Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Good pen, easy carry, maybe tactical?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Good pen, easy carry, maybe tactical?
on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:01 PM
Ok, as some of you know I'm looking for a pocket notebook to start carrying, well, you kinda need something in order to make it work, no? Well the wife found a nice little notebook to get me for Xmas, so I'm trying to figure out what to use to write with. I carry a homemade pen in my wallet, it's basically a ink cartridge with a bobbypin heatshrunk to it, works great, just kinda a pain to have to take the notebook out, then the wallet out get the pen, then put the wallet back, bla bla bla,, only got two hands, now another pen I have is a keychain pen, which is also great, starts small then goes full size, but then you got to play with the keys(better then the wallet) so I started thinking, I have a tactical pen I bought WAAAY back, an expensive one too(mil-tac), the only thing that sucks is when you want to write you got to hold the cap because it doesn't stay on the other end like a normal pen. So I was thinking what about a cheap tactical pen? Their like $5 and up, but just one with a pocket clip so I can just tuck it away, I mean of course it will be cool to have a glass break and other junk, but I was just wondering what's out there? Anything kinda simple, not to huge, and most important, one that you don't have to hold the other end while writing? Or if anyone else has any other ideas for a easy carry? I even thought of an old school bullet pencil, basically holds a golf pencil but turns it full size but then flip it and back to small size, and a pencil you don't have to worry about running out of ink?
JR
IMG_5192.PNG
* IMG_5192.PNG (Filesize: 235.19 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Good pen, easy carry, maybe tactical?
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:29:58 PM
I bought this Schrade "tactical" pen before travelling to Washington, D.C., where they are very much opposed to any form of self-defense tools in the museums and other tourist attractions.  It is well made, and aesthetically appealing IMO.  A little on the heavy side, but built to last.

https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCPENBK-Tactical-Pen/dp/B003AACADM

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:47:02 PM
I bought this Schrade "tactical" pen before travelling to Washington, D.C., where they are very much opposed to any form of self-defense tools in the museums and other tourist attractions.  It is well made, and aesthetically appealing IMO.  A little on the heavy side, but built to last.

https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCPENBK-Tactical-Pen/dp/B003AACADM
That looks pretty much identical to my tactical pen. I can't find one that I saw before, it was a pilots(not name brand) but it had a little green led tip that made it great for writing in the dark, there was also one just like it that was for star gazing, but I just can't find them.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 02:05:15 AM
I'm probably the oddball here, but given how many times I nearly lost my $20 Fisher .375 Hornady bullet Space Pen, I've came to appreciate whatever knife some company gives me at a trade show.  Bic Click Sticks are what I use the most.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:19:11 AM
https://www.amazon.com/LED-Pen-Pilots-Night-Writer/dp/B00GTZR31O
Sorta, the one I saw was metal and thinner, on top of that like $90! So totally out of my range, but when I found that one back in the day I found an almost identical one used for stargazing, at least that's what it fell under, yet it was like $19, so who cares what category they mark it as, lol.

On a diff note, I happened to look up UZI tactical pens, and one I saw was $22, yet somehow I looked on amazon and I saw the same identical pen for $3, it just doesn't say UZI, needless to say the wife bought it, lol. Hey for $3 it's cheaper then going to wallyworld and getting an ok pilot, zebra, or bic pen..
JR
IMG_5203.PNG
* IMG_5203.PNG (Filesize: 56.24 KB)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 07:29:53 AM
I have a few of those. I think the Uzi branded ones have an extra compartment at the spike part.

They work well as pens as you just have to twist them to use them - they look normal. They are noticeably heavy and use standard, Parker type refills.

Mine are used regularly for writing and they look like new. You can keep one in your car, in your pocket etc
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:41 PM
I have a few of those. I think the Uzi branded ones have an extra compartment at the spike part.

They work well as pens as you just have to twist them to use them - they look normal. They are noticeably heavy and use standard, Parker type refills.

Mine are used regularly for writing and they look like new. You can keep one in your car, in your pocket etc
I just want something better then a simple plastic Bic I got a least 90 of those, and something with a good clip or small that tucks away, but I don't really need a striking pen but it looks cool, I guess we'll see how much I like it come xmas? Since I won't be getting that and the notebook till then as a present from the wife.. I freaking HATE down time!
JR

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 06:41:54 PM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 06:51:03 PM
Have you looked at the fisher military?
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-NonReflective-Military-Matic-SM4B/dp/B001NXDFC8
You mean this one?

Yeah, it's a nice pen, one of the many pens I have..
JR
IMG_5209.PNG
* IMG_5209.PNG (Filesize: 276.23 KB)

us Offline NAB

• Swiss Army Hedge Knight
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 02:02:19 AM
Why not just modify that zebra 701 in your picture to accept a space pen refill? That is what I did with my notebook wallet and it works a treat.
Sent from Galactica (BS-75)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 02:17:03 AM
Why not just modify that zebra 701 in your picture to accept a space pen refill? That is what I did with my notebook wallet and it works a treat.
The 701 turned into a bolt pen rather then a clicky, that would be nice!
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 02:29:52 AM
Given the requirements of cost and tactical but also not having the 'tacticool' look I'd go for a sharpie. Not a big deal if you have to give it away either  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:14:02 PM
I just pick one up from Big5 for $9.99.

Don't think I will carry it but it isn't too bad for the price.
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Humvee+Tactical-Pen-with-Carbide-Tip/0510134190062/_/A-5117783#.WDYGMfkrL4Y

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:15:55 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 10:37:41 PM

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Humvee+Tactical-Pen-with-Carbide-Tip/0510134190062/_/A-5117783#.WDYGMfkrL4Y

(Image removed from quote.)
I just bought one for $3..
JR

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 10:43:49 PM

JR
I know, I like to have the item in my hands before I pull the trigger, and support local business when I can. $7 different I can live with.

On a side note.
It is NOT a weapon by definition but it looks so badass and overbuilt ( aggressive and threatening) that people most likely will think it is dangerous. Defeating its purpose.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:55:03 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:52:00 PM

JR
I know, I like to have the item in my hands before I pull the trigger, and support business when I can. $7 different I can live with.
Yeah, sometimes it's better to pay the couple extra bucks, I bought that from amazon for the $3, yet if I paid $6 it would have been prime and I would have gotten it in two days, so I probably won't get it till December, but, in my case I don't care since it's an Xmas gift so it doesn't matter.. that and I won't have to know it's here and I can't use it.. lol
JR

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 01:50:27 AM
Quick update on my tactical pen, I sent it back for refund after it got kicked out from the court house today.
The guards knew what it is, defining it as a "weapon".

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:31 AM
Quick update on my tactical pen, I sent it back for refund after it got kicked out from the court house today.
The guards knew what it is, defining it as a "weapon".
Ouch! That's another reason I want one just plain and simple, but hefty so it won't break..
JR

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 02:06:47 PM
https://www.amazon.com/LED-Pen-Pilots-Night-Writer/dp/B00GTZR31O
Sorta, the one I saw was metal and thinner, on top of that like $90! So totally out of my range, but when I found that one back in the day I found an almost identical one used for stargazing, at least that's what it fell under, yet it was like $19, so who cares what category they mark it as, lol.

On a diff note, I happened to look up UZI tactical pens, and one I saw was $22, yet somehow I looked on amazon and I saw the same identical pen for $3, it just doesn't say UZI, needless to say the wife bought it, lol. Hey for $3 it's cheaper then going to wallyworld and getting an ok pilot, zebra, or bic pen..
JR

Too tactical to flight under radar...  :whistle:

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:08 AM
How about multitool Pens? They tend to be stoutly constructed and have fidget value to boot.
I edc both a Cleo Messograf and a Troika construction.
I have several years worth of use out of both without issue. :)

Edit: Just noticed the troika micro. The pen uncrews from the keychain and sports a precision screwdriver bit (compatible with a Vic Cybertool) and capacitive stylus.

I'll be picking this one up myself :dd:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:06:54 AM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 12:48:31 PM
What makes a pen tactical? :think:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 12:58:31 PM
What makes a pen tactical? :think:

If it's black...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 01:11:48 PM
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:10 PM
Well, I've been looking around and I really want a bolt pen, but then it kinda hit me, why pay anything more then $10 for something you might just lose? I mean how many of you take your normal bic pens and cut them down to fit as a pocket pen? The other thing are those inka pens, a good keychain pen, use short or do all the unscrewing flip the parts around and you end up with a full size pen! Well like I said, I was looking around and I found a little something,

A pokka pen, basically takes the same concept of both the bic and inka and puts them together. Just keep in your pocket, when needed pop apart, and use or flip and pop it together and have a full size pen, but best of all their like 3 for $10. Yet to top it off I spoke to the manufacturer and yeah the round bic ink cartridges will fit if cut down. I think these look like the ultimate little pocket pen? Tell me what you guys think?
JR

https://www.pokkapens.com
IMG_5825.PNG
* IMG_5825.PNG (Filesize: 19.79 KB)

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 01:23:03 PM
I have a few "tactical" pens; some scream weapon while others are more low key. My favorite though is the Zebra F701. It's a pen that looks like a pen but is built like a tank. I practiced using it as a pain compliance device as well as a stabber and it's come through with flying colors. I've carried it into a lot of different NPEs without a single eyebrow being raised (especially when it's clipped to a note book or carried in a shirt pocket).
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 03:26:28 PM
I carry a tactical pen in my coat pocket. Alongside a Rite in the Rain top spiral notebook.
It's a Böker+ .45cal pen which has a bolt action release. It can be easily used with one hand.

The bolt action is very easy to used though it confuses some people though. That's not a big deal, as I do most of the writing with it.
It takes Lamy cartridges which work really well.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 04:54:10 PM
I have a few "tactical" pens; some scream weapon while others are more low key. My favorite though is the Zebra F701. It's a pen that looks like a pen but is built like a tank. I practiced using it as a pain compliance device as well as a stabber and it's come through with flying colors. I've carried it into a lot of different NPEs without a single eyebrow being raised (especially when it's clipped to a note book or carried in a shirt pocket).
Yeah I must say the 701 is one of my fav, I even turned two into pencils back when they first came out when I spoke the mfg and they said that they were not going to make them.. I just love the knurled grip, I even have one that is a cross between a 701 and one of those bic blue white 4 in 1's. A metal with knurled grip 4in 1, with 3 colors and a pencil, I'll see if I can find it and take a pic.
   My only thing is I'm after something for a everyday pocket carry, and maybe something a little bit more designed for it, cause I think if I sat on one of those the treads would just snap..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 09:25:00 PM
Found it!
JR
IMG_5848.PNG
* IMG_5848.PNG (Filesize: 270.21 KB)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:21 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:33:11 PM by alexTOOL »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56