Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Important question for Leatherman Wave owners

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Re: Important question for Leatherman Wave owners
Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:10 PM
I think it's a great idea and I'm a big fan on not stifling creativity. Just giving some personal feedback as  I suspect that the audience this would appeal to would be a small niche. But I think if you had Kickstarter you could possibly expand the audience.
Personally I like to keep my flashlight as a separate tool, when you lose it you lose everything. No I don't use a pouch, I literally have it as a separate tool.
Liking the idea of the flashlight of being removable. Liking way to make the mounting adjustable so that it would fit several brands.

But no I'm happy with my current set up, but it's a great idea  :like:

Not to derail your concept. But how about a clip you can attach to the Wave and flashlight that doesn't interfere with the tools? Save you the bother of removing a tool that may be handy in the future, expand your audience to folks who don't want to lose a tool. And keeps it kinda separate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:34:55 PM by OldBoy2016 »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 08:55:17 PM
Appreciate the replies.

The attachment is attached on the side of the tool, that has the tiny eyeglass screwdriver. You cant use that tiny screwdriver for any type of intense work that needs alot of manual force , so the light holder does not get in the way of using that tool . The big screw driver is on the other end of the tool, so the light holder isnt even in the way and doesnt even touch your hands.

It has been mentioned about attaching the light holder to one of the tools , but the problem with that is, there is very little clearance inside the multi tool, to allow some type of fastener to attach to it, and allow the tool to fully close or open smoothly.

All the tools on the WAVE are fully functional with this light holder attached ...even the pliers { which was the hardest thing to accomplish, because the right angle had to be created on the light holder, to allow the pliers to fully close } . 

The light holder is attached on the side where the wood saw and serrated knife.  The wood saw is left on the multi -tool, and that still functions . It can be fully opened, by easily pushing the light tool a few millimeters to the right .  The only tool that is omitted is the 1 you chose out of the 4 outside tools.  I chose the serrated knife, cause I never use it { and Ive seen many people decide to take that off of their multi -tool} ...but a person could chose to take off the file ,etc. 

To the other poster who posted photos of his mods, thats great stuff, but there are several items that are just hanging/ jangling around off of your tool/ carabiner . The idea behind the light holder, is to hold the light securely to the multi-tool itself , allow the light to be unfolded at any angle, allow the light to be taken off the multi-tool as needed, 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:57:29 PM by Multitoolmania »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 09:00:41 PM
I think it is also important to remember, that the Gerber lite tool ,  is a permanently housed light , which greatly limits the use of the light and it only has 1 mode of 22 weak lumens . Furthermore, the Gerber tool doesnt even have many tools in it , or any pliers and that tool still has sold very well.

With my idea, you are gaining so many advantages over the Gerber and even though you have to omit 1 tool, you still are left with way more tools then the Gerber.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:01:46 PM by Multitoolmania »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:45 PM
I think a picture with all the tools open would help.

I assumed that you lost all the tools in the handle, but if you only lose 1 tool then this is quite good.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 09:06:11 PM
I think a picture with all the tools open would help.

I assumed that you lost all the tools in the handle, but if you only lose 1 tool then this is quite good.

I will try to get you that photo very soon. 

Yes, all you lose is 1 tool, of your choice , from the outside of the Wave .  I imagine everyone would want to keep the regular knife.  So for most people, they would have to chose to omit either the wood saw, the file, or the serrated knife.  Since there is already a good knife on the tool, omitting the serrated knife seems to be a good option.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:47 PM
Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and a video demo even better   :cheers:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:23 PM
Photo of all 4 tools opened .

Photo of all 4 tools opened .  Take note of how the lower bottom portion of the light holder, extends a few m.m.s longer . This so it that portion can tuck into the area where the serrated knife used to be . This keeps the light holder firmly in place so it wont wiggle from left to right when its in the closed position/ tucked tightly to the multi -tool. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:37:15 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:42 PM
Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and a video demo even better   :cheers:

Yes, a utube video would have benefits , but for now , I just wanted to see the level of interest in this idea. Its really a simple idea, that can be conveyed with photos and answered questions. 

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:14 PM
Photo of all 4 tools opened .  Take note of how the lower bottom portion of the light holder, extends a few m.m.s longer . This so it that portion can tuck into the area where the serrated knife used to be . This keeps the light holder firmly in place so it wont wiggle from left to right when its in the closed position/ tucked tightly to the multi -tool. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:05 PM
being used to shine light at tinder, to start a fire { in a night time situation }  , which frees up both hands to use a ferro rod and aim sparks directly at tinder.

