Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Disassembled Leathermans on eBay 413

Hero Member Posts: 594
Disassembled Leathermans on eBay
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Has anyone else noticed this cottage industry on eBay of people apparently disassembling new Leathermans on eBay and then selling the components at exhorbitant costs.  The sum of parts must be 10 or 20 times the tool price!

I wonder how profitable this actually end up being? 

Full Member Posts: 157
Re: Disassembled Leathermans on eBay
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »
Has anyone else noticed this cottage industry on eBay of people apparently disassembling new Leathermans on eBay and then selling the components at exhorbitant costs.  The sum of parts must be 10 or 20 times the tool price!

I wonder how profitable this actually end up being?

I noticed that too. The same happens with guitars, that's a whole industry as well.

Sometime ago I got what looks like the insides of a ST300, a Rebar, a modded Rebar and a modded Wave in a local trade. Seems like a lot of work to stick those on eBay seperately, maybe that explains the high asking prices?

No Life Club Posts: 2,118
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
I am pretty sure there will be people buying them. That's why are a few of them on the bay. Some are pretty fair price. One of them I notice always at ridiculous price.. Come on.. $24 for 1 piece of Wave handle..?! :facepalm: There will be some people that probably really want "just" a replacement knife or some other parts to repair their existing tool. Buying a whole beat up tool can be a hit and miss kind of thing. And might even cost much higher if they are not looking at the right place.
Newbie Posts: 31
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »
Hmmm, maybe this is how I can get the new style pliers with replaceable wire cutters for my Charge Tti. I really can't see buying another whole tool just to get the pliers I want, although I might before the sale is over in July ($15 off until then).

I wish Leatherman would just let me order the pliers I want and let me change them out.  It's not like I can't do it since I repair copiers for a living (hundreds of more parts in those things).
Hero Member Posts: 800
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 07:24:40 PM »
It is much much much more lucrative to sell the components separately than together in a mod...why I still not 100% sure.

I've sold a few custom Hybrids and they were for way less than if I sold the components and undercut the guys on ebay.
Hero Member Posts: 661
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
I just saw a ST 300 pliers head for $52.  I just bought the whole tool for $39.
No Life Club Posts: 3,891
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »
I just saw a ST 300 pliers head for $52.  I just bought the whole tool for $39.

My model with MOLLE sheath was $27. Used ones I've seen as low as $25.

In my opinion, if I break something, I just send it off to Oregon. That's $8; tracked and insured.  Provided, that's where most of my tools go, given both Gerber and LM are in Portland. And same with Kershaw, though I have yet to send off a Leek in horrible shape I was sent by seller carelessness and complete lack of well whatever when they wouldn't take it back.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,901
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »
Except for Europeans and others parts of the world.
Insured shipping to the US? $105

And no warranty claim at any dealer without a receipt. So once you buy a second hand LM, you have no more warranty...

Buy now or regret later
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 08:06:46 PM »
Except for Europeans and others parts of the world.
Insured shipping to the US? $105

And no warranty claim at any dealer without a receipt. So once you buy a second hand LM, you have no more warranty...

They never asked me for a receipt, but maybe your importer has a different policy. Also, would they really expect you to still have one after say 20 years?
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,901
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 08:27:18 PM »
They never asked me for a receipt, but maybe your importer has a different policy. Also, would they really expect you to still have one after say 20 years?
Talk to TopGear24 :D
He's got plenty of story about that.

Buy now or regret later
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 08:29:36 PM »
Talk to TopGear24 :D
He's got plenty of story about that.

:popcorn:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,060
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:44:56 AM »
I'll try and post my experience with the Belgian importer tomorrow.

I had to work the evening shift, and we had to work overtime. So got home, took a shower, fell asleep in front of the TV for an hour or two, dragged myself upstairs to do a final MTO check to find this...

I wanted to post a short response to say that I would post again tomorrow, but now I'm starting to think that maybe I would've been better off posting my experiences (which isn't that much to begin with) instead of this rambling...

Oh well, too bad, this rambling is all you guys get for now...  :P

TG-24 is very sleepy now...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $5.00
PayPal Fees: $0.49
Net Balance: $4.51
Below Goal: $295.49