Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman C301

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Leatherman C301
on: February 05, 2007, 11:12:40 PM
OK I know it is not a tool but I had to give a quick little primer on this Jewel. I have to admit I am a knife steel snob and really did not expect much coming from this blade. I bought it at Target on closeout for $6.86, and used it today for the first time.

Overall quality is very good. I had no sharp edged parts and finish was as usual for Leatherman fine. Blade and the hardware finish is excellent.The knife is a open back design with very nicely done screws holding it together.The blade has a securing detent in the lock. This is very nice and will certainly not allow you to flick it open, which is ok by me.

Ergonomocs. Ok I got to say that finally someone has it right. I am sorry but most 3' blades have 3 inch handles. This one is about 3/4 inches longer and allows you to really torque on it. It also has a really good thumb ramp that has no sharp edges of the jimping and it allows a great sabergrip.  The handle also is a zytel that is not the current trend of thin. It is nicely shaped and rounded, allowing a very secure non binding grip. The blade is tip down carry and secures solidly by the clip.The thumbstud is a rocket when used! I feel that is is easily the fastest non assisted I have used.

Lockup. Very secure, and right where it should be, at the far left of the blade fully engaged. The handle stated as above, is nicely shaped so as I put the blade in a vice and tried to twist the lock out of engagement with no negative results. On pine board the blade also passed a very agressive spine wack test.   

Cutting ability. OK as stated above I am a steel snob and really dont like 420, however the steel is proporly heat treated, and has a good ability to hold an edge. I purposly dulled the knife by cutting through 1/2 inch 30 inch wide conveyer belting. the blade cut 2 times no problem but needed agressive sawing to make 3 more passes. On a stone the blade came sharp and I have no gripes on this. As for the serrations. I hate serrations but these are very well done and are the rolling type not the spikey kind, so cutting rope and cloth will not hang up as much. 

Ok I gave ya all the good points, now for my bitches.

1. I hate tip down carry! All my other blades are tip up, but this is just a personal preference
2. The clip needs to be bent down at the tip. Do not carry this if you carry in the back pocket. YOU WILL RIP YOU CAR SEATS!!!!!
3. The blade launcher is neat, but it really dont work all that well. I hope that it will break in more and be better. 

Ok that is it. Not bad for a $6 knife, and I give it a solid 92% grade. The steel could be better, but it actually is good.I plan on making this a regular part of my blade rotation, and most likely will buy other Leatherman blades in the future.

thanks for reading this, I recomend this as a beater and a great little carry knife. So Flame away on my review.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:18:03 PM by hawkchucker »
S

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman C301
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:04 AM
I got mine today too- I'll let you know what I think after I've had a chance to play with it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:23:59 AM
Unfortunatly I did not buy them all. And I dont have a chance to go back until Friday, but If there are more I an certainly buying them. 
S

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:43:17 AM
Of all my folders, the Leatherman (c304) seems to be the most comfortable inhand & is the easiest one-hander I own even without the blade launcher.  That's saying a lot with as many folders as I have.  I even prefer it over my Spydercos.  You can also get the LM's with 154CM blades.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:55:24 AM by Tom Munch »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:49:39 AM
I like it as an inexpensive knife.  Benchmade has nothing to worry as far as competition, but this is remarkably well made for an inexpensive knife.  It's within the price range of many cheap knockoffs and it is of decent quality.

As a former hardcore tactical knife guy, I have to say that it feels flimsier than a Spyderco, Benchmade or Cold Steel, but then at a fraction of the cost it's more likely to be found in my pocket on a boat or a long hike simply because it's not such a big deal if it gets lost or broken.

At least, these are my initial impressions of it so far.  Also, it's smaller than I was expecting.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:43 AM
I agree with the comfort. Its funny how one handed folders are going blocky in shape. I bought last week a Kershaw Cyclone that is phenominal, but is kinda rough in the hand. 
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 02:55:53 AM
Nice review hawkchucker. I haven't tried any of the Leatherman knives out yet.

Picture copied from Leatherman website:
c300-c301-diagram.jpg
* c300-c301-diagram.jpg (Filesize: 20.25 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline SoDak

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 05:31:59 AM
I found that when using the blade launcher if you flick your wrist a little that you can get the knife blade ot completely open. On mine pulling back on the blade launcher and doing nothing else will not open the blade entirely.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:10 AM
Yah, flick your wrist a bit & it works fine.  You can also loosen the hinge screw a tad bit to make it work a little freer.  It's one of the smoothest opening knives I own.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%