Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SI Owners Club

magentus · 620 · 27202

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: SI Owners Club
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:01 PM
The bail on both of the SI's I had were both sloppy and flopped around a bit. Since I attach a lanyard, it's no biggie, plus I started out in life with a boy scout knife, so I'm use to it. It's just part of the knife's character.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 11:26:45 PM
The bail on both of the SI's I had were both sloppy and flopped around a bit. Since I attach a lanyard, it's no biggie, plus I started out in life with a boy scout knife, so I'm use to it. It's just part of the knife's character.

Thanks for the response. I attached a lanyard to mine also. I think I prefer it to flop around anyway.

us Offline getahl

Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 11:43:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I attached a lanyard to mine also. I think I prefer it to flop around anyway.

My 04 is pretty tight. The only issue I have with it is if I get complacent, and accidentally close the blade on the bail.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 11:46:48 PM

My 04 is pretty tight. The only issue I have with it is if I get complacent, and accidentally close the blade on the bail.
This is what I've been afraid of doing since I got mine. Guessing this is the reason you don't see a bail on traditional folders as much anymore.

us Offline getahl

Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 03:23:13 AM

This is what I've been afraid of doing since I got mine. Guessing this is the reason you don't see a bail on traditional folders as much anymore.

If I'm honest, I don't care all that much about the SAK. It's a knife to be used. I've had the new one about a week, and came with a wee chip out of the blade, toward the point, about half a centimeter from where it would contact the bail IF it closed on it. It was brand new in box, so no idea how it happened. Heck, my favorite Recruit is one that I bunged up with my knife box, which is a .50 cal ammo box that sits in the garage. The keyring nub got caught between the box and the lid, and I forced it down with quite a bit of force. This caused the liner to deform a little, and the little blade started rubbing, or wouldn't close all the way, or something. It's been a while, so my memory is a little hazy. Anyhoo, I bent it back, I think with a hammer and something acting like a striker. The blade is still off center, and there's a burr on the keyring nub, but it's what I use when I don't give a rat's patoot about a knife.

tl;dr - I'm going to use it whether it's pretty or not.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 03:57:29 AM
Yeah! You can make one easily from coat hanger wire - The one on my SI Farmer is hanger wire.

I made one out of a brass rod (that was meant to become 84mm SAK pins...) as a proof of concept:
Very nice! Looks really good M  :salute:
Thank you  :D
I used angled shape to make the brass stiffer by fritting  (based the design on cellidor bails)

Pros: brass is soft, so the bail shouldn't break the blade if it closes on it...

Cons: brass is soft, too much pull force / torque will distort the bail our pop it out.

Potential workaround: using spring wire forced into the right diameter of brass tubing to get both soft outer material and stiffer overall piece?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 12:45:24 PM
SI for Monrogue Monday, plus Spirit:
WP_20161128_004 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 10:38:11 PM
A little over a week carrying just the SI. Today was the first day where I could have used scissors, but I made due. Has anyone ever added scissors to an SI? Is it even possible?
IMG_5781.JPG
* IMG_5781.JPG (Filesize: 264.52 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 12:40:46 AM
Yeah! You can make one easily from coat hanger wire - The one on my SI Farmer is hanger wire.

Some great pics everyone :like: I wish at times mine had a bail :ahhh I would add a suspension clip to it and I think it might end up in the EDC rotation again :D :like:

You could make one  :pok:

I made one out of a brass rod (that was meant to become 84mm SAK pins...) as a proof of concept:

Well after a bit of encouragement from here, I decided to go with some brass rod that fit in the knife that I bought the other day along with the (hopefully) correct diameter of pin stock for my mod :tu: Took just a couple minutes and I may make another one now since I know the correct length and hopefully the next time I don't scar the brass with my pliers :whistle: :D

20161128_173005 by Poncho 65, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:44:32 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 02:28:12 AM

Some great pics everyone :like: I wish at times mine had a bail :ahhh I would add a suspension clip to it and I think it might end up in the EDC rotation again :D :like:

Well after a bit of encouragement from here, I decided to go with some brass rod that fit in the knife that I bought the other day along with the (hopefully) correct diameter of pin stock for my mod :tu: Took just a couple minutes and I may make another one now since I know the correct length and hopefully the next time I don't scar the brass with my pliers :whistle: :D

Looks great Ponch!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 02:33:09 AM

Thanks SG :hatsoff: I think I will add a suspension clip to it now and carry it some this week :tu: Especially Wednesday :whistle: :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 04:44:45 AM

Thanks SG :hatsoff: I think I will add a suspension clip to it now and carry it some this week :tu: Especially Wednesday :whistle: :D

:salute:  :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: November 29, 2016, 05:55:46 AM
Nice job Poncho   :tu:

us Offline irona

Reply #43 on: November 29, 2016, 05:56:57 AM

Gorgeous work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2016, 09:36:26 AM
Great job ponch! All Bail poncho!  :cheers:

00 Offline FA Tre

Reply #45 on: December 04, 2016, 06:33:23 AM
I'll play by -FA_Tre-

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 05:21:17 PM
I'll play by -FA_Tre-
Welcome FA - Trezzle  :salute: Nice set up.  :tu:

00 Offline FA Tre

SI Owners Club
Reply #47 on: December 04, 2016, 05:36:30 PM

Thank you

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 02:24:09 AM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: December 05, 2016, 02:26:00 AM
Thanks guys :hatsoff:  The bail has been a nice addition to the SI and it will see at least a day or so a week carry :salute: I love the blade on the 93mm range and wished the 91 mm range had just a tiny bit more substantial blade :D

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 06:49:36 AM
Thanks guys :hatsoff:  The bail has been a nice addition to the SI and it will see at least a day or so a week carry :salute: I love the blade on the 93mm range and wished the 91 mm range had just a tiny bit more substantial blade :D
;)
That was expected  :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 05:12:30 PM
Count me in!!

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 05:47:20 PM
Count me in!!
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice leather pouch!
And now I want to make one for mine :facepalm:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 06:36:14 AM
Count me in!!

Nice leather pouch!
Thanks! I got this one from Collectors Knives online. Good site and good to do business with

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 07:40:21 AM
Count me in!!

Nice leather pouch!
Thanks! I got this one from Collectors Knives online. Good site and good to do business with

Thank you for the tip, they seem to have a great amount of interesting accessories!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 04:37:50 PM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 04:45:33 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:30 PM
Great pics Steve and Mags :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:29 AM
Great pics Steve and Mags :cheers: :cheers: :like:

+100!!!!   :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:40 PM
I love this SAK.
(And better than my Vic Soldier or the DAK, No idea why)
SI_on_redTubes.jpg
* SI_on_redTubes.jpg (Filesize: 151.81 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%