Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Discussion About the Leatherman Skeletool

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
on: December 05, 2016, 06:43:16 AM
I have never owned a Skeletool. I have never even handled one, but I would like to post my thoughts on them and see what the general opinion is on them all in one thread. I assume that I have probably doomed myself into buying one now that I have opened this can of worms, but I feel like it could be a good discussion. Again, I DO NOT own a skeletool, so this is not truly an informed review or anything of that nature. I have just been thinking about getting one and I thought some may enjoy reading and commenting on/creating a discussion out of my thoughts on the tool.  :cheers: My apologies in advance for my lack of editing grammar before posting! :rofl:

Topic #1: Weight
It seems to me that a couple oz. for a whole lot of tools is not a huge price to pay. The Skeletool is 3.5 oz less than the wave, and the tool difference is a whopping 10! When the Skeletool is compared to the Signal, there is a weight difference of 2.5 oz. and theoretically a tool difference of 12, although there is a debate about the true usefulness of some of the Signal's attachments. Now, I know that for the minimalist, a couple of oz. can mean everything between whether you would carry a tool or not, but is it really weight that determines that, or carry-ability??

Topic #2: Carry-ability
For me, the Signal is a whole heck of a lot easier to pocket carry than the Wave. I know that you can put a pocket clip on a wave (I have one on mine) but the signal just fits. The lock that keeps the handles from flipping open should also be on all Leathermans in my opinion. It is genius! It even lets you carry it clipped outside of your pocket or waistband with no problem!. When I pocket carry the Wave, it is just awkward and opens up in my pocket. The clip normally is used to clip it to the pocket in a bag. I can only assume that the Skeletool wins out in this category because it seems that the slimmer the tool is, the better, but it does lack that lock that the signal has, so who knows? And what you sacrifice for ease of carry could hurt you if you are surprised by  some job that needs to be done.

Topic #3: The Trade-off
What you gain in ease of carry you could lose in functionality. Just an example of this is the difference in number of tools mentioned earlier, or the lack of separate blades for separate purposes, or the fact that the bit driver on the Wave is a whole lot easier to use on the Wave than it is on the signal, and I presume the Skeletool. I think this section is very personal and dependent upon each persons every day needs. The big question for me is: "Is the difference is weight/carry-ability really worth it even though I do not use the tools that are not included on the skeletool too often? What happens when I am hit by that surprise job where I will need my Wave, Charge, Signal, etc when all I have is a Skeletool?" I get hit with those fairly frequently.

My Conclusion:
Currently, If I was to carry a Skeletool, I would (most likely) have a back up close by, whether it is in the truck, bedroom, desk, bag, etc. I already keep a heavy duty MT in a backup spot pretty religiously, so it would really not be a problem. For example, if I am only carrying a SAK for my multitool of the day, you can rest assured that there is some plier based multitool somewhere nearby whether it is in the truck, office, bag, etc.. When I look at it that way, carrying a Skeletool is similar to carrying a SAK with me. Minus the scissors. I could go on and on, but I will end up throwing myself into a downward spiral of over comparison. I hope that this was an enjoyable read for everyone! Please let me know what your opinion is on this topic! Like I said, I don't own a Skeletool, nor have I ever handled one. These are just my thoughts in hopes of starting a discussion.
 :cheers: :salute:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:45:18 AM by gdoolittle »

Offline jday2727

Re: A Discussion About the Leatherman Skeletool
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:51:48 AM
I think you are over thinking it. Just get one and give it a try. The best way to see if a tool is worth carrying is to carry it. Personally the skeletool is my least carried mt. However in some situations it is perfect and is one of my most used mts.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:01:46 AM
I think you are over thinking it. Just get one and give it a try. The best way to see if a tool is worth carrying is to carry it. Personally the skeletool is my least carried mt. However in some situations it is perfect and is one of my most used mts.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that I'm over thinking it, I just was thinking that I, and others may benefit from/enjoy a discussion about the pro's and con's of it. I'm bound to get one eventually whatever the opinion is on it, but it was nice to write my thoughts out. In other words, I am deliberately over-thinking it. :rofl: Thanks for the response!  :cheers:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:33 AM
There are a few things I do not really care for about the skeletool. But I think it has the bare bones essentials that would be surprising sufficient in most conditions; pliers, cutters, blade and the Phillips/flat drivers...  :-\
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:30:59 AM
If you are coming from knife mostly carry then the Skeletool certainly is a lot more tool.  If you already carried a knife and SAK then the Skeletool is a good carry option instead of the knife while still carrying the SAK.

