Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

Best Fishing MT

Leatherman PST 2
3 (30%)
Victorinox Fisherman/Angler
0 (0%)
Leatherman Wave
1 (10%)
Victorinox Skipper
1 (10%)
Gerber MP400
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted 10

Which is the Best Fishing Multitool? 325

Sr. Member Posts: 479 Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities
Which is the Best Fishing Multitool?
« on: June 23, 2019, 02:51:28 AM »
Which is best for the Tackle-box and why? I personally prefer the PST 2 (hook sharpener) but I'm curious to hear your thoughts! 😊

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,410 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Which is the Best Fishing Multitool?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 03:34:46 AM »
Add another vote for PSTII. :tu:

It just screams fishing tool and has everything you need for basic fishing tools.

That said, if I wanted a fishing tool to use, I'd use the FliK Fish by Gerber. Absolutely perfect set of outboard tools for fishing. OHO knife blade and coated file with hook sharpener. :)

They are too expensive to use for fishing though. I paid over $100 for mine NIB, but they usually go higher in great condition. :ahhh

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
No Life Club Posts: 2,849 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:35:13 AM »
Interesting list.  Several very useful tools not on the list.  Coast fishing tool, Renegade and Winchester fishing tools (Gerber knockoffs), and the SOG Black Tip. Of the items you've chosen I choose the PST II.

"Drink your big black cow
And get out of here." -  Steely Dan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:36:39 AM »
Interesting list.  Several very useful tools not on the list.  Coast fishing tool, Renegade and Winchester fishing tools (Gerber knockoffs), and the SOG Black Tip. Of the items you've chosen I choose the PST II.
Good call on the Winchester/Renegade. Cheap as dirt and work OK. No tears when the waters claim it. :woohoo:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
No Life Club Posts: 2,849 Lifelike and remarkably self similar
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:38:31 AM »
Add another vote for PSTII. :tu:

It just screams fishing tool and has everything you need for basic fishing tools.

That said, if I wanted a fishing tool to use, I'd use the FliK Fish by Gerber. Absolutely perfect set of outboard tools for fishing. OHO knife blade and coated file with hook sharpener. :)

They are too expensive to use for fishing though. I paid over $100 for mine NIB, but they usually go higher in great condition. :ahhh

+1 on the FLiK.

"Drink your big black cow
And get out of here." -  Steely Dan
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:41:07 AM »
 :cheers:

Gerber would do well to start making the FliK Fish again. Maybe with some minor alterations to simplify the plier's engagement method.

Global Moderator Point Of No Return Posts: 37,839
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 09:12:25 AM »
What type of fishing though?

Salt water rocks, surf or boat: I currently use a mp400 fisherman and a blacktip. Both somewhat modified.
Fresh water fly or spin: anything victorinox with pliers and scissors. If going after eels then I take the mp400/blacktip.
Also carry a spike and a bait/gutting knife.

Cleaning a sak or leatherman after fishing is a major pain.
The gerber and sog are much easily to clean and dry.

My next fishing plier will probably be the williamson double leverage 9 inch, just waiting for them to go on sale.
Sr. Member Posts: 479 Another day, a whole 'nother set of possibilities
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
Wow! I never realized there were so many specialized fishing multitools!  :like:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
No Life Club Posts: 1,019
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 11:14:49 PM »
I voted MP400 as the best of the tools you listed.  As others have already pointed out, there are even better alternatives out there.  One not already mentioned is the Buck X-tract (discontinued?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:15:10 AM by smiller43147 »

- Steve
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,098

Nix us

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 11:46:17 PM »
My current favorite fishing multitool is the Tinker Deluxe:

No Life Club Posts: 3,560
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
What type of fishing though?

:iagree:

My current favorite fishing multitool is the Tinker Deluxe:

(Image removed from quote.)
Lamson..........  :drool: over those back in the day.

Nymphing a freestone river was the peak of my fishing life, never carried a multi tool but that little Victorinox could work  :salute:
No Life Club Posts: 2,814
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
Unfortunately I don't fish..
But I used to collect  :D

So if ever the urge came I could decide between the flik fisherman, mp400 fisherman, Winchester fisherman or any of the 3 Mp600 fisherman, failing that I could just settle for the mp650 with the fisherman head attached.

Wait, that's 7 dedicated tools, enough for each day of the week!! :woohoo:

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,944 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 11:35:04 AM »
Oddly enough, I found that the John Benzen Super Fisherman by Chicago Tools to be the near perfect fishing tool. If you scroll down this old thread, you will see it.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73254.msg1529813.html#msg1529813

I would say if you can land this one...you got yourself the best fishing tool...just not sure how available these are in your neck of the woods.I know up here, it is a rare tool.

Listed below that are the COAST Pro Fishing tool. This tool would be a good choice as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:42:59 AM by Chako »

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Full Member Posts: 213
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »
I have many multi tools but the SOG Blacktip is my favorite for fishing. The pliers on this tool are exceptionally long which really helps remove hooks from fish. Knife blade is very easy to get to and the sheath that came with the tool is nice and sturdy. The Blacktip was once very reasonable and mine came from the West Marine catalog for around $30. They have since gone way up in price and West Marine no longer carries them either. A great fishing partner if you can find one at a reasonable price! :multi:

NRA Life member

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38
Below Goal: $129.62
Site Currency: USD