Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats the oddest, neatest, coolest item you carry.

Aloha · 155 · 7562

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Whats the oddest, neatest, coolest item you carry.
Reply #120 on: September 22, 2019, 01:56:49 AM
I’m not sure it is odd but a 3ml vial of Benadryl gel and a single use tube of super glue.  Both came in handy on my recent trip, to include most of the other items in my pocket organizer.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #121 on: September 24, 2019, 04:09:25 PM
What a great thread! :like:

I carry a picture of an Austrian family.
I was a waiter and we got talking. I mentioned I collected coins and they asked for my address. A few months later, I received some Austrian coins (before the Euro) from them. :cheers:
Since then, which is probably twenty years, I carry their letter, photo and a stub from the envelope in my wallet.

More edc related, but not stuff most people carry:
An assortment of nuts and bolts, hook screws, wood screws, paper clips, binder clips, nal clips, safety pins, twisty ties, zipties, buttons, fishing hooks, cord stoppers, and other bits and bobs, all in a mint tin.

Also, a blackhead popper, a shoehorn, a toothbrush, inter-dental brushes, dental floss, plastic cutlery, resealable peanut bags (empty), two massive ziplock bags, chopsticks, a box handle, drinking straws, shopping bags, card stock, nutmeg begleri, WD-40, jumbo protractor, belt keepers, candles, empty gum box.

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: September 24, 2019, 04:13:32 PM
I’m not sure it is odd but a 3ml vial of Benadryl gel and a single use tube of super glue.  Both came in handy on my recent trip, to include most of the other items in my pocket organizer.

Certainly qualified in my opinion.  Thanks for participating.  I always find it super fascinating what people carry other than "essentials" or how they carry essentials like in your case. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:23:07 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: September 24, 2019, 04:22:55 PM
Neat story and items RP.  Thank you.  Its interesting what we have in our possessions, the why, and related reasonings are all things I find fascinating.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: September 27, 2019, 05:16:23 AM
Not terribly odd, neat, or cool, maybe, but perhaps somewhat less common items that I carry are a pair of Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers/A.G. Russell Field Tweezers, and a Tick Key.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: September 27, 2019, 05:52:08 AM
Everyday?  I'd say it would be a bit odd if you carry a tick key in an urban environment  :think:, different at least. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #126 on: September 27, 2019, 05:29:16 PM
I made these two larger ones a while back just using a simple 2” cotter pin / split pin, I carried these on a keychain but then over time stopped cause they were a little big,

Then about a year ago we were waking over to the store and I saw a bolt just laying on the ground, at first we past it but then I came up with the idea while in the store so I hoped it would still be there, and well it was, so I grabbed it, the Mrs is like can’t you just leave anything alone? I filed the threads off to make the bolt as narrow as possible to allow as much tape, then fastened the two nuts tight against each other and made a simple dome like thingy to put on the  keychain, now there’s only about 18” of gorilla duct tape unlike about 4’ in that other pic, but you don’t know it’s there and it has come in handy twice!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: September 28, 2019, 01:50:53 AM
Everyday?  I'd say it would be a bit odd if you carry a tick key in an urban environment  :think:, different at least.

It's rare that I get to a truly urban environment.  Mostly suburbs and rural areas/woods.  But yes, I carry it every day.  I just keep it on my keys; it's not much bigger than a key, and is probably lighter. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: September 28, 2019, 01:58:53 AM
It's rare that I get to a truly urban environment.  Mostly suburbs and rural areas/woods.  But yes, I carry it every day.  I just keep it on my keys; it's not much bigger than a key, and is probably lighter.
Mine is in my pouch that goes with me when hiking in the woods. They do work great! Used mine a couple of times  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: September 28, 2019, 06:53:47 AM
@ Nate, Pretty interesting.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #130 on: September 28, 2019, 06:55:20 AM
@MadP, that for sure is neat.  I used to pick up anything shiny on the ground.  I'd come home with random things all the time. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #131 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:43 PM
@MadP, that for sure is neat.  I used to pick up anything shiny on the ground.  I'd come home with random things all the time.
One other time I saw something but didn’t pick it up, I thought it was just a nickel, yet I got mad and when we walked back my eyes were open and I found it, in which I did, come to find out it was a bridge token!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: November 17, 2020, 12:06:33 AM
Still carrying the green crystal and still cannot find my ticket stub.  I did find this 1907 coin on the ground.  I started to carry it for no other reason than its neat. 
IMG_1692.jpg
* IMG_1692.jpg (Filesize: 83.91 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #133 on: November 17, 2020, 01:39:18 AM
Very cool find, Aloha :o Wished I could luck up on some change like that :drool: :tu: :like:

I carry a double ended PH2 Phillips/T25 torq/star bit in lieu of my regular single sided PH2 Phillips bit :cheers: It helps me carry an extra bit for a battery impactor in the same small size form factor :cheers: I also carry a small synthetic ruby magnifying glass in my wallet :tu: it has many uses as well :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: November 17, 2020, 06:22:07 AM
I've always picked up any money I see on the ground be it pennies or whatever.  I have always been luck to find money on the ground.  One time at the fleamarket I found $20 on the ground.  I never hesitate to pick up money laying on the ground.  I saw the coin and immediately stopped and looked at it.  I was surprised to see 1907 on it.  It just neat that a 100+ year old coin was just sitting there. 

Neat items you carry.  I have this weird fascination about what things people carry and why. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Kaelriee

Reply #135 on: November 17, 2020, 08:18:43 AM
A harmonica. I'm never without one.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #136 on: November 17, 2020, 08:32:32 AM
Apart from member on this forum, most people I meet thinks it's odd that I carry pliers in my pocket  :facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #137 on: November 17, 2020, 10:51:57 AM
I pick up coins, too. Only €0.10 or more, though. I don't bend down for less than that.

(Go ahead, Reinier...)

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
Ok, oddest, neatest, coolest item I EDC. It's a credit card sized magnifying lens. I've had this for ages. It protects other cards from rubbing together and has been useful lots of times, while reading the fine print in documents.

:tu: :tu:

Mag card 01.jpg
* Mag card 01.jpg (Filesize: 191.69 KB)
Mag card 02.jpg
* Mag card 02.jpg (Filesize: 197.89 KB)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #139 on: November 17, 2020, 11:19:20 AM
I've always picked up any money I see on the ground be it pennies or whatever.  I have always been luck to find money on the ground.  One time at the fleamarket I found $20 on the ground.  I never hesitate to pick up money laying on the ground.  .

I also pick up any money I see lying on the ground.  The most I ever found was Au$ 350.00  I handed it in to the police, but no one ever claimed it so I got it back (eventually).  Most times it is only 5c coins (the lowest value coin in circulation here), but I still pick them up.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #140 on: November 17, 2020, 12:46:03 PM
I've always picked up any money I see on the ground be it pennies or whatever.  I have always been luck to find money on the ground.  One time at the fleamarket I found $20 on the ground.  I never hesitate to pick up money laying on the ground.  I saw the coin and immediately stopped and looked at it.  I was surprised to see 1907 on it.  It just neat that a 100+ year old coin was just sitting there. 

Neat items you carry.  I have this weird fascination about what things people carry and why.

I always pick money up as well :cheers: Never found anything that old though :drool: It is neat to see what people carry, especially if it is different than the norm :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #141 on: November 17, 2020, 12:48:16 PM
Ok, oddest, neatest, coolest item I EDC. It's a credit card sized magnifying lens. I've had this for ages. It protects other cards from rubbing together and has been useful lots of times, while reading the fine print in documents.

:tu: :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I use to carry one of those as well :cheers: It became to scratched to use and that is why I eventually replaced it with the synthetic saphire one :tu: Over a year in my wallet adn not a single scratch :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #142 on: November 17, 2020, 12:49:12 PM
Apart from member on this forum, most people I meet thinks it's odd that I carry pliers in my pocket  :facepalm:

Only odd til they need it :whistle: then it is seen as the best thing ever to carry to them for a moment :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #143 on: November 17, 2020, 12:50:35 PM
A harmonica. I'm never without one.

