Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pebble going under, Fitbit buys Pebble OS

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Pebble going under, Fitbit buys Pebble OS
on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:13 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/pebble-said-to-discuss-selling-software-assets-to-fitbit

So Pebble is done and Fitbit has purchased their software and taken on some of their software developers.  I guess my next smarsmurfch will be a Fitbit then?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Pebble going under, Fitbit buys Pebble OS
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:11 AM
I guess no one else cares....  :whistle:

You all must have much better taste in watches than I do!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:51:30 AM
or they missed it, and only saw it due to your second post,  like I did.

I was interested in a Pebble, but I guess I will not get one now, since support is dried up
If I can help, let me know 

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:41:56 AM
I guess I'm in a bit of odd postion in that I love both technology and watches.

However I've yet to see a compeling case for a smart watch, the sceens are too small and the battery life is limited. Yes I know that the Pebble battery lasts longer than the Apple watch.

I tried an Apple watch and I must admit I liked the navigation feedback when using GPS but that feature is not enough to justify me spending money on one. Now here's where people will say 'Smashie, you have expensive watches and you can't justify the cost of a smart watch?'. No I can't I'm 46 years old and I'm on my second Rolex, the last one I had for 22 years, tell me a smart watch I buy now will last that long.

Unfortunately I think the smart watch, for most people, is a soloution in search of a problem.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:42:30 PM
I had a hard time wrapping my head around that very thought as well Smashie.  You are absolutely correct- the best smart watch pales in comparison to even a budget watch.

That having been said, when my Pebble died and I wasn't wearing it for a while, I looked at my wrist every time my phone beeped, and realised that none of my G Shocks, none of my Swiss Army watches, nor my beloved Seiko Orange Monster was able to show me who was texting or emailing me, what they were saying, how many steps I'd taken and so on.  I really notice the difference while driving- I have a full Bluetooth system in the Jeep that reads texts to me, but I really do find that glancing at my watch is a lot easier for text messages than going through the stereo.  And, with the voice to text feature of the watch (vs the preset messages only in the Jeep) it is a lot easier to respond to messages.

I am not convinced on the Apple watch though- frankly I think it was an overpriced hunk of crap and I'd have never bought one of those.  The original Pebble and the Pebble Time I got to replace the original I think are great, and with the prices being $100 for the original and $150 for the Time, I think they are well worth the cost.  I don't think they are worth the $1000+ the Apple watch is going for though, and I am not just suggesting that because I am not a fan of Apple.

My parents are serious gadget people, and between the two of them they have had two different Pebbles (same ones I have had), the iWatch and two different Samsung Gear watches and they say the Pebbles were the best of all of them, even discounting the major cost differences.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:26:33 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/pebble-said-to-discuss-selling-software-assets-to-fitbit

So Pebble is done and Fitbit has purchased their software and taken on some of their software developers.  I guess my next smarsmurfch will be a Fitbit then?

Def

what word was that supposed to be? I can't work it out

nvm, I just got it... smart watch

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:59:40 PM
The smurf sensor strikes again!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:00:21 AM
If Ssmurfhorpe is anywhere near the ocean, make sure you don't wear your smarsmurfch in the salsmurfer.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:35:40 PM
If Ssmurfhorpe is anywhere near the ocean, make sure you don't wear your smarsmurfch in the salsmurfer.

Def

Ssmurfhorpe is 30 miles from the ocean. I don't have a smarsmurfch so salsmurfer isn't a problem for me, my gshock will be fine in salsmurfer where smarsmurfches fear to tread  :D

Of course if it gets salsmurfer in I'll be sure to scrub the smurf smurfing well to get rid of all traces of salsmurfer
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:37:32 PM by Kevin Davey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 05:53:42 PM
What's really funny is when you watch the Smurfs and notice that they replace every other word with "Smurf" so you start to think they are serious potty mouths.

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 06:37:55 PM
I thought about getting a Pebble since they are cool, small computers with well defined I/O possibilities. It is the closest you get to the fun, understandable systems of the 1980s and 1990s without an emulator. Ah, well. The past is past.

(I work as a programmer, and large, complex systems are no fun at all.)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 06:55:50 PM
I have to admit that Im having trouble wearing other watches than my Garmin Fenix 3 now.
I try, but quickly change back. It feels like a step backwards to not wear a watch that doesent count my steps, has a built in compass, gps, a bunch of different watch faces, shows incoming calls and messages (when I want to) and keeps perfect time.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:14 PM
I have to admit that Im having trouble wearing other watches than my Garmin Fenix 3 now.
I try, but quickly change back. It feels like a step backwards to not wear a watch that doesent count my steps, has a built in compass, gps, a bunch of different watch faces, shows incoming calls and messages (when I want to) and keeps perfect time.

I have the same issue.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%