Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Discussion About the Leatherman Skeletool

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Re: A Discussion About the Leatherman Skeletool
Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 12:08:39 AM
Yes it's a more urban or white collar tool. With that said I wish it had a can opener and a corkscrew which I think are urban tools. In terms of pairing I've had no luck as I'm trying to avoid tool duplication. Best I could do is pair it with a Pocket Wrench, Shard, and a p38. No corkscrew but I'm confident I can mod my way through opening a wine bottle. Not too happy with the clip either. Slips out too easily

I bought a Leatherman Minitool to replace my Skeletool. Smaller and cooler in a vintage way. Guess what? Skeletool is what I grab on a daily basis. Why? Form Follows Function.  :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 12:20:35 AM
Yes it's a more urban or white collar tool. With that said I wish it had a can opener and a corkscrew which I think are urban tools. In terms of pairing I've had no luck as I'm trying to avoid tool duplication. Best I could do is pair it with a Pocket Wrench, Shard, and a p38. No corkscrew but I'm confident I can mod my way through opening a wine bottle. Not too happy with the clip either. Slips out too easily

I bought a Leatherman Minitool to replace my Skeletool. Smaller and cooler in a vintage way. Guess what? Skeletool is what I grab on a daily basis. Why? Form Follows Function.  :like:

I put a suspension clip/pocket dangler on my  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh and it made it loads easier to carry and retrieve when pocket carrying :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 12:28:48 AM

Three words....

True Utility Twistick  :pok:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:20 AM

I put a suspension clip/pocket dangler on my  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh and it made it loads easier to carry and retrieve when pocket carrying :tu:

Just curious, I tried putting a split ring on the Mini and it interfered with the opening and closing. Did you have the same problem?

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:45 AM

Three words....

True Utility Twistick  :pok:

Ok you suck ;) I'm checking it out right now. Looks really cool but the reviews on Amazon seem to be mixed. I'm thinking.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 02:35:27 AM
I had the same kind of reservations about the Skeletool for years. Then I found one on sale for $30 last year.

It is my dress knife these days as it gives me my knife and pliers and the screwdriver in a lighter package than almost anything else I can find commercially. The smaller set of bits, that comes with the 1/4" bit adaptor, takes up about as much space as 4-5 quarters in my pocket after modifiying it to remove the 1/4" bit driver's mounting point. It might not be the prettiest gentleman's knife, but it is the most capable for the price.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 03:09:01 AM

Just curious, I tried putting a split ring on the Mini and it interfered with the opening and closing. Did you have the same problem?

You just have to watch what you are doing when opening and closing but with some patience it gets easier to use :cheers: The ease of carry is worth the few extra seconds it takes to open to me :tu: This isn't for work usually though as it is a weekend or night time carry :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 03:10:23 AM
I had the same kind of reservations about the Skeletool for years. Then I found one on sale for $30 last year.

It is my dress knife these days as it gives me my knife and pliers and the screwdriver in a lighter package than almost anything else I can find commercially. The smaller set of bits, that comes with the 1/4" bit adaptor, takes up about as much space as 4-5 quarters in my pocket after modifiying it to remove the 1/4" bit driver's mounting point. It might not be the prettiest gentleman's knife, but it is the most capable for the price.

Good idea about cutting the bit card down :o I may try this with one of the regular ones and see how it goes :think: :tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 04:31:07 AM
The Skele looks good on paper but the handles are uncomfortable when using the pliers and also the screwdriver is awkward. The blade is awesome though.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 06:33:05 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 08:09:23 PM
That is awesome Kampfer  :tu: Very generous of you indeed :like:

Not only that, he forgot to mention he also got one for me.
Can't praise this gentleman enough, it's been like this every time I've dealt with him

The world should be full of Kampfs, he is something you rarely see today on the street, or the Internet
Hats off to him   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 08:58:12 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I couldn't agree more with this diagram. Simultaneously underprepared and overprepared. Everything you don't want, and nothing you do want (or at least not how you want it to be)

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 09:29:19 PM
That diagram sums it up. It gets you there.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 09:55:12 PM
That diagram sums it up. It gets you there.
It gets the tool there.... hurled over the fence in frustration  :D

In all seriousness :hatsoff: to Kam for his generosity again. I'll never be convinced that the Skele is anything other than a horrible design and a thoroughly unpleasant tool to try and use, but I'm also convinced Kam is a real credit to this community and it's wonderful having him here  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:43 PM

Most of the time I am sure I would be prepared enough with the Skeletool :cheers: It is those "other" times that I carry MTs that have more on them for work though :tu:

Just wished they hadn't changed to a combo blade in the Skeley but other than that it is a great tool :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 11:06:14 PM
That was something I created at the end of Skeletool challenge to sum up teh Skeletool series.
Here is the original one from Leatherman.
leatherman2.jpg
* leatherman2.jpg (Filesize: 159.48 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 11:09:13 PM
Another one from me, Skeletooling for Dummies

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 03:01:32 AM
Look what came in today!!!! Again I cant thank you enough Kampfer! What a great member here at MTO. I cant wait to give it some pocket time! I never thought that I would meet people on the internet who are this generous. Thank you again Kampfer!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 03:31:16 AM
I am glad it finally arrived.
Start using it and report back.  :multi:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 11, 2016, 03:34:36 AM
Will do!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: December 11, 2016, 04:16:48 AM
Tomorrow would be a good day to start carrying it Skeletool Sunday :whistle:

:D

Congrats again on getting it :cheers: and again for the generosity Kampfer :salute: :salute: :salute:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 11, 2016, 05:19:17 AM
I am glad it finally arrived.
Start using it and report back.  :multi:
I posted my initial thoughts in a reply to poncho in skeletool sunday if you are interested in reading them!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #52 on: December 11, 2016, 11:04:55 PM
Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 equips with standard issue breaching tool.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:35:34 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: December 11, 2016, 11:09:21 PM
Can a MT look cooler than Skulletool?
Thats quite a photogenic skeleton you have there

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #54 on: December 11, 2016, 11:14:06 PM
You do know Skulletool is Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800's standard issue breaching tool.  :pok:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:28:11 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: December 11, 2016, 11:20:45 PM
You do know Skulletool is Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800's standard issue.  :pok:
:o

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 02:41:30 AM
Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Series 800 equips with standard issue breaching tool.

That is some totally awesome pics and makes the Skeley/Breaching tool look just like something out of the Terminator movies :o :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:37 PM

There can be only one.....banana!
Minion.jpg
* Minion.jpg (Filesize: 84.77 KB)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #58 on: December 12, 2016, 08:50:44 PM
 :assimilate:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #59 on: December 31, 2016, 01:36:38 AM
Any new development ?
How are you guys liking your free skelly?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD