Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no 91mm Alox?

us Offline lazar

Why no 91mm Alox?
on: May 08, 2024, 09:14:09 PM
Just wondering why Victorinox doesn't have any 91mm models with Alox scales.  Seems like it can be done, they just choose not to?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Why no 91mm Alox?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:49:42 PM
I suspect Vic doesn’t want to compete with themselves any more than they already do. 

And, to make 91mm alox like 93mm alox would require some retooling and different parts, which would be an expense for probably very little return.

Finally, one can always get aftermarket 91mm metal scales, if that is where one’s heart lies.  Here’s a quick shot of my Huntsman with Ti scales…

* IMG_2361.jpg (Filesize: 69.72 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 04:19:06 AM
I suspect Vic doesn’t want to compete with themselves any more than they already do. 
:iagree:
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:03:48 PM

I don't  :iagree:

Surely they will just be offering more options ..... so are more likely to attract more/other customers

And as an example:
- Say I want to buy a single SAK from today's range - I will get the one I  decide on depending on tool and scale preferences/needs
- If I have Alox scales available on the 91mm models tomorrow - I am still going to buy the one SAK I decide on depending on tool and scale preferences/needs -

Not sure how having greater choice from my supplier reduces my purchases?   ???    :think:

Of course manufacturing costs could/will increase - So that may be a factor
Part of me thinks it's just Vic's tradition ie "Officer's Knives vill alvays hav ze red scales"     :pok:    :climber:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 04:05:18 PM
Not sure how having greater choice from my supplier reduces my purchases?

Of course manufacturing costs could/will increase - So that may be a factor

It wouldn’t reduce your purchases.

It would require additional investment in tools, equipment, and material inventory by Vic.  So the question becomes, would the change generate enough additional sales (or more specifically, profit) to justify the investment?  I would suggest that it probably wouldn’t.

Outside of us SAK addicts/collectors, some people who just want a user might buy a 91mm alox (if available) instead of a 91mm cellidor or 93mm alox, but aren’t likely to buy more SAKs total than they would have otherwise just because a 91mm alox line is available.  This is what I meant by “competing with themselves”.

Offline Black sunshine

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 04:07:43 PM
Just wondering why Victorinox doesn't have any 91mm models with Alox scales.  Seems like it can be done, they just choose not to?

The question is actually “why did they stop?” I have some OEM 84mm alox knives with back tools (not cadets or bantams). There were some made in 91mm that were included with a fighter jet pilots survival kit (KLU?)

Seems like it would be easy to merge 93mm and 91mm into just 91mm.

us Offline Enginears

Reply #6 on: Today at 02:57:39 AM

I always thought it was to kind of preserve the lineage somewhat.

The 91 evolving from the officers knife that had the wood/fiber scales. Cellidor is kind of a continuation of that, and the basic spartan is base the toolset.

The 93 evolving from the soldier with Alox and the pioneer as the base toolset.

There have always been exceptions, and of course you have all the other sizes which have both alox and cellidor. But the two main lines are kept intact.

us Offline lazar

Reply #7 on: Today at 03:04:16 AM
I always thought it was to kind of preserve the lineage somewhat.

The 91 evolving from the officers knife that had the wood/fiber scales. Cellidor is kind of a continuation of that, and the basic spartan is base the toolset.

The 93 evolving from the soldier with Alox and the pioneer as the base toolset.

There have always been exceptions, and of course you have all the other sizes which have both alox and cellidor. But the two main lines are kept intact.

I'm not very well versed in the history, so that actually makes some sense.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%