Very interesting :o I have always had a harmonica since I was young but never could play it well :facepalm: I have always wanted to but never put the time in to learn well :shrug:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: November 17, 2020, 01:11:29 PM
Only odd til they need it :whistle: then it is seen as the best thing ever to carry to them for a moment :D

Yup, same with my knives and my friends...

:twak: :twak:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #145 on: November 17, 2020, 02:17:26 PM
I carry my tefillin (generic pic shown, mine aren't as new looking  :D ) with me everywhere along with a prayer book and currently the book of Genesis. Not unusual here at all but probably unusual relative to the rest of the world.

For many years I carried a little silver Hamsa pendant presented to me when I was 19 years old. I was staying up near Haifa with the parents of well known Broadway singer. It was just about this time of year. The father had been in Auschwitz and took me on Friday night to pray in a little synagogue near his home. It was a 'Holocaust Memorial' synagogue, built by survivors, and even then in 1999, few were still around. An old man came over and gave me that little silver pendant. When I asked why he said 'it's so rare we get see the young with us any more'. I cherished that little pendant and carried it always. I only wish I could share a picture but it was lost one sad day. When I got engaged I found a very similar pendant in gold and had it made into a necklace for my wife. To this day she's never worn any other necklace.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:06:02 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: November 17, 2020, 03:26:29 PM
I’ve always wanted to learn how to play a harmonica, I have one sitting in my closet along with about three books,,

As for money, huh, why not? Once the kid and I were walking to the store and found a $20, hey free candy bars and soda for us! :whistle: Another time the Mrs and I saw a Visa gift card, we were like ahh, there’s no way, so we did our shopping and as we were waiting to be picked up we called in to check and sure enough there was $50 on the card! Nice thing was it was around Xmas I think,,

And who doesn’t pick up coins, it’s suppose to be good luck, it’s the Mrs who looks at me like I’m nuts! Like I said a little back I did find a bridge token once..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #147 on: November 17, 2020, 03:40:45 PM
Thank you for posting. 

Kaelriee, a harmonica is pretty neat.  I love the sound of the harmonica. My moms second husband played in the bathroom and I can still hear it when I think back. 

Max Stone, you're right plier is a odd thing to carry to many  ;)

gregozedobe, nice find.  I'm also glad you got it back.  Our lowest coin is a penny but not low enough for me not to pick up  :D.

pfrsantos, Neat for sure.  I like to carry a magnifying card as well.  Mine is no where neat carried as long but boy is it needed more and more  :whistle:.

pomsbz, sad to hear you lost the hamsa.  What a special gift it was.  I had to look up tefillin, pretty neat. 

Again thank you for sharing what you carry.     
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #148 on: November 17, 2020, 03:49:54 PM
Thank you for posting. 

Kaelriee, a harmonica is pretty neat.  I love the sound of the harmonica. My moms second husband played in the bathroom and I can still hear it when I think back. 

Max Stone, you're right plier is a odd thing to carry to many  ;)

gregozedobe, nice find.  I'm also glad you got it back.  Our lowest coin is a penny but not low enough for me not to pick up  :D.

pfrsantos, Neat for sure.  I like to carry a magnifying card as well.  Mine is no where neat carried as long but boy is it needed more and more  :whistle:.

pomsbz, sad to hear you lost the hamsa.  What a special gift it was.  I had to look up tefillin, pretty neat. 

Again thank you for sharing what you carry.   

I also carry a Knipex 125, I'm thinking of adding the knipex needle nose equivalent at the same size. That would make me really weird right? :D I have an LM Charge but you just can't compare the real thing, even in mini, to a MT for when you really need the job done properly.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: November 17, 2020, 03:53:06 PM
Those little Knipex are pretty great looking and I'm sure performers. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD