Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Geber MP1 vs MP1 MRO?

clown · 15 · 1777

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Geber MP1 vs MP1 MRO?
on: December 01, 2016, 03:47:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone has actually handled both the MP1 and the MP1 MRO.  I'm interested in the MRO and I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one but the only thing holding me back is that I have reservations about the FRN handles on the MRO vs the G10 on the standard MP1.  Not too concerned with durability but I do wonder about traction/grip.  Anyone have any input?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Geber MP1 vs MP1 MRO?
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:54:04 AM
I have both. It is true that the MP1 MRO handles aren't as grippy as the MP1. The MRO feels more plasticky. However I wouldn't let that dissuade you overly much. If it is of much concern to you, I would look at a Series 3 Multitasker instead.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:25:13 AM
I have both. It is true that the MP1 MRO handles aren't as grippy as the MP1. The MRO feels more plasticky. However I wouldn't let that dissuade you overly much. If it is of much concern to you, I would look at a Series 3 Multitasker instead.

Thanks for the reply!  Ill probably give it a shot.  I like that it has a file (not sure why they couldnt put one on the standard version) and I think the hook would actually be of some use to me.  As for the Multitasker, I have no use for shooting oriented tools.  Id be more interested if they made a more general purpose MT.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:30:17 AM
I hate to break this to you but the Gerber MRO is a shooting oriented tool.

check out my episode 41 entry in this thread (page 3)...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65364.0.html

This is why I mentioned the Multitasker. Both are tools to help maintain an AR type rifles. Like you said however, there are many other uses for the special tools found in these that make them useful to folks that do not have or need weapon specific maintenance tools.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking about the MP1 AR tool...The MRO is a different tool...and one I do not have. However, it looks like the MP1 AR tool..so my original comment stands in regards to the feel of the handles. Looks like I will now need an MRO for the collection lol.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:40:35 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:10:01 AM
I hate to break this to you but the Gerber MRO is a shooting oriented tool.

check out my episode 41 entry in this thread (page 3)...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65364.0.html

This is why I mentioned the Multitasker. Both are tools to help maintain an AR type rifles. Like you said however, there are many other uses for the special tools found in these that make them useful to folks that do not have or need weapon specific maintenance tools.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking about the MP1 AR tool...The MRO is a different tool...and one I do not have. However, it looks like the MP1 AR tool..so my original comment stands in regards to the feel of the handles. Looks like I will now need an MRO for the collection lol.

Lol no problem.  I believe the MRO and AR both have the FRN handles so your info is still solid!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:13:02 AM
Had a chance to handle MRO as I was interested in it, MP1 is my favorite MT.

It felt cheaper and the blade was dull so I passed.
It definetly lacks the grip, but I dont find grip that important as I have never had tool slip from my hands anyway. Grip is overrated.  :)  Id say go for it if the toolset is important for you.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:55:50 PM
It definetly lacks the grip, but I dont find grip that important as I have never had tool slip from my hands anyway. Grip is overrated.  :)  Id say go for it if the toolset is important for you.
I'm of this opinion as well. Shape, and how the tool fits the hand is gennerally more important than how "grippy" the material is (although some plain stainless steel knives could do with a bit more texture).

And personally, I don't have a problem with FRN. Spyderco's FRN knives feel quite nice in hand, and G10 can be too grippy on knives, shredding pockets and the like (not to mention the price premium on G10 is too high IMO). The reality is that FRN and G10 are both plastics with a high fiberglass content.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 05:28:33 AM
Yeah the wierd thing in this case is that the FRN costs about fifty percent more than the G10!  :think:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 02:18:13 AM
Hey guys, I have been looking at pictures of the MP1, the MP1 MRO, and the MP1 AR.  They seem like the kind of tool I would like to get.  This old thread came up when I searched for MP1 so I figured it was better to just ask here rather than start a new one.

I am trying to find out how the plier head compares to other MTs.  I know they say that they are forged so that might make a difference but I am mostly trying to find out how they compare in size and thickness to other tools like the wave, rebar, centerdrive, etc.  I saw a youtube video comparing it to a wave and a vic spirit, but they never held the pliers up to show a decent comparison.  I found an article comparing them to the MUT and some other AR centric plier based tool and they even had a nice picture showing a comparison that made the MP1 pliers look tiny and week.  BUT almost anything would look tiny and week next to the pliers on the MUT.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures that show a clear comparison to any of those other tools I mentioned. 

Also how have the pliers been for you???   :D

fi Offline Padre

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:17:09 AM
Basic MP1 has the best Gerber pliers ever. For me that is. The off centered cutters are really handy for cutting zip ties clean. There should be more of those around.

I'd say that many Leatherman pliers feel a bit more robust still  but it depends from your line of use. And my MP1 has taken abuse, where my Waves and Charges have failed.

The plier size is close to SOG PowerPlay and Wave too.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:31 PM
Basic MP1 has the best Gerber pliers ever. For me that is. The off centered cutters are really handy for cutting zip ties clean. There should be more of those around.

I'd say that many Leatherman pliers feel a bit more robust still  but it depends from your line of use. And my MP1 has taken abuse, where my Waves and Charges have failed.

The plier size is close to SOG PowerPlay and Wave too.

Ok, cool thanks.

The picture I saw comparing them to a Mut made me think they were around the same size as a wave.  (but I couldn't tell) 
I can see how the off-center cutters would be good.  One of my favorite tools that I keep in my car tool bag is a hefty pair of diagonal cutting pliers.  I'm sure it's not that different from the MP1. 

I have never held one before but based on the pictures, I am inclined to agree with you, I think the MP1 might be my favorite Gerber multi tool.  I would like to get one but now I'm stuck with the same problem as the OP. 
I like the tools better on the MRO, I think that hook and file would both be great tools that I would use more than the slotted drivers.  BUUUUUT... I also LOVE G10!  so I kind of want the original MP1. 

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 04:38:30 AM
I STILL haven't gotten either one yet! Lol.  If you beat me to it please post up your thoughts and some good pics.

Offline Ravenroost

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 12:46:35 AM
Not to hijack, but have the MP1's been discontinued?

Gerber has them listed as out of stock. I really like the toolset the MRO has, and I can still find them on Amazon, but if they are discontinued I'd rather pull the trigger sooner than later.

Thanks

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:20:33 AM
 I think Gerber tends to do "runs of things" and for a while they will be out of stock and then back in stock.  I know there's a particular MP 600 variant I buy and sometimes it's available on the website but not available on Amazon and other times it's the opposite.  Unless it's actually discontinued which is a possibility but I think they would say "discontinued" on the site. Email them?

Or buy it just to "safe"!  :whistle:

Offline Ravenroost

Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 07:40:47 PM
A couple websites said it was. I think Knife center and one other one I was looking to buy from.

So I think I am going to buy 2 mp1's I found cheap on eBay (unused) And a mro from amazon.

Just in case!

Another question, can the tools or scales be exchanged between a MP1 and an MRO?

This thread has me worried the MRO scales may not have the grip I want.

Thanks

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD