Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Most/Least Comfortable Leatherman?

us Offline hsherzfeld

Most/Least Comfortable Leatherman?
on: August 06, 2023, 04:49:45 PM
I was whittling with my PST today and the surprisingly comfortable handling made me wonder which Leatherman tools y’all consider to be the most and least comfortable in handling.

I have two criteria for this question: handles open (using the pliers) and handles closed (using the inner tools).

The same Leatherman  might not be the most comfortable under both criteria; indeed, I consider the PST to be the most comfortable with handles closed, but the least comfortable with handles open.

What do y’all think?
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Re: Most/Least Comfortable Leatherman?
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 05:33:35 PM
I think the only Leatherman I found uncomfortable to use is the pliers/scissors on the Style PS/CS.  I have a Style CS that I was using to trim my nails, but the only way to get a good grip also jabs the handle into my palm.  I tried the pliers on the Style PS on a small nut, and it's the same. 

us Offline BillBarrels

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 07:05:51 PM
I agree with Rich, Style PS/CS aren’t comfortable to use. I own a PS, but carry my Micra instead since the pliers have never been suitable for me.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 07:18:17 PM
I think the only Leatherman I found uncomfortable to use is the pliers/scissors on the Style PS/CS.  I have a Style CS that I was using to trim my nails, but the only way to get a good grip also jabs the handle into my palm.  I tried the pliers on the Style PS on a small nut, and it's the same.

Interesting point you bring up. I carried a Style PS as my EDC multitool when I was in high school because it was bladeless, but I haven't carried one regularly since then and I had forgotten how the pointed end of the scissors handle stabs into one's palm.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

fi Offline Pilotsupergrip

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 04:25:56 AM
My experiences for the most comfortable LM's go to Rebar and Curl. Both feel great in the closed position and Rebar feels here slightly better of the two. Open position is pretty nice on both but I may like Curl here better because the handles have also some flat parts. Both feel good even if using the pliers with force. I think if you took the belt clip of the Curl out, it would be pretty much ideal ergonomics. I dont really notice the belt clip too much.

Got go say Surge is a real pain to use handles closed. If I use the knife to cut wood the other side tools edges dig into my hand so that there will be a red mark for a while (had some for half an hour). Using a tool should never hurt. Using the pliers are ok but as I have smaller hands it gets a bit awkward sometimes.

Some things to consider. Whats the size of your hands? Are you going to use your LM bare handed or with gloves (work)?

Lähetetty minun SM-A426B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Curl, Surge, OHT, Crunch, Micra, Squirt PS4, Style CS, Huntsman, Spartan, Classic SD, Armbar Slim Cut

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 04:58:30 PM
The same Leatherman  might not be the most comfortable under both criteria; indeed, I consider the PST to be the most comfortable with handles closed, but the least comfortable with handles open.

I would agree with you there, and the OG SuperTool is similar.  When the Pulse and SuperTool 200 were designed, the comfort of handles was dramatically improved when open, but at the cost of the comfort of the closed handles, due to the added locks.

I think pretty much anything beyond that in the Leatherman product timeline is reasonably comfortable, but one I would note that I use frequently and don't find very comfortable with open handles is the Skeletool.  There is one edge in particular on the frame that always digs into my palm, and rounding that off with a stone helps.  It really isn't a huge problem since the Skeletool is a medium/light duty tool, and you really don't want to apply so much pressure to it that it hurts in the first place.  In comparison the retired Juice series falls in the same light/medium duty and the handles are much more comfortable; open or closed.

I know we're speaking Leatherman here, but by far the least comfortable plier MT I've used is the SOG Pocket Power Plier.  It is ridiculously uncomfortable when using the pliers.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD