Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rev Owners Club.

Simplon · 142 · 10209

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Re: Rev Owners Club.
Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 09:07:57 PM
 :like:
Nice and shiny Juan, what did you use?

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 09:24:45 PM
Hello JP, and thanks! Took the head out, sanded flat with 600-800 grit W/D sandpaper to remove most of the markings left by the machining (remember..it's a $25 mt, so not much in finishing!!!) and finished it off with a cloth wheel on my Dremel with jeweler's rouge first, and polishing compound. Cleaned it with dishwashing liquid and toothbrush, lubed it, and back on for pictures!

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation Juan, it looks good  :like:

Offline gilson65

Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 11:59:11 PM
Purchased a new rev today very hesitant after reading and watching many reviews on it Very happy I bit the bullet on it apart from the notch position for the blade opening a very cheap purchase for a quality mt 👍🏼

us Offline MTFool

Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:34 AM
 :iagree:  g65   I Carry it when I go somewhere that I might lose it ( on the boat or fishing at the ocean) I like the crossover wire cutters and its non spring loaded pliers
like on  the sidekick or the wingman.... sometime I think I'm the only one that dislikes spring loaded pliers.

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 01:55:24 AM
Count me in MTF! :salute: I also do NOT like sprung pliers; not in MT's nor full size tools. I'm sure they're great for someone who needs to open them constantly, on a day-to-day basis, but not my case.   
I experimented with my MP600 with an external add-on spring like Bobbaero's, but took it out after a week and haven't look back.
Oh and, by the way, great little tool you've got G65! If you're aware of its limitations (light to medium duty) and treat it as such it will reward you well! Beware of the pocket clip because it is somewhat brittle and can snap easily (I'm up to two replacements now, and both times had the knob that prevents the clip from rotating snap :rant:). I carry mine in the jeans' coin pocket so, don't know how it happened. :think:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:05:24 AM by Juan el Boricua »

us Offline MTFool

Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 02:23:54 AM
Thanks J B    I would abuse my Rev way faster than any of my other MTs, just because of the price point..... I try  not abuse  any MTs but sometime you have to.

'You don't know how good  something is till you have to abuse it""

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:55 AM
 :rofl:

Ahhhh...who am I kidding! How in the world will there be "limits" if we do not go beyond them?!?!? I've acid dunked-stone washed it and modified it for THAT same reason! And I won't care if it breaks or gets lost (or given away as a "gateway gift" to an unsuspecting "mt newbie") because of it. May the mayhem begin >:D

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 02:45:07 AM
:rofl:

Ahhhh...who am I kidding! How in the world will there be "limits" if we do not go beyond them?!?!? I've acid dunked-stone washed it and modified it for THAT same reason! And I won't care if it breaks or gets lost (or given away as a "gateway gift" to an unsuspecting "mt newbie") because of it. May the mayhem begin >:D

I like your style :climber: I'm the kind of person who wants the new P2, just so I can take it apart and make it better. I think I void the warranty on every tool I own..

you know...Warranty Voider should be a badge lol.  >:D >:D

us Offline MTFool

Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 02:51:26 AM
'Warranty Voider should be a badge "

I Like that

Well state HG ....That is a good thought      :tu:

Offline stugumby

Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 03:33:39 PM
I bought one when they first came out, paired it up with a micra. Just dont like the handle splay when using the pliers, quite wide and a bit clumsy. Same for side kick and wingman. Still good tools and quite handy for little edc tasks.
Saw the rising prioces too for side kick and wing man and holy crap 140 for a P-4!! so its still a good alternative starting point.

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:58 PM
I bought one when they first came out, paired it up with a micra. Just dont like the handle splay when using the pliers, quite wide and a bit clumsy. Same for side kick and wingman. Still good tools and quite handy for little edc tasks.
Saw the rising prioces too for side kick and wing man and holy crap 140 for a P-4!! so its still a good alternative starting point.

Stu, if you have a Dremel or clone (or even a file) it is quite easy to correct the splay. At the pliers stop (the part on the handles where the pliers rest when deployed), grind (or file) 1mm from each handle/side (this to maintain alignment; you can take 1.5- 2mm from just one handle and have the pliers slightly canted; no functional loss, and works as well). You'll end up with a splay similar to the Wave's or PST's, which is a lot more comfortable and, if you happen to have small hands, more functional too. Good luck!

