Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heritage/New PST vs Rebar 516

Hero Member Posts: 853
Heritage/New PST vs Rebar
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
Right then.

My first LM (or multi-tool of any sort) was my issued OG PST way back (think 80's) by the British Army, as a trial. I lost it  :facepalm:

I'm thinking that I might replace it (for the sake of posterity) but used ones are a gamble and most are on the bay of fleas, who won't ship to the UK  :rant:

So, do I spring for a Heritage PST (the UK prices are scary, with a capital SCARY  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh ) or do I go for a Rebar?

The advange of the PST is non-locking blades (this is an issue in the UK) but the I'm not overly concerned  :dunno:

Begin... :duel: :rofl:

They don't like it up 'em!
No Life Club Posts: 4,144
Re: Heritage/New PST vs Rebar
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 08:34:11 PM »
Rebar. The Heritage PST, in my opinion, is insanely priced for what it is. It's designed for hardcore and cash-laden collectors who don't mind shelling out $120-150 for what should be $60 at most, and forgoing all the fancy markings and packaging.  LM really should've had a non-limited remake at a price similar to the Rebar, given how the toolings used are all new. I think it would've sold far better, and at $60, the Heritage-style leather sheath could've been included.

Even comparing it to my 1990s PSTs, the Rebar is better. Handles that don't cut into your hands when putting a lot of force ,a somewhat more aggressive file, better PE blade shape and thickness, aggressive serrated blade, extremely fast cutting woodsaw, all locking implements (which in your neck of the woods, is a big no-no, unfortunately), sturdier pliers, and replaceable cutters (given I screw mine up quite often on hardened wire, that's more of a plus than the minus it used to be with me). Not to to mention, instead of the clunky tool adapter, the ability to use an adapter that allows use of 1/4 bits--and it will take most adapters on the market, not just the LM one--Gerber, Ganzo, LM, etc--basically as long as the shaft is square, it works.  All at a weight and thickness less than 50% more than the PST.   Heck, the other day, I was doing some light carpentry work improvising a shelf to divide an old bearing crate I keep some stuff in; and I had the Rebar in my lightweight cotton shorts without issue.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,773 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »
 :iagree:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
No Life Club Posts: 4,977 Smurf it!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
Cody got it right, I paid a lot less for an original PST than I did for the heritage.

I have the rebar EDC and the legality of that has yet to be tested in court. Also bear in mind that even though there is no lock on the PST, if you close the handles it can be interpreted as a locking blade.

Swisschamp or Ranger for me now :tu:

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
Cody got it right, I paid a lot less for an original PST than I did for the heritage.

I have the rebar EDC and the legality of that has yet to be tested in court. Also bear in mind that even though there is no lock on the PST, if you close the handles it can be interpreted as a locking blade.

Swisschamp or Ranger for me now :tu:
I think it's the Rebar then, thanks to the very informed opinion of the masses  :tu:

That said; it'll have to wait a few months as I've just bought a Mini from Sos24 (still waiting, bloody USPS/Royal Mail etc  :rant: ) and I really do need to replace my Surge, and we know that won't be cheap  :ahhh

As for the locking blade thing; when it was my job to enforce such laws (on the streets that is) I would always apply the law as was/is (see cut & paste below from gov.uk)

I should add here that I'm talking about knife blades (not the bladeless type you are carrying GF)

Lock knivesLock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:
  • have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a  screwdriver or can opener
But, then again, I was always reasonable and would take into account the circs and reasons offered (i.e. not in a car park in the middle of the night when found hiding in bushes/under cars and or wearing a balaclava (or possibly not now given the face covering Covid defence  :rofl: )

Regardless, I'm not going to be be loitering around the local Multi-Storey "tooled up."

Moreover, like the esteemed members of this site, I am unlikey to attract the attention of Her Majesty's finest and, even if I was to do so, I would have a reasonable excuse (your Honour  ;) )
So, thanks to all who contributed to saving me £100++  :woohoo: (anyone selling a PST anyway  :facepalm: )
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:17:38 PM by SurgeUk »

Global Moderator Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 47,326
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:44:07 PM »
Look for a used PST they are hard to beat for size and pocketability.
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,945
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:38:06 AM »
I'd agree with SteveC. PST is still a fine tool. Theres threads somewhere about my KST conversion,which is a bladeless PST for UK legality. All that and the fact I'm not a fan of the Rebar

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
I'd agree with SteveC. PST is still a fine tool. Theres threads somewhere about my KST conversion,which is a bladeless PST for UK legality. All that and the fact I'm not a fan of the Rebar
Thanks for the response Steve & Kirk.

I have looked around for a used PST, in reasonable condition, but the issue is posting it to the UK (no chance on Flea-Bay)

That means getting one from here really (as you are all paragons of virtue and trustworthy beyond reproach :salute: )

The locking blade thing is not an issue (Rebar) as I won't be wandering the streets with it and I will need a blade regardless.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and, unless someone wants to sell an original PST, then the Rebar it is  :tu:

No Life Club Posts: 4,977 Smurf it!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 08:29:05 PM »
Thanks for the response Steve & Kirk.

