Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pen

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Fisher Space Pen
on: December 02, 2016, 10:27:14 AM
I carry a vic signature light on keychain, but dont like how it or the manager have no toothpick, I can swap it for a regular classic and try space pen, just wondering if its noticeable/annoying to carry in pocket.

specs say 3.8", im guessing thats while its closed? not sure, I think I had one when I was a kid, but that was like 35 years ago, does it fit well in small pocket of jeans?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:35:39 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Re: Fisher Space Pen
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:59:12 AM
 :oops:
I carry a vic signature light on keychain, but dont like how it or the manager have no toothpick, I can swap it for a regular classic and try space pen, just wondering if its noticeable/annoying to carry in pocket.

specs say 3.8", im guessing thats while its closed? not sure, I think I had one when I was a kid, but that was like 35 years ago, does it fit well in small pocket of jeans?

I can't tell you the size, but it is small for sure, here it is compared to my other EDC pens (CRKT James Williams, and S&W pen of which I lost the cap)
closed.jpg
* closed.jpg (Filesize: 226.83 KB)
copened.jpg
* copened.jpg (Filesize: 216.87 KB)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:03:20 AM by m47mu74nt »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33:42 AM
hmmm, was looking at base model with no clip, had in amazon cart forever, but it went down in price today

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:10:17 PM
hmmm, was looking at base model with no clip, had in amazon cart forever, but it went down in price today
They are the exact same size AFAIK
The bullet pen can be purchased with or without clip, and the clip can also be purchased separately  :-)

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:39:32 PM
You won't even know your're carrying it, I sure don't.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:58:12 PM
I have 2, one with clip and another without.  They fit well in the 5th pocket of my Levi's.  I dropped one in my pocket with my wallet and totally forgot it was there till I got home  :facepalm:.  Clip or no clip really depends on how you see yourself carrying them. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:43:19 AM
I pulled the trigger last night, got the matte black bullet no clip version for $13ish with tax, been wanting one ever since I had one years ago I got from back of omni magazine, if anyone remembers this magazine you are old af like me lol

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:48 PM
I guess I'm old then, although I don't remember the pen offer.  Mind you, it's possible it wasn't available in Canada.

I love the Fisher Bullet.  I have a lot of pens lying around, but that is the one I keep going back to.  It was the only pen that really did all I wanted from a pen in my old job, where I was writing notes outside in all manner of weather.  And I mean all of it.... rain, snow, sleet etc, and all of it on Rite in the Rain notebooks.  I don't think you can get a better pen for fieldwork especially.  It might not be the perfect pen to keep at your desk just to sign your name occasionally, or the best for hand writing your manuscript, but when it comes to taking notes in adverse conditions, I have tried them all and none come close.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:12 AM
I guess I'm old then, although I don't remember the pen offer.  Mind you, it's possible it wasn't available in Canada.

I love the Fisher Bullet.  I have a lot of pens lying around, but that is the one I keep going back to.  It was the only pen that really did all I wanted from a pen in my old job, where I was writing notes outside in all manner of weather.  And I mean all of it.... rain, snow, sleet etc, and all of it on Rite in the Rain notebooks.  I don't think you can get a better pen for fieldwork especially.  It might not be the perfect pen to keep at your desk just to sign your name occasionally, or the best for hand writing your manuscript, but when it comes to taking notes in adverse conditions, I have tried them all and none come close.

Def

I might be misremembering if it was an ad or an article in omni magazine, used to love that mag, very sci-fi/tech oriented.
Just got the black matte bullet pen in mail today, really like the form, fits nicely in jeans 5th pocket, but I may get the clip for added security. I even like the little plastic case it came in, might fit a SAK nicely.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 07:58:11 AM
Talking about Bullet Pen, here is how I'll carry mine -since.... yesterday- :

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:30:14 PM
Nice leather work!

For years I carried my Bullet open in the pen slot of my work vest.  I marked up the vest a lot but it made it a lot easier to pull it out and use for quick notes, especially when wearing gloves.  That pen has been through so much weather over the years in the open position that the cap no longer comes off the body to close it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 03:18:10 AM
Nice leather work!

For years I carried my Bullet open in the pen slot of my work vest.  I marked up the vest a lot but it made it a lot easier to pull it out and use for quick notes, especially when wearing gloves.  That pen has been through so much weather over the years in the open position that the cap no longer comes off the body to close it!

Def

I might need to buy that clip accesssory, but it fits in jeans 5th pocket decently.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 04:08:10 AM
I bought the chrome one couple years ago and love it :cheers: I loved it in fact so much that earlier this year I went and bought the black version as well and now I carry the chrome exclusively for work in my altoids tin and the black one gets carried otherwise but just in my pocket :like: :like: :like:

Never knew how much I would love this pen until I got one and used it though :tu: I always read about several of the members hear raving about them and finally decided to pull the trigger on one :D I haven't looked back since :tu:

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 05:24:02 AM
I used to have a couple of the Chrome bullet pens but they always seem to disappear, some  after a few years and some far faster than that.
Eventually I found what they call the telescoping astronaut pen and I personally think it's vastly superior. Instead of removing a half and posting it you just pull the end of the pen and it extends the tip. I find it a lot easier to keep in my pants and open it when it's ready to use. It also tends to get shinier with use and rolling around in my pocket instead of getting scratched looking since it's aluminum.
I guess the downside is it isn't quite as pretty. Your mileage may vary but I think it's another worthy option to consider.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 08:50:35 AM
I think i've seen that one somewhere, and have also tought about nite zie inka pen. my dream keychain pen would just be the vic manager or signature pen out of the knife with some attachment that gripped it near the top and you could add a split ring and swivel lobster claw clasp. I know its not the most comfortable to use, but would be negligble on your key chain and only for small writing tasks. do you mean this one?:

damnit, now I want that also, this hobby is brutal  :twak:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:52:45 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 06:59:33 PM
The Fisher telescoping pen (center) rides in my shirt pocket and is used several times each week.  I use the 0 Gravity pen at home every day.  The raw brass Bullet pen is my backup and has only been used once to test it.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 08:05:18 PM
The Fisher telescoping pen (center) rides in my shirt pocket and is used several times each week.  I use the 0 Gravity pen at home every day.  The raw brass Bullet pen is my backup and has only been used once to test it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yep, that's it!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 01:47:06 AM
Someone's video showing what happens when a Fisher Space Pen ink refill is broken open (on purpose) -- a mess.   :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVR7pVIVMw

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 02:28:38 AM
That is a pretty cool video :D :like: :like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 09:06:39 AM
 :o

:like:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 09:08:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I

H
A
T
E

Y
O
U
 :twak:

Now I want a Fisher Telescoping pen,  any reason not to buy it?  :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 10:11:45 AM
man, how bored that guy must have been to break open that ink cartridge. looking at this and saying why? u get the same results squeezing a caulk gun or even a tube of toothpaste.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 04:45:23 PM
man, how bored that guy must have been to break open that ink cartridge. looking at this and saying why? ...

Stay curious, my friend.   ;)

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 04:48:41 PM

I have smaller, Zebra brand telescoping pens which work well.  But, the Fisher Telescoping Pen is better at writing under more adverse conditions (e.g., cold, wet) and in different positions.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 05:12:11 PM

I have smaller, Zebra brand telescoping pens which work well.  But, the Fisher Telescoping Pen is better at writing under more adverse conditions (e.g., cold, wet) and in different positions.

That's not reasons NOT to buy it  :facepalm:
ok, ok, I gonna get one  :angel:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 05:08:14 AM
The lack of a pocket clip on the Fisher Telescoping Pen may pose a problem for some.  It rides horizontally at the bottom of my shirt pocket because it has no clip.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 07:20:58 AM

Def

yeah, your profile says you are 100 years old  :rofl:

us Offline docfossil

Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 11:17:48 PM
I have three Fisher Space Pens. One for daily use, one in my car, and the third in my carry on bag for when I travel.

Some folks don't like the idea that you have to remove the cap and post it. I find this, as well as the pen's compact size, some of the things that make this pen charming to own and use.

They are well made and with a little care will last "forever." Every one I ever owned is still working. The original one is about 30 years old.

The Fisher Space Pen Company does a nice job of engraving the pens and I find that they make nice gifts ( I have no affiliation with the company).
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 12:38:52 AM
Anyone have a trekker?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:21 AM
The lack of a pocket clip on the Fisher Telescoping Pen may pose a problem for some.  It rides horizontally at the bottom of my shirt pocket because it has no clip.

That shouldn't be an issue for me as I will carry it in a SAK+Pen leather pouch as I currently do with the Bullet pen and my SI :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%