Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cheapies and the Gerber Suspension

Offline mikekoz

Cheapies and the Gerber Suspension
on: November 20, 2016, 04:58:17 PM
   Like a lot of you, I buy low priced multitools. Why? Because they are cheap!!  :D I have purchased several over the past year, but after looking at what I have purchased, from a practical point of view, did I waste a lot of money? I probably spent anywhere from $20.00 to $35.00 on these tools, but after digging up my Gerber Suspension, I have to question myself. The Suspension seems to be superior in almost every way to the low end tools I got, and it cost about the same, or less than the cheapies. I know it is not loved on this forum, but take these points into consideration.

1. All tools on the Suspension lock. I have got to the point where I will hesitate to by a tool that has no locking mechanism.
2. The Suspension has all of the tools I look for on a multi. Scissors, saw, two blades, and no fish scaler!!  >:(
3. The tools are all accessible without opening it.
4. I like the Suspensions feel and weight. It feels like it will do the jobs it was designed to do.
5. It seems to be the most copied multitool, as far as its outer shell design

I know a lot of us, including myself, buy these things because we just collect them, but other than that, Why pick a no name brand tool over the Suspension? Also consider that you can also buy low end US made Leatherman's for the same price as these cheapies, and they become more irrelevant! Thoughts anybody??

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Cheapies and the Gerber Suspension
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 08:29:26 PM
Well, I agree that the Suspension is above most MTs on that price range. It is only comparable to the Ganzo tools for the $, and even those do not have all-locking implements.
The real issue I believe, is:
a. Spring loaded pliers, which reminds most MTOers of chepo tools and Chinese crap. Even though I like the spring on my wingman and love the feel on my Gerber Legend and MP700, makes more comfortable wire cutting for me
b. The Bear Grylls name, and stamp, which is present in most of the worst, sh*ttiest products that Gerber has brought up in the last decade, and bring bad looks and opinions as most of the BG stuff is pure garbage
c. The phyisical similarity (beefy, thick, color scheme, tool display) to most sub-par Multis out there
d. The fact that Leatherman has similarlyt priced offerings, which appeal to most (myself included) much more, and Gerber has their own MP600/MP400 and others that cost justa  bit more or the same as the Suspension, so why not get those directly? (stronger, better regarded, not Chinese made, better QC...)

I've had my share of cheap/inexepnsive MTs and I'd rather get a second hand LM, Gerber or SOG before a new Suspension, or just save a bit more and upgrade to a MP600, Wingman or Diesel/Flik. I think this is the general opinion here.  :salute:

But as you do, I enjoy many of my cheaper tools as much, no problem with that!

Here at MT.org there's a place for everything, and everyone!   :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:57:05 PM
I broke a Suspension once handling it in a store..... ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline mikekoz

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:15:43 PM
I broke a Suspension once handling it in a store..... ::)

??? :P   How in the world did you do that? I know it is not a high end tool, but mine seems really solid.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:16:06 PM
I had the locking mechanism failing on me, and I NEVER abuse my tools. Had to fix it myself.

After I dropped it during work, the cast iron pivot on one end broke in half.
Fixed it myself using a small metal bolt and nut (costs next to nothing, but Gerber saw it as a no-go).

After a second drop (those drops were not high btw) the, yet again cast iron, spring that keeps the plier handles in the open position broke off.

So when I open it now, 1 handle just swings around.

Thrown it in a drawer for parts, got myself a NIB Charge AL for almost 1/3 of the retail price here, costing me as much as a new Suspension would cost me in store. (€70)

And a second hand Swisstool X for half that price (€35)

And a TSA seized Swisstool Spirit S BO for €55.

All in all: save money and buy second hand, top of the line tools, for the retail price of overrated junk.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:24:56 PM
Well, I agree that the Suspension is above most MTs on that price range. It is only comparable to the Ganzo tools for the $, and even those do not have all-locking implements.
a. Spring loaded pliers, which reminds most MTOers of chepo tools and Chinese crap. Even though I like the spring on my wingman and love the feel on my Gerber Legend and MP700, makes more comfortable wire cutting for me
b. The Bear Grylls name, and stamp, which is present in most of the worst, sh*ttiest products that Gerber has brought up in the last decade, and bring bad looks and opinions as most of the BG stuff is pure garbage
c. The phyisical similarity (beefy, thick, color scheme, tool display) to most sub-par Multis out there
d. The fact that Leatherman has similarlyt priced offerings, which appeal to most (myself included) much more, and Gerber has their own MP600/MP400 and others that cost justa  bit more or the same as the Suspension, so why not get those directly? (stronger, better regarded, not Chinese made, better QC...)

