Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Customized Squirt

00 Offline SwansonNation

• New User
Customized Squirt
on: December 06, 2016, 10:04:49 AM
Ok fellas,

I'm new to the forums but I wanted to show you guys what I've been working on. For about 10 years my EDC multitool has either been an old Leatherman Squirt P4 or a Swiss Army Knife Midnite Minichamp (https://www.amazon.com/Vi...fRID=F7WMEP84X66ZE7S55N18).

I love both of these tools, but neither is really ideal for my everyday uses. I started thinking about modding my LM Squirt somehow to create my ultimate EDC multitool, and ran across Metropolicity's LM Splash forum posting (highly recommend!) https://www.edcforums.com...herman-squirt-mod.103948/ Basically I'm building off of Metropolicity's ideas and adding my own twist to the design

So my goal is to combine the best features of my current EDC tools. I have some CAD experience using Solidworks so I'll be using that to model a few parts for 3D printing.

The functions I use most often when carrying the leatherman are: pliers, knife, various screw drivers, bottle opener. I never really use the file.
The functions I use most often when carrying the swiss army knife are: scissors, knife, pen, bottle opener, screw drivers. The rest not so much.

So my ideal tool will include:
Pliers
Knife
scissors
various screw drivers
bottle opener
pen
Extras: Serrated knife, maybe a house key?

So to do this, my base design is going to be a Leatherman Squirt PS4 with the pliers core. I'll be adding on an extra layer like Metropolicity did with his splash. (Not sure what to call my version yet!)

Layer 1, Side A: Knife
Layer 1, Side B: Scissors
Layer 2.1, Side A: Serrated knife
Layer 2.1, Side B: House key(?)
Layer 2.2, Side A: Mini flathead + awl
Layer 2.2, Side B: 2d Phillips + Bottle Opener

Up to this point I'm still on familiar territory if you read through Metro's thread, but I need to figure out how to stick my pen in there!

That's all for tonight. I've already made some CAD drawings, but you'll have to tune in tomorrow to see them!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Customized Squirt
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:14:14 PM
Welcome to :MTO: SwansonNation :cheers:

You have put a lot of thought into that and I can't wait to see some pics of it :tu: :like:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:57:44 PM
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your plans

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:09:02 PM
Looks great!  I'm thinking of a custom Squirt as well, but more of a minimal companion to a larger SAK.

As far as the pen goes, you might need a plastic insert like the E4 or S4 have for the tweezers.  Speaking of Metro and his Splash, I think he still has Squirt plastic pieces on Shapeways.  Nothing that would currently hold a pen, but a starting point at least.  I'm excited to see how this progresses.  :popcorn:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 10:52:01 PM
That's all for tonight. I've already made some CAD drawings, but you'll have to tune in tomorrow to see them!

Is it tomorrow yet?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 03:28:49 AM

Is it tomorrow yet?

Apparently not :shrug: ::) :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 03:30:11 AM

Is it tomorrow yet?

Apparently not :shrug: ::) :D

Dang it!   :viking:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31