tools.  How much more would it cost to make an Explorer without cutting implements from the factory?  It'd work well for kids, travelers, and those who can't carry blades for whatever reason.  I'd probably buy 6 right now.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words fellas.  I grew up with pocket knives and BB guns back in the 80s and 90s and spent quite a few years in the Boy Scouts and camping.  Granted I was a little older when I got my first knife, but given my pocket knife interest, I figured I could get the boys started with a kid friendly version while they were still young.  Getting familiar with the tools and how to properly use them without getting pinched should help prevent a few cuts later on.  While this Explorer mod is ham fisted, it seemed the best way to accomplish what I wanted given they will likely be lost at some point (I mean, they are kids).  I'm not sure why Victorinox doesn't make a bladeless version of some of their more popular tools.  How much more would it cost to make an Explorer without cutting implements from the factory?  It'd work well for kids, travelers, and those who can't carry blades for whatever reason.  I'd probably buy 6 right now.

My guess is since the blade layer has the corkscrew if you remove that layer they have no back scale witour the cutout  to use so they'd have to make a new back liner and scale. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

My guess is since the blade layer has the corkscrew if you remove that layer they have no back scale witour the cutout  to use so they'd have to make a new back liner and scale.

Plus, that would no longer be a SAK :pok: :D

Love the mod BTW :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:02:15 PM
If my memory serves me,I'd a look at making a bladeless SAK a few years ago. Pending me finding the thread,a standard can opener and cap lifter will mate up to the main blade/cork screw back spring...

I'll be back in a bit...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:24 PM
Well,that's the thread I was after

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34029.msg554633.html#msg554633

I wonder if Rahmeds photos are still available :think: ...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:13 PM

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:44 AM
Lots cool mod ideas in this thread. :like:

This was my approach to the bladess SAK... Swiss Army Knifeless that is...

Details here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=68332

gr Offline firiki

Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:33:37 AM

Details here:

It's missing a fish scaler but I like it :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:08 AM

Details here:

Yup... I took it out... hahaha... Thanks :cheers:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:39 AM

Details here:

I was -mostly- joking  ;) That's a great bladeless version of a SAK. Add the cyber tool and in-line awl, if you care for those, and you have the ultimate toolset.

Some might say you need a spatula to achieve the ultimate toolset but not me :D :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 12:21:18 PM

Details here:

I was -mostly- joking  ;) That's a great bladeless version of a SAK. Add the cyber tool and in-line awl, if you care for those, and you have the ultimate toolset.

Some might say you need a spatula to achieve the ultimate toolset but not me :D :cheers:
I know... :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44