I've had my share of cheap/inexepnsive MTs and I'd rather get a second hand LM, Gerber or SOG before a new Suspension, or just save a bit more and upgrade to a MP600, Wingman or Diesel/Flik. I think this is the general opinion here.  :salute:

I have wanted to try the Ganzo 301, but I cannot find a US source for them. I have one of their knives, and it seems really nice for the price. I was looking at a BG multitool a while back, but all it is, is a Suspension with different handles. Bear Grylls does not even seem to use the tools with his name on them on his show. MP 600's are in another category and can cost twice as much as the Suspension. I have about six of them of various types. I have a MP400, but it a bit too small for my taste. Nice collection there by the way! That larger tool you showed in the first pic is a Flip, correct? I have one of those somewhere. I got it at an auto parts store years ago. Nice US made tool!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:28:07 PM by mikekoz »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:54:40 PM
The Gerber Suspension is one of the few tools in the 'bargain price' realm I haven't yet tried. As they're on clearance at my local Home Depot, I might have to rectify that. I DO think they're probably worth $20.

I don't think an often-copied design is necessarily a sign of 'good' design. It might be a sign of 'easily manufactured' design. Or, put bluntly, 'easy to produce cheaply'.

And rather hilariously, some of the design decisions made on the Leatherman PST, a very simple, yet elegant design, are missing on knock-offs. Things that were well thought out, that cost nothing to reproduce... just not there.

I don't have high hopes for the Gerber Suspension, but then, I am a big fan of the Leatherman Sidekick. So... who knows?

And I DO think that at $20 new, it might currently be the best multi for the money. Understanding, I'm talking new, here, not what you could find used on ebay or whatever.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:51:01 PM
The Gerber Suspension is one of the few tools in the 'bargain price' realm I haven't yet tried. As they're on clearance at my local Home Depot, I might have to rectify that. I DO think they're probably worth $20.

I don't think an often-copied design is necessarily a sign of 'good' design. It might be a sign of 'easily manufactured' design. Or, put bluntly, 'easy to produce cheaply'.

And rather hilariously, some of the design decisions made on the Leatherman PST, a very simple, yet elegant design, are missing on knock-offs. Things that were well thought out, that cost nothing to reproduce... just not there.

I don't have high hopes for the Gerber Suspension, but then, I am a big fan of the Leatherman Sidekick. So... who knows?

And I DO think that at $20 new, it might currently be the best multi for the money. Understanding, I'm talking new, here, not what you could find used on ebay or whatever.

I am surprised you do not have one! The Suspension has been around a long time. Mine has to be over ten years old, but I do not remember exactly where or when I bought it. Oddly enough, I have two of the Leatherman original PST tools, and only have them for their historical value. I find them clunky and uncomfortable to use. I think their later tools greatly improved on it, like the current Rebar. I even find the Sidekick and Wingman better.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:46 PM
The current issue Suspension is not a bad tool, but it is a low end or entry level tool.

Early ones were plagued by serious quality control issues and represent a dark time in Gerber's history.  We actually received several Suspensions to give away at the time (part of our second or third anniversary maybe?) and one of them arrived broken.  In a blister pack.  :facepalm:

Since Gerbe got a handle on the QC issues the Suspension has become a very use able tool.  It's still not on parking with a Charge, but I'd certainly consider it on par with the Sidekick/Wingman and better than the Rev.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:56:22 PM
It's still not on parking with a Charge, but I'd certainly consider it on par with the Sidekick/Wingman and better than the Rev.

"Bah!" I say. "Harumph" says I.  :D

I did some pretty abusive things to a Sidekick, and it would take the Gerber a LOT to impress me as much as the Sidekick did.

However, it kinda feels like a gauntlet has been thrown. I'll have to see about getting a Suspension now.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 12:06:59 AM
The current issue Suspension is not a bad tool, but it is a low end or entry level tool.