And smurfin price rises!!! Rev now at $40's here!!!!! :think:  :rant:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:32:51 PM by Juan el Boricua »

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 06:30:17 PM
I like your style :climber: I'm the kind of person who wants the new P2, just so I can take it apart and make it better. I think I void the warranty on every tool I own..

you know...Warranty Voider should be a badge lol.  >:D >:D

HG/Moderators...Where can I second THAT petition?!? :rofl: :tu:

us Offline MTFool

Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 02:37:42 AM
Juan

Thanks for the tip on reducing the splay, I going to give it a go on one of mine

:cheers:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 08:22:51 AM
This doesnt seem to be a popular model (and not sure why) but I love mine.

I got mine as a Secret Santa gift. Then the following year, I gave one as a gift. Foor $35, these were a steal, IMO. Too bad its discontinued.

Any reason why I saw alot of flack for this model? Were the reviewers just being too hard on them?

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 08:49:20 AM
To my best understanding, it is a tool geared towards light-duty, like for switch plates, handcrafts, hobbies; has lots of handle splay from the factory (which hinders use of small-handed people, like me), and has no locking mechanism for the tools. Although there are tools like the PST/PST II, sidekick, and Wingman which do not have it, they have a solid spine that traverse the tool's back and gives more tension to hold the tool in place. The Rev has a split spine which I think does not provide a good amount of tension when, for example, torquing down a screw or bolt.

Having said that, I really like that the pliers are not sprung, its lightness, the factory pocket clip, simplicity, and quality. I made some "improvements" on both of mine making them more to my liking (read enjoyimg the heck out pf them!) such as reducing the handle splay, polishing the pliers, reprofiled the flat drivers, and on one of them reprofiled the phillips' driver to accept a removable bit driver (it fits diagonally).

To me, it is a great light duty/ minimalistic tool that works very well to its intended uses (and then some; as I've been hard on the pliers and they've been on par to my PST II's) and for light/complementary EDC.

Hope it helps a bit, and that you enjoy yours!  :tu:

Edit: Just checked at the Leatherman's web site, and it appears as a current model; also on Amazon, and I've seen it at the big-orange-diy-home-renovation-store!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:56:11 AM by Juan el Boricua »

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #46 on: August 21, 2019, 08:57:09 AM
To my best understanding, it is a tool geared towards light-duty, like for switch plates, handcrafts, hobbies; has lots of handle splay from the factory (which hinders use of small-handed people, like me), and has no locking mechanism for the tools. Although there are tools like the PST/PST II, sidekick, and Wingman which do not have it, they have a solid spine that traverse the tool's back and gives more tension to hold the tool in place. The Rev has a split spine which I think does not provide a good amount of tension when, for example, torquing down a screw or bolt.

Having said that, I really like that the pliers are not sprung, its lightness, the factory pocket clip, simplicity, and quality. I made some "improvements" on both of mine making them more to my liking (read enjoyimg the heck out pf them!) such as reducing the handle splay, polishing the pliers, reprofiled the flat drivers, and on one of them reprofiled the phillips' driver to accept a removable bit driver (it fits diagonally).

To me, it is a great light duty/ minimalistic tool that works very well to its intended uses (and then some; as I've been hard on the pliers and they've been on par to my PST II's) and for light/complementary EDC.

Hope it helps a bit, and that you enjoy yours!  :tu:

I would definitely agree with everything you said. It is a lightweight tool and when youre going against something tough, you can tell. However, I have asked many things from this little guy and he came out on top every time.

After now owning a Surge, it almost feels like a toy. I bought the sidekick to have a similar setup as the Rev, but with the SA pliers and saw.

I did have a bit of trouble (with the Rev) cutting a very thick strap to the point where my pliers were stuck in it. I eventually unwedged it and got it to cut. However, task was completed.

And thats why I will continue to buy Leathermans. Different tools for the appropriate job.

