Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashlight for the Charge Sheath

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Flashlight for the Charge Sheath
on: December 06, 2016, 03:11:59 PM
Okay, I need your help...
I'm on the hunt for a new flashlight and have yet to come up with anything that I'm 100% sure will work.
In order for it to beat my current EDC-flashlight, it has to fit in the elastic side-pocket of the Premium Charge Sheath, have a high and a low mode, preferably a clicky switch, and, most importantly, a magnetic tailcap, so that it will both tailstand and attach to metal surfaces - such as the wall of a shipping container.

I've really been considering the Olight S1R and S10R lights, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be too wide, to fit easily in the pocket.
Regarding light output, it has to give me at least 90 lumens on max.

The light I carry now is a Suprabeam Q1 Mini, with a width of 15 mm/0.6 inches and that fits snugly. It can be a bit wider, but not much.
Regarding price, I'd like to keep it under 60USD.

Got any suggestions? Give me your best shot.  :pok:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Re: Flashlight for the Charge Sheath
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:49:49 PM
Okay, I need your help...
I'm on the hunt for a new flashlight and have yet to come up with anything that I'm 100% sure will work.
In order for it to beat my current EDC-flashlight, it has to fit in the elastic side-pocket of the Premium Charge Sheath, have a high and a low mode, preferably a clicky switch, and, most importantly, a magnetic tailcap, so that it will both tailstand and attach to metal surfaces - such as the wall of a shipping container.

I've really been considering the Olight S1R and S10R lights, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be too wide, to fit easily in the pocket.
Regarding light output, it has to give me at least 90 lumens on max.

The light I carry now is a Suprabeam Q1 Mini, with a width of 15 mm/0.6 inches and that fits snugly. It can be a bit wider, but not much.
Regarding price, I'd like to keep it under 60USD.

Got any suggestions? Give me your best shot.  :pok:

I am by no means a flashlight expert nor do I even know all of the options but I can give a couple of thoughts based on my experience.

You will never get a S1 or S10 baton in the charge sheath along with the charge itself. If you go the Olight Baton route, I would go ahead and go for the S2 Baton. Something like 900 Lumens, longer runtime, bigger battery, and pretty close to the same thickness. The main difference is length, but if you are carrying it clipped to your pocket, the S2 will actually be more comfortable because of it's length imo.

As far as smaller flashlights go (that would fit in the sheath) I may be wrong (and probably am) but I have never seen one that slim with a magnetic tail cap. I have an Ultra Tac K18 that I am very happy with. I believe that it would fit fine and when you use rechargeable batteries it will hit 300 lumens! in the size of a single AAA flashlight. If you happen to be interested I can try to remember to snap a pic of it in the sheath next to the charge when I get home late tonight.

Hopefully I helped and did not just confuse you further!  :salute:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:51:22 PM by gdoolittle »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:37:26 PM
I am by no means a flashlight expert nor do I even know all of the options but I can give a couple of thoughts based on my experience.

You will never get a S1 or S10 baton in the charge sheath along with the charge itself. If you go the Olight Baton route, I would go ahead and go for the S2 Baton. Something like 900 Lumens, longer runtime, bigger battery, and pretty close to the same thickness. The main difference is length, but if you are carrying it clipped to your pocket, the S2 will actually be more comfortable because of it's length imo.

As far as smaller flashlights go (that would fit in the sheath) I may be wrong (and probably am) but I have never seen one that slim with a magnetic tail cap. I have an Ultra Tac K18 that I am very happy with. I believe that it would fit fine and when you use rechargeable batteries it will hit 300 lumens! in the size of a single AAA flashlight. If you happen to be interested I can try to remember to snap a pic of it in the sheath next to the charge when I get home late tonight.

Hopefully I helped and did not just confuse you further!  :salute:

Yeah, I had that feeling about the S1 and S10. Unfortunately, I've gotten too used to having two important EDC-elements in one sheath, so pocket carry isn't really an option. Besides, my pockets are usually filled with other crap anyways. The K18 does look interesting, especially with the high output - sizewise, I think it compares pretty good to my Suprabeam.

I haven't seen any AAA lights with magnetic tailcap either; maybe it just can't be done, due to their thin profile and length.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:22:51 PM
I have 2 very small magnetic tail cap lights.  Both AAA however they don't fit the bill lumen wise. 

I am not aware of many magnetic tail cap lights  :think:.  Any reason you cannot carry a small magnet?  This would open
 ( possibly ) a wider range of lights for you. 

The lights I have are 4/7s PREON and ATOM, great lights for what they are.   
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:41:49 PM
I don't know of many AAA magnetic tail cap lights either, and I'd be interested in one.
Olights are too big for the LM sheaths, but most AAA torches will fit there nicely.

My carries are Nichia AAA, Lumintop AAA or the Led Lenser P3 for when I'm carrying those sheaths

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:30 PM
I have 2 very small magnetic tail cap lights.  Both AAA however they don't fit the bill lumen wise. 

I am not aware of many magnetic tail cap lights  :think:.  Any reason you cannot carry a small magnet?  This would open
 ( possibly ) a wider range of lights for you. 

The lights I have are 4/7s PREON and ATOM, great lights for what they are.
Well, technically I could glue a small magnet to the bottom of a light, with a flat bottom, as long as the switch isn't on the bottom. I've never liked twisty switches, so that only leaves lights with a side switch, but that's still more options than before. Also, if the tailcap has room for a small magnet on the inside, I could do that as well.
I've looked at the Atom series as well. Just took another look and I think that the Atom AL (CR123 battery) might be a possibility. Gonna check some reviews and more detailed specs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%