If you are thinking of carrying the Skeletool over a more feature rich MT then, you'll need to decide the right time to carry it.  The other option is having a feature rich SAK as well. 

Get one and carry it when you know you have a slow day.  Maybe start by carrying it at home where you have access to other tools.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:57:02 AM
It does feel lighter, despite the numbers, and more importantly, it's slimmer.  I can forget I have it on me.  But I think you nailed it by calling it personal.  I don't run into many surprise situations where I need a saw or serrated blade.  Combined with a scissor-equipped SAK, this handles my most common daily tasks, and I can leave the bigger tools in the car or in a backpack. 

But that wouldn't work for everyone.  I would say it's still worth a try for you though, maybe keeping your backups nearby as a safety net.  If you hate it, it shouldn't be too hard to sell on here. :tu:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:08:41 AM
When I carry my Skeletool or Skeletool CX, I am basically carrying a knife that happens to have a few tools.  If I think I will really need to work on anything, the Skeletool stays in the drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:24 AM
I think it depends on how you use and need the tools. The skeletool is perfect to me with a 58mm SAK for scissors and small blades.

I am an urban guy living in a city apartment and working in office. I  don't  drive  and  I  don't  have  a  backyard/garden.  I barely need a saw and use a file on the go or at work.  I will need then but usually when I am at home. My most used tools are knife and pliers while the skeletool could fit that purpose well with a cap lifter and a bit holder added.

Mine is a skeletool cx,  it has a nice and study blade but not too aggressive (long)  which scares people when you pull it out.  (The knife is short,  but thick) It serve an ordinary day well.  It's true that it lacks can opener,  file,  saw... etc but when you don't need them, they are extra weight instead of versatility. 

The bit driver on skeletool is easy to use.  All you need to do is to spread the legs.  You don't even need to pull it out.

If I am going for camping or travel, I probably won't simply bring the skeley but for an ordinary day of mine, it serves. If you may need those tools it lacks regularly,  it maybe not be the one for you.

I owned it for a few weeks only and still in honey moon with it. My opinion may not be objective...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:46:07 AM by aurabattler »

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:00:11 AM
Just PM me your address.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
I am the biggest Skeletool fan around here.

Tool set.
The Skeletool has the tools people normally would use, nothing more.
Sure, I EDC A Spirit or a Wave, but as a normal guy I never use the file nor saw nor serrated blade, sometime I use the scissors because I choose to, not have to.

Tool count=7, but that didn't include the four size/type driver Skeletool is equipped by default.

Feel, the Skeletool just feel good in hand, especially in knife mode comparing to other blocky MT.

Look, it just look so cool. 

Tip, team Skeletool up with a Micra then you are good to go.

Fact, Skeletool is the most popular carried MT along Leatherman employees.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:13:00 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 09:24:29 AM
Just PM me your address.
I responded to your PM. Thank you so much again!!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 09:28:06 AM
I am the biggest Skeletool fan around here.

Tool set.
The Skeletool has the tools people normally would use, nothing more.
Sure, I EDC A Spirit or a Wave, but as a normal guy I never use the file nor saw nor serrated blade, sometime I use the scissors because I choose to, not have to.

Tool count=7, but that didn't include the four size/type driver Skeletool is equipped by default.

Feel, the Skeletool just feel good in hand, especially in knife mode comparing to other blocky MT.

Look, it just look so cool. 

Tip, team Skeletool up with a Micra then you are good to go.

Fact, Skeletool is the most popular carried MT along Leatherman employees.
I didnt know that fact about the Leatherman employees! Thats pretty interesting! Thanks for your thoughts as well and good idea about the Micra!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:33:24 AM
Skeletool is not a survivalist nor tradesman's pocket toolbox, it is a white collar's multitool.  ;)

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:39 AM
Skeletool is not a survivalist nor tradesman's pocket toolbox, it is a white collar's multitool.  ;)
There is definitely some truth to that! I work in an office so it makes a lot of sense to carry one there instead of a bigger tool

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 09:47:29 AM
Yeah.  That's very true and fit all the need for an ordinary day in an office.