Early ones were plagued by serious quality control issues and represent a dark time in Gerber's history.  We actually received several Suspensions to give away at the time (part of our second or third anniversary maybe?) and one of them arrived broken.  In a blister pack.  :facepalm:

Since Gerbe got a handle on the QC issues the Suspension has become a very use able tool.  It's still not on parking with a Charge, but I'd certainly consider it on par with the Sidekick/Wingman and better than the Rev.

Def

I have three Charges, and they are $150.00 plus tools. Not even in the same ballpark as the Suspension. If the newer Suspensions are better, I may have to look into getting an updated one to see the diff!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 12:12:15 AM
I had the locking mechanism failing on me, and I NEVER abuse my tools. Had to fix it myself.

Fixed it myself using a small metal bolt and nut (costs next to nothing, but Gerber saw it as a no-go).

After a second drop (those drops were not high btw) the, yet again cast iron, spring that keeps the plier handles in the open position broke off.

Thrown it in a drawer for parts, got myself a NIB Charge AL for almost 1/3 of the retail price here, costing me as much as a new Suspension would cost me in store. (€70)

All in all: save money and buy second hand, top of the line tools, for the retail price of overrated junk.

This is not fair.

You always can buy a Gerber Suspension cheaper on Ebay

How much would cost a LM Charge AL or Victorinox Swisstool in a store? Probably more.

The comparision must be equivalent

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 12:26:29 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Here at MT.org there's a place for everything, and everyone!   :cheers:

I see a Sharper Image Flip Grip in there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:03 AM
No mention about the others such as the Resolve, Method, Crux, Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi Tool, Ripstop, EVO Tool, and Tread? The Suspension isn't the worst tool that Gerber has ever made, despite their crappy quality control when it was first introduced. I personally think the Gerber Radius takes that crown from the Suspension.

I have always pondered this question...was it Gerber's Suspension that started what I like to think is the Chinese generic multi-tool shape (Ganzo), or was it just convenient for Gerber to borrow that general shape for their Suspension line. Either way, the shape is not the best out there. I also can't help but to think whenever I see a multi-tool out in the wild with that general profile...that it will be a cheap tool in general, despite these tools being somewhat overbuilt overall. This is because of the cheap tool selection many of these have to offer inside.

With that said, you are right, the Suspension isn't all that bad of a tool overall. There are just far better tools out there.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:15:12 AM
I saw this at the HD too, but I used my better judgment and thought I could put that 20 towards something more high end. So I bought the gerber prodigy with the fine edge.  But now I think I might have to still give it a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline mikekoz

Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:17:48 AM
No mention about the others such as the Resolve, Method, Crux, Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi Tool, Ripstop, EVO Tool, and Tread? The Suspension isn't the worst tool that Gerber has ever made, despite their crappy quality control when it was first introduced. I personally think the Gerber Radius takes that crown from the Suspension.

I have always pondered this question...was it Gerber's Suspension that started what I like to think is the Chinese generic multi-tool shape (Ganzo), or was it just convenient for Gerber to borrow that general shape for their Suspension line. Either way, the shape is not the best out there. I also can't help but to think whenever I see a multi-tool out in the wild with that general profile...that it will be a cheap tool in general, despite these tools being somewhat overbuilt overall. This is because of the cheap tool selection many of these have to offer inside.

With that said, you are right, the Suspension isn't all that bad of a tool overall. There are just far better tools out there.

Funny you should mention the Radius. I have not used mine in a long time, but I thought it was a decent tool. It has some of the most comfortable pliers I have ever used in a multi, and I love the side opening tools. I also liked the scissors and the fat blade. Maybe that it was large and did not have a ton of tools on it made it unpopular. Back to the Suspension though. I think it did start this thing with the Chinese generics. A lot of Suspensions have been sold, you can tell by looking at the reviews on Amazon. It has also been one of the easiest tools to find in brick and mortar shops. But its design is original. A lot of these copies are the same tool with different handles. I have about three off brand multitools now that are duplicates of other tools I own. The most recent one is a Seed brand. After getting it, I realized I already had a tool like it with the name Cereruso on it.   There are better tools out there, but are there better ones for $20.00 to $25.00??
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:34:04 AM by mikekoz »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 03:07:37 AM

Def

I have three Charges, and they are $150.00 plus tools. Not even in the same ballpark as the Suspension. If the newer Suspensions are better, I may have to look into getting an updated one to see the diff!

That was my point.  They aren't a Charge, but then the price isn't the same as a Charge either.

The question is, at five times the price (roughly) is the Charge worth five Suspensions?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 04:04:26 AM

Def

That was my point.  They aren't a Charge, but then the price isn't the same as a Charge either.

The question is, at five times the price (roughly) is the Charge worth five Suspensions?

Def

Same for buying buying steeltoe boots at Walmart at $50 vs. Red Wings boots at $200+. They perform the same function, both should probably save your toes for being squashed, but do you expect the same level of construction, comfort, and durability for both? Same for multitools. Tool life expectancy, tool performance, personal enjoyment, "tacticool-ness".... should be factored in the real cost.

On average, a Charge cost me about 4 times a Suspensions. :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:05:42 AM by chrono »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 10:10:00 AM

This is not fair.

You always can buy a Gerber Suspension cheaper on Ebay

How much would cost a LM Charge AL or Victorinox Swisstool in a store? Probably more.

The comparision must be equivalent

There's a site online here that sells stuff like that at ok prices.
Charge AL: €146
Swisstool X: €140

Just noticed that the suspension became cheaper, and realised mine came with a sort of paraframe folder in gift tin.
Just the tool: €50

Second hand, UNUSED Swisstools go for €40-65.
an unused suspension for 25.

Since €40 isn't breaking the bank, I know what I'd pick.

Ofcoarse this might be a totaly different case in other markets, but I myself can't bring myself to buy another Suspension.

Maybe another broken one for the parts.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 04:53:19 PM

Flip indeed.

One of my favorite cheap MTs   :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 11:14:53 PM
Darn you MTO, darn you....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:24 PM

Def

Offline mikekoz

Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 07:47:19 PM
    We went to Home Depot today and I was going to pick up one for $19.99. They showed two on their inventory, but apparently they had been stolen.  >:D  Our next stop was Lowes Hardware. They had one, but would not match the price. The girl who helped me said that it had to be the same model number as the one at Home Depot. I tried explaining to her that Gerber only makes one tool called the Suspension, but it got to be a big hassle so we left. The multitool gods were just not kind today, but I did pick up an Irvin tool with the long vice grips, driver, and knife. I tried to get one last year, but they were all gone by the time I decided I wanted one!  :D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 09:19:33 AM
I do agree that the Suspension is a fairly decent tool, mine seem to have a bit of trouble with the locking but nothing major. What I do mind about them though is that it almost seems like the designers went out of their way to design a heavy tool and to make every implement stubby.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #24 on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:40 AM
I do agree that the Suspension is a fairly decent tool, mine seem to have a bit of trouble with the locking but nothing major. What I do mind about them though is that it almost seems like the designers went out of their way to design a heavy tool and to make every implement stubby.

I agree about the tools in it being a bit too short, but as far as the weight goes, it weighs about as much as a tool its size and build would weigh. The only way to make it lighter would be to remove some tools from it, use less metal, or make it out of a lighter metal, such as titanium. My first two ideas would make the tool less useful and weaker, and if they used titanium, it would be in another price range. I do not understand sometimes why a lot of folks have a problem with the weight of multitools. If it is a full sized tool, it is going to be heavier. That is the nature of the beast. Over the weekend, I had a Leatherman Surge and a LG V10 smartphone on the right side of my belt. The V10 is also in an Otterbox case and is a large 5.7" phone. I did not notice they were there. I guess if I put the Surge in my pocket, things would be a lot different, but these larger tools were not designed for that. A small or medium sized tool, like a Skeletool, might make more sense. Anyhow, I may make one more attempt this weekend to get another Suspension.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 01:21:20 AM
   I found another Suspension at Sears and they matched Home Depots $19.99 price, so I picked it up. There is no visible difference between the new one and my old one.  :think:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 02:23:27 AM
Flip indeed.

did you put small pliers on the outside of those two multi tools?  They didn't come that way did they?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 03:40:23 PM
Flip indeed.

did you put small pliers on the outside of those two multi tools?  They didn't come that way did they?

they do   :D

My toys:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:27 PM

Wow,  I just looked up a bunch of pictures of them.  now I want one.   :-[

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 10:42:07 PM