I have looked around for a used PST, in reasonable condition, but the issue is posting it to the UK (no chance on Flea-Bay)

That means getting one from here really (as you are all paragons of virtue and trustworthy beyond reproach :salute: )

The locking blade thing is not an issue (Rebar) as I won't be wandering the streets with it and I will need a blade regardless.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and, unless someone wants to sell an original PST, then the Rebar it is  :tu:

I'm pretty sure some kind member in the US can help you out with that  :tu:

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
No Life Club Posts: 3,547
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
The PST wins in terms of its retro vibe, light weight and small size on the belt or in the pocket. Though only marginally thinner and lighter than the Rebar, it makes a noticeable difference. The Rebar is in all other respects superior IMO.  So it depends on which characteristics make your leg tingle.

Hero Member Posts: 537
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
    I would get a Rebar. Multitools have come a long way since that PST was made, and the Rebar is superior in every way. I own 2 PST's, and have only used one....barely. It is too small, very uncomfortable to handle, the tools clump and are difficult to deploy ( the ones on my Rebar also are!), and they do not lock. The PST is good for historical reasons and nostalgia!  :salute:
Global Moderator Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 47,326
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 11:54:48 PM »
    I would get a Rebar. Multitools have come a long way since that PST was made, and the Rebar is superior in every way. I own 2 PST's, and have only used one....barely. It is too small, very uncomfortable to handle, the tools clump and are difficult to deploy ( the ones on my Rebar also are!), and they do not lock. The PST is good for historical reasons and nostalgia!  :salute:

In your opinion of course   :pok:
Hero Member Posts: 907
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
Surge, if your not against modifying, maybe get a Rebar and ramp the blades' inside stops with a file or Dremel, enough that the lock does not fully engage on them. Here's a picture in which I've pointed to the stop; just an idea. 🤔
Hero Member Posts: 537
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 12:18:55 AM »
In your opinion of course   :pok:

Of course!  :tu: :multi:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,093
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
In my opinion, the biggest downside on the Anniversary PST is the price, if not for that, it could stand next to the Rebar, being a bit less good at some points, and a bit better at others...

I bought 3 of the Anniversary PST's when I found them on sale at -70% discount at a local store, which made them a bit cheaper than a brand new Rebar over here.

Here's my personal opinion on them:

The PST is remarkably less thick, not saying that the Rebar isn't pocket friendly but the PST just wins this one.

The cutting edge on the blade is longer on the PST, and I prefer the classic blade shape over the one on Rebar. Oh, and the blade on the PST is a bit thicker.

The same can be said about the file, while having the exact same pattern and roughness, the one on the Rebar is positioned in bit of a weird way.

The Rebar does feel more comfortable when it comes to handle shape.

The Rebar has the replaceable cutters and the better plierhead (like I said, in my opinion).

And here are some side by side pics (pics were taken while daylight was fading, so some of them are a bit out of focus...):

This last one is a pic of specific tools that are on the Rebar and not on the PST, and vice versa (the finest flat driver on the Rebar is still a size up from the one on the PST in my opinion, that's why I gave the PST the "exclusive" fine flat driver).

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 60,415
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »
Great points for each the Rebar and the PST :cheers: :like: they are both great choices to me and I don't think you will make a bad choice with either one of them, Surge :salute:

Thanks for those comparison pics as well, TG :tu: :like:
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,580 Born to multitask.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 11:56:45 AM »
Show content

Can we please have the PST's lanyard ring on the Rebar?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,093
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
Can we please have the PST's lanyard ring on the Rebar?

Nope...

On the Rebar you get this awesome thingy that you always forget it's there until you deploy the file and it shows itself  :2tu:.

:whistle:
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 60,415
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
 :iagree: :facepalm: :rofl:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,740
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
 :pok: I have a Rebar and JPST I'd be willing to sell ya.  Let me snap some pics of the JPST or if you're interested I also have a PST2?  I'll pm ya and we can work out the details. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »
:pok: I have a Rebar and JPST I'd be willing to sell ya.  Let me snap some pics of the JPST or if you're interested I also have a PST2?  I'll pm ya and we can work out the details.
Sounds like a plan (and thanks for the offer)  :hatsoff:

The biggest issue for me is getting the damn things here (from there) I'm still waiting for the Mini I bought off Sos24 to arrive  :ahhh

Apparently, according to the USPS it's here (UK) and left Heathrow on Weds' 28th en-route to me but, according to the Royal Mail (RM) it's still in the US  :think:

I'm sure it'll arrive soon but the wait is killing me... :wait:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,773 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »
I hear you. I sent a fellow member a package and it just arrived in his country yesterday or so. I sent the package on 05/05/2020!  :o

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
I hear you. I sent a fellow member a package and it just arrived in his country yesterday or so. I sent the package on 05/05/2020!  :o
FFS!!!  :facepalm: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $220.00
PayPal Fees: $11.60
Net Balance: $208.40
Below Goal: $91.60