Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fiddling with SAKs

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Fiddling with SAKs
Reply #30 on: September 25, 2023, 10:48:37 PM
That's good feedback, thanks!  :tu:

Thanks, but I just realized I used the word "bitholder" both for the bitholder and the bit magazine :facepalm: Well, I guess one can figure out from the context what I meant. ::)

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #31 on: September 28, 2023, 06:24:10 AM
I am guilty as charged. My wife thinks I am crazy, but I like everything on my desk and fiddle with them throughout the day. I am sure coworkers wonder what the snapping sound is on conference calls when opening and closing implements. I am sure I am crazy too.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #32 on: September 28, 2023, 07:05:50 AM
I am guilty as charged. My wife thinks I am crazy, but I like everything on my desk and fiddle with them throughout the day. I am sure coworkers wonder what the snapping sound is on conference calls when opening and closing implements. I am sure I am crazy too.
I don't think it's crazy.  I remember a famous tai chi teacher once commenting that practicing a tai chi form is a type of simplified consciousness - you are paying attention to the moves of a set routine and trying to do them properly according to a set of rules.  This is a kind of focusing on a limited task which is a sort of rest from our normal monkey mind darting about, worrying and thinking of a million things.

Likewise SAK fiddling is a sort of simplified mind: you are inspecting the knife, opening the tools, being careful not to cut yourself, considering the relationship of this knife to other models, remembering something about the history of this particular knife, etc.  Like a meditation.  Like the original meaning of yoga, your mind is 'yoked' to the form of the tool, its operation, etc.

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 01:24:26 PM
I don't think it's crazy.  I remember a famous tai chi teacher once commenting that practicing a tai chi form is a type of simplified consciousness - you are paying attention to the moves of a set routine and trying to do them properly according to a set of rules.  This is a kind of focusing on a limited task which is a sort of rest from our normal monkey mind darting about, worrying and thinking of a million things.

Likewise SAK fiddling is a sort of simplified mind: you are inspecting the knife, opening the tools, being careful not to cut yourself, considering the relationship of this knife to other models, remembering something about the history of this particular knife, etc.  Like a meditation.  Like the original meaning of yoga, your mind is 'yoked' to the form of the tool, its operation, etc.

:like: :iagree:...great insight and wise words!!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 29, 2023, 06:02:04 AM
^^^ Yes very, very interesting - Not thought of it that way before - But makes absolute sense   

Just like these executive stress relieving fiddling toys - Squishy balls and rotating trinkets etc

Now I have an excuse for the wife/boss  !!  "I need SAKs, and to fiddle with SAKs, for my mental health!! "    :tu: 

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #35 on: September 29, 2023, 06:58:36 AM
^^^ Yes very, very interesting - Not thought of it that way before - But makes absolute sense   

Just like these executive stress relieving fiddling toys - Squishy balls and rotating trinkets etc

Now I have an excuse for the wife/boss  !!  "I need SAKs, and to fiddle with SAKs, for my mental health!! "    :tu:
Totally! 

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #36 on: September 29, 2023, 09:27:35 AM
 :iagree:

Sounds convincing!

(Reaches out for the Vic Laser Flash for some fiddling...)   :facepalm:
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!