Now...which model do I buy next?  :dunno:

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 21, 2019, 09:07:41 AM
How 'bout an ST300?!?! (I'm biased 'cause its my favorite: that thing is a beast).
😎

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 09:12:32 AM

Having said that, I really like that the pliers are not sprung, its lightness, the factory pocket clip, simplicity, and quality. I made some "improvements" on both of mine making them more to my liking (read enjoyimg the heck out pf them!) such as reducing the handle splay, polishing the pliers, reprofiled the flat drivers, and

Edit: Just checked at the Leatherman's web site, and it appears as a current model; also on Amazon, and I've seen it at the big-orange-diy-home-renovation-store!

My bad;sorry! It HAS been discontinued; it still appears in the canadian web page though. ( And no, I'm not canadian, it was because it was the first link I opened!) :facepalm:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 09:30:02 AM
Ya Ive seen the Rev on the canadian website and other places, but not from LM directly (where I bought mine). No price difference so I bought it straight from the source.

The ST300 looks like a good option. I was considering the Rebar, but the ST300 looks like it except on steroids. And price difference aint much.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #50 on: August 25, 2019, 03:30:03 AM
My bad;sorry! It HAS been discontinued; it still appears in the canadian web page though. ( And no, I'm not canadian, it was because it was the first link I opened!) :facepalm:

I find it odd and sad that the Rev page has just been entirely removed from the LM website. Hopefully it will soon grace the discontinued page.

I like my Rev, it is a very good tool, for the original price(I lucked out and snagged mine for ~$14 during a sale), that I carry for light to medium yard work precisely because it is pretty well made but not valuable enough for me to be too annoyed when I eventually scratch and damage it. They same cannot be said for my Crunch or Charge which, if I'm honest with myself, I baby.

While I don't think it is worth the current asking price (Around $40-45 last I knew) I do think LM needs to have a nice lower cost range that isn't being fulfilled by the Wingman or Sidekick. I think the Rev is better than either of two for several reasons, the main being the spring pliers that are, imho, awful.

I guess I need to pick up another Rev to have a back up now.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 25, 2019, 03:45:05 AM
 :iagree: I do concur with your thinking. Two things would be good for my entry-level tool within this range: either get the Rev/Leap pliers head in the Wingman/Sidekick handles, or give me a solid, one piece spine on the Revs'. Oooohh, and bring it back to $20!
 They're so good as mod fodder; had no second thoughts if they were to fail!!
 :multi:

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 25, 2019, 08:08:37 PM
Here are mine; together. The "older" is the one with the green/yellow fob, dated 04/17; the "younger" one  is 08/17. Both are slightly modified, and if anyone is interested I can list the mods. Comments and critiques welcome.
20190825_135344-989x1476.jpg
* 20190825_135344-989x1476.jpg (Filesize: 187.58 KB)
20190825_135232-1024x1365.jpg
* 20190825_135232-1024x1365.jpg (Filesize: 207.72 KB)
20190825_135143-1024x1251.jpg
* 20190825_135143-1024x1251.jpg (Filesize: 219.08 KB)
20190825_134820-1032x774.jpg
* 20190825_134820-1032x774.jpg (Filesize: 207.01 KB)

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #53 on: August 25, 2019, 10:19:18 PM
Very nice, Juan.

I guess you could say they are " Juan of a kind"  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 25, 2019, 10:26:16 PM
 :rofl: :tu:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #55 on: August 25, 2019, 11:02:43 PM
 :cheers:

I see some places still have Revs instock.

If I didnt have 3 knives, an SAK and a handful of other LM's to buy , Id buy another. Great value for the $35-40 USD

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: August 26, 2019, 01:14:10 AM
There are available at the big-orange-home-improvement-chain-stores, but still at regular price; $40, plus taxes.

Offline stugumby

Reply #57 on: September 02, 2019, 10:46:18 PM
I was t 4 searching at local stores and Acadamy has them at 34.99. But alas no P or T series free in stock.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #58 on: September 12, 2019, 06:39:20 AM
Since my last posting, I have acquired alot.
Esee Izula, SwissChamp, Vic Classic, LM bit kit, LM bit extender, 2 buck knives and....2 LM revs. They had 6 in stock, but I thought thatd be an overkill.

Still need to buy a Micra, Squirt PS4 and a Wave+. Unsure if Ill get a ST300, but its possible.
Of course, will be getting spare saw/file for surge, tiny screwdrivers for Wave and replacement wirecutters for each that have them.

What can I say? More money than brains  :dunno:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:31 PM
Nice bunch of gear, BM :o :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00