Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hello and a thank you.

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Hello and a thank you.
on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:35 PM
Hello! I've been lurking multitool.org for about a month now and thought I should get my butt in gear and sign up .

I have wanted to own a multi tool for a while but was unsure how much I'd use it, and stumbled across the "What did you use your leatherman for today?" thread. After two pages I decided to buy a tool! I just got a cheap no brand multi tool from China just to see how I liked it because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something better and dislike carrying it. While waiting for it to arrive I've read every post in that thread and many others.

So far I've really enjoyed carrying this around with me even though I haven't had much chance to use it yet, but I'm sure it will come. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I'll definitely be getting an upgrade in the future.

So I want to say thank you . Thank you for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of multitools, and how useful they can be . Thank you for the plethora of information you have given me, the different tools, their pros and cons, what you like and don't like .

Thank you

Danielle.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:57:28 PM by Damsel »
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Hello and a thank you.
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:37 PM
Welcome !
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 06:17:11 PM
Welcome! :cheers:

We would love to see pics of the tool you are carrying. :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 06:40:08 PM
Welcome aboard, very smart idea! I must say I've done similar on other things not knowing if I'm going to like it and don't want to waste money, so buy the cheap imitation to find out and see if it's worth doing!

If you have any questions don't hesitate, you might get a wacky answer(that's just how some of us are :whistle: ) lol, but I'm sure you'll get a true answer :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:55:26 PM
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers: I have already welcomed you in another thread and I hope you find the tool that is right for you :tu:

Since you are in the UK I would suggest getting a PST II if you can find one :tu: They have a good tool selection and are non locking but only come in stainless steel  :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:04:05 PM
Welcome. In case you can't find a PST II like Poncho suggested, a knifeless Rebar might be worth a look. While mine was a regular Rebar that was modified to be knifeless, it has been permitted even in a courthouse a few days ago
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:22:54 AM
Welcome to the forum Danielle  :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 03:33:10 AM
Welcome to the forum!  Glad to have you.

I've often issued a challenge in the past to people who either don't carry a multitool or SAK, or are considering it- carry it for a week or two, then try leaving it at home for a few days.  If you find you miss it, then you know you are one of those people that should probably carry one.

Starting with a cheapo isn't a bad idea- it helps you decide what you like and don't like so that you can make a better informed decision when you decide it's time to spend the money on a better one.  Still, I warn you to be careful with it as many cheapos suffer from poor materials, poor casting and poor assembly, all of which can affect the usefulness of the tool and can pose a safety hazard.

I hope you will let us know how your experiment progressed.  We all enjoy hearing about that kind of thing.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 03:37:36 AM
Welcome aboard.
That noise you can hear is your credit card whimpering in fear. ;-)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:24:47 AM
Welcome,  The PST2 is a great MT tho maybe a Squirt would also suffice?  The pliers are very nice and the tool has a nice array of tools.  Small enough to put into a pocket or hang from a keychain.  I carry a P4 myself and just love it.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 06:58:53 AM
Welcome to your new addiction, we're there is no cure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:52 AM
Hello!  :)
Did you consider the Swiss offerings? Swiss Army Knives usually have no pliers but you might like one.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:34 PM
WOW! This has to be the warmest and friendliest welcome I've ever had on a forum, thank you so much .

Thank you for the tool suggestions everyone, I appreciate it and will definitely check them out. I'm sure there is the right tool for me out there.

Welcome to the forum!  Glad to have you.

I've often issued a challenge in the past to people who either don't carry a multitool or SAK, or are considering it- carry it for a week or two, then try leaving it at home for a few days.  If you find you miss it, then you know you are one of those people that should probably carry one.

Starting with a cheapo isn't a bad idea- it helps you decide what you like and don't like so that you can make a better informed decision when you decide it's time to spend the money on a better one.  Still, I warn you to be careful with it as many cheapos suffer from poor materials, poor casting and poor assembly, all of which can affect the usefulness of the tool and can pose a safety hazard.

I hope you will let us know how your experiment progressed.  We all enjoy hearing about that kind of thing.  :D

Def

Thank you for the advice, I will try leaving it at home for a few days but I'm already confident I'll miss it :D . I put it on my bedside table when I go to bed and it goes straight in my pocket when I get dressed.
I understand it won't be as durable or safe as a higher quality tool so I'm not expecting too much from it, at the same time I won't be as upset if it fails on me. I'll make a topic around the end of the month or so talking about how it went. Would it be better suited to general tool discussion or the cheap tools section?

Welcome! :cheers:

We would love to see pics of the tool you are carrying. :)

I'll get some photos posted in the near future when I post about my first experience :)

Hello!  :)
Did you consider the Swiss offerings? Swiss Army Knives usually have no pliers but you might like one.  :cheers:

I have a Swiss Army Knife (or a replica) that I found a few years ago but I haven't been too fond of it. I found it difficult to access some of the tools and a little inconvenient to use, but it might have just been this individual tool .

Danielle
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 04:18:13 PM
I didn't say hi yet?! :O

Hello and welcome!

Please make sure your Swiss Army Knife was genuine, otherwise it's not a reference.

When you feel it's about time to upgrade, be sure to check out the trade section on the forum.
Alot of nice stuff looking for a good home there, at fair prices.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 04:31:58 PM
Either General or the Cheap forum is fine- we aren't huge sticklers here about what goes where.  :D

I'm just looking forward to hearing your experiences with it, and what you like, didn't like, thought could be improved on etc.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:31 PM
Welcome aboard  :cheers: I look forward to the review  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:28 AM
Welcome to the forums. :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41