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 01:10:10 PM
Skeletool with a Micra and a bit card will do most anything you need to do. 

When I carry my Skeletool, the Skele goes inside my front right pocket, Micra goes in my watch pocket, and two bit cards go in my front left pocket. 

I always carry the Micra, and I carry the bit cards anytime I carry a tool with the bit holder.
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 01:53:10 PM
Another SKeletool fan here :cheers: I have had one for almost 8 years now :o It doesn't fit with what I carry for work EDC but the Skeley is an awesome weekend or night carry for me :tu: Just yesterday (Skeletool Sunday :) ) I used it to take a battery door off a toy my little girl had that she wanted batteries in :cheers: She came straight to me and said "daddy use your LM and put some batteries in this for me " :D It has a great knife, in fact it is my favorite knife among all the LM I have :dd: Mind you I have a PE blade in mine and have no idea about the combo blade in them now though :salute: Great tool though and if I had a different job I might consider carrying it :like:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:54:47 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 05:09:23 PM
I was disappointed with mine.  Had to get one while at special at Home Depot. 
What I found it is the same plier head as my Freestyle, slightly long combo blade with screw driver bit(s)
With a bottle opener.

I tried carrying for 3 days but just not grow any love.

Maybe a weekend carry? I just have to work at it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:25 PM
There are many multitools for many needs.

The skeletool is an outstanding tool.

I require more functions so I carry a wave or charge or mp600 :)
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 07:44:46 PM
The Skeletool is lightweight, and offers a decent amount of function for it's size and weight. The duty level of the pliers is conducive to it's size, and the knife is well proportioned to the size of the tool.

I hate it.

My dislike is purely ergonomic, and that can only be appreciated (positively or negatively) once you start to use one. The pliers handles, the driver only usable when extended, and the carabiner on the handle, all mean that FOR ME the tool is horrible to use. It may be a "white collar" tool in some parts of the world, but certainly not in others. However, I would not want the Skeletool to be part of my tool array no matter what environment I was working in.

The Skele is a very polarising tool, and it will either feel comfortable, or it won't. Simple as that. For some it's perfect, but I personally dislike using ever single function that it offers, and IN USE (putting aside the theoretically positive aspects I started this post with) I find the tool to have no endearing qualities whatsoever.

I recommend everyone to try before you buy with this tool  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 07:44:59 PM
I suggest you look at what we done with our Skeletools.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55539.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 07:54:14 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool pic and thanks for the link :tu: I will give that thread a good read sometime :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 10:15:13 PM

Cool pic and thanks for the link :tu: I will give that thread a good read sometime :cheers:
As will I! Very cool pic

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 10:17:32 PM
I am really enjoying reading everyones thoughts on the tool and am super excited to try it out for myself thanks entirely to Kampfer's generosity!

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 02:30:19 AM
All you need to do is to spread the legs.  You don't even need to pull it out.

I think that should be in all of the Skeletool  advertisements.
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 03:06:42 AM
I just bought mine at Home Depot as a Black Friday special.  I wouldn't have one if it weren't for the sale price ($29.88) so if you're getting one, now is the time.  You need to think of it not so much as a multitool, but as an every day carry, one hand opening, pocket knife that just happens to also have light duty pliers and some screw driver bits attached to it.  If you're more likely to need a pocket knife and may only need the pliers on rare occasions then it is a good option.

I have a friend who is a school teacher so he's not supposed to have a knife on him at all when he's on campus.  He carries the skeletool because it is discreet, and if anyone sees it he says its folding pliers that he keeps for fixing his motorcycle and they accept that because he rides a motorcycle every day.  Because he does ride everyday, and has occasionally needed to use the pliers to fix something that would have otherwise left him stranded on the side of the road, he says having pliers is important to him. Otherwise he could carry a Kershaw or a Cold Steel folder like all the other teachers I know who carry knives that they're not supposed to. :whistle:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 06:07:44 PM
Let's see if gdoolittle will like it.
skeletool_Page_1.jpg
* skeletool_Page_1.jpg (Filesize: 85.51 KB)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:44:26 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 03:46:15 PM
That is awesome Kampfer  :tu: Very generous of you indeed :like:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 04:09:06 PM
:hatsoff:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
It sure was generous of him.. again I cant thank you enough Kampfer! :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!