Light and Ferro rod kinda big .. I use my BLAVE can do it all

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:43 PM

Pics of the tool closed and in plier mode would be good as well.    :tu:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 09:34:31 PM
being used to shine light at tinder, to start a fire { in a night time situation }  , which frees up both hands to use a ferro rod and aim sparks directly at tinder.

Light and Ferro rod kinda big .. I use my BLAVE can do it all

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :cheers:

ObiPocketClip    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSaQkWrMGk

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:48 PM

I thought I already posted those photos in this thread.  The pliers are fully functional and not interferred with by the addition of the light holder.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:42:59 PM by Multitoolmania »

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 09:43:07 PM

I thought I already posted those photos in this thread.

Sorry, I missed those.  :facepalm:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 10:06:33 PM
The final version would be aluminum, without the black paint job I did on mine , so it would better match the finish on the Wave tool.

At this point in time ,  I would be looking to see if anyone that reads this thread, would want this accessory , and be willing to buy it for their Wave multi-tool.

If so, please post so in this thread. I need a fairly accurate head count . 

I would want to ship them out to each customer, with tracking numbers to ensure shipment thru USPS . I think shipping would be about $4 and I could sell the accessory for $16 ..so $20 shipped with a tracking number .  I could accept pay-pal, or check or money order . I ordered several sheets of aluminum to make a run of these myself , but the aluminum wont be in for at least another week or so. I should have confirmation of receipt for my patent application by next week, for protection of the idea.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: December 08, 2016, 04:59:10 AM
Now that I see the picture it is a very neat concept and I thank you for sharing this with us :tu:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #46 on: December 08, 2016, 05:34:39 AM
Neat idea, but frankly, I do not think it sells. The sheath already has a spot for a mini maglite. How about this, you design a flashlight about the size of a minimaglite, aluminum housing and all the fancy stuff. The difference is a flip-out screw driver at the end that fits in the bit driver. There, an attachable, vari-angle light to a Wave without sacrificing any function.  :tu:

Just remember to add lil' "chrono" to that patent  :D :cheers: :D :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:39:07 AM by chrono »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 06:16:07 PM
Thanks for thinking outside the box, but be honest I think this design is too clumsy to handle.
Maybe use a small led light that small enough to fit in existing tool slot,? I know it won't be very bright but that is ok.
I carry my wave often with an AAA light, one in each pocket, it is fine they being two separated units. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:26:43 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:49 PM
Thanks for all the input . It seems obvious that the majority of responses are not interested enough to purchase my idea .  I can accept that, even though many people seem to think the idea is to clumsy or gets in the way of using the other tools,  I can assure you that it doesnt. Now maybe if you were a person that used your Wave several hours a day to do mechanical work in the daylight { which I think most people dont}  , then perhaps the light attachment would be a detriment , but for most of us, our Leathermans are used periodically for small jobs that do not require 2 hours  a day of hard- work applications .  For example, If I had to put together a large computer desk that had 60 different screws/ bolts, I would not resort to my multi-tool as a 1st choice. I would use a regular screwdriver or drill with a bit in it, etc.
I think most people think the same way as I do on this subject.

The pliers, screwdrivers, knife, etc all work properly with the light attachment on the tool . When using the pliers, the light holder is in the middle of the tool and does not effect the pliers usage.  I know this, because Ive been using it .  In the end, the majority wins out, and this thread has proven to me that there is little interest in this attachment. 

Of course I am confident, that if another multi-tool company comes out with this idea , it will sell alot of units and make a ton of money .  I think the Gerber light fit, is a awful tool.  It only has a few tools on it, that are cheaply made, no pliers and the built in LED light. is cheap, and only puts out 1 mode of 22 lumens . I consider it a poor product at best, yet I would not be surprised if it has sold enough to generate $1,000,000 in revenue....largely because it had a built in AAA led light { the other tools were typical and boring, and surely did not set it apart from other multi-tools}
  More proof that even poor ideas or just a new idea implemented poorly , can be big money makers.

Thanks again everyone !

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 07:15:02 PM
Maybe taking a different direction, make a small detachable metal light that has thin and long profile, that can be fit in the tool slot of wave, yes, it must use button batteries.

Something like this but even thinner.
http://thegadgetflow.com/portfolio/pixel-led-keychain-flashlight/

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #50 on: December 08, 2016, 07:18:04 PM
Thanks for all the input . It seems obvious that the majority of responses are not interested enough to purchase my idea .  I can accept that, even though many people seem to think the idea is to clumsy or gets in the way of using the other tools,  I can assure you that it doesnt. Now maybe if you were a person that used your Wave several hours a day to do mechanical work in the daylight { which I think most people dont}  , then perhaps the light attachment would be a detriment , but for most of us, our Leathermans are used periodically for small jobs that do not require 2 hours  a day of hard- work applications .  For example, If I had to put together a large computer desk that had 60 different screws/ bolts, I would not resort to my multi-tool as a 1st choice. I would use a regular screwdriver or drill with a bit in it, etc.
I think most people think the same way as I do on this subject.

The pliers, screwdrivers, knife, etc all work properly with the light attachment on the tool . When using the pliers, the light holder is in the middle of the tool and does not effect the pliers usage.  I know this, because Ive been using it .  In the end, the majority wins out, and this thread has proven to me that there is little interest in this attachment. 
Maybe it isn't very clumsy when use, but sure it doesn't look very elegant.
Maybe sending one to Grant (Forum owner) for him to test and review?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: December 08, 2016, 08:01:30 PM
Irrespective of interest I am sure you will be able to sell the 100 you intended to make. Maybe after these sell they will create more interest in the product.

Most people in this forum will have several multitols and several lights to choose from- they will not be your average multitool user. So if you are aiming at people that have just one tool/light you may sell more than it would appear from the interest here.

Of course, many people see multi tools purely as gadgets and willl just get a cheap low quality one with an inbuilt light in one of the handles, running on  small, watch type, batteries, as seen in many supermarkets, online shops etc.

Grant reviewing one is a good idea.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 09, 2016, 08:18:04 AM
I think it's a great idea for what it's worth. Again I would suggest a Kickstarter campaign, Etsy, or something similar. See what kind of interest that would drum up. Money talks ya know. At least move forward with the patent. Maybe you're light years ahead of the times.  ;)

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #53 on: December 09, 2016, 11:16:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsw2u_pMUzI  KEEP TRYING , YOU WILL SUCCESS  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #54 on: December 10, 2016, 01:31:23 AM
:salute:  Never quit!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: December 10, 2016, 06:32:15 AM
We maybe the wrong audience.  I don't want to speak for anyone so what I will say is I wish you the best on your project. 

Maybe send one to the boss man and see what he thinks.  While it may solve issues for you this may just be a case of there was no issue to solve for others.  Does that make sense?

I am a huge fan of the Wave.  I am also a big fan of lights.  I cannot see the reason to combine them.  This doesnt mean this idea isn't brilliant, it just means this doesnt fit how I use a MT or a light.  You certainly saw a need and produced a solution and for that bravo.

The pricing seems reasonable enough.  Pop a bunch on the bay of fleas and see what happens. 

I'd also say get one into the hands of a reviewer and see what they think.

Wishing you all the success on your project.   

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: December 10, 2016, 12:51:22 PM
Add me to the list of people wishing you every success. All I would add is that you seem to have your heart set on one specific design, but others have suggested alternative approaches. It seems to me that this crowd may be more receptive to the idea if there wasn't a permanent modification to the tool. Maybe a follow up project could be on the cards.....?

Keep trying, keep selling, keep those ideas flowing, and keep listening to the market. I think getting someone to review one would be a good idea for you to get real user feedback, however please do bear in mind that there is still no guarantee they will like it. I look forward to reading the next chapter of your design and production adventures  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #57 on: December 10, 2016, 01:01:11 PM
Thanks for posting and sharing MTM
As some have said we may not be the best commentators - all having lots of tools and lights already

Is it just me? But I cannot see the piccies of Multitoolmania's invention
Can anyone else see the photos ? - Have the pics been removed?
I would like to see them.

Without seeing it it's hard to comment

For me I am a hiker, climber, camper - Me and most of my mates use head torches - So this would not be so popular
Although of course possibly useful in hanging from tent or stuck in the ground mode
And like others here I am still a little sceptical of the advantages of this over two separate items!!

When the light is in its holder in the tool then presumambly the tool cannot be used ??
So again you win with the head torch.

I think you need a little more patience too MTM - Your first comment about lack of response was only about 8 hrs after your first post
Given international time zones and the fact that people have lives and jobs that is not a long time !!
As you say maybe leave it a week and see if there is any more feedback.

I think it sounds interesting and wish you luck - But I'm out!!
(But still wanna see it  :) )
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 01:05:45 PM by Huntsman »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: December 10, 2016, 07:27:00 PM
the pictures seem to have been removed by Grant.

maybe it was a request or a payment issue

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: December 11, 2016, 12:34:48 AM
I sure hope MTM did abandon us as a result of the comments he received.  I know it can be hard when others say your "baby" is ugly or something not supportive but isn't that part of the process?   

MTO members can be pretty specific as to what we like.  We can be a hard group to please.  Don't take anything personal MTM ( if you did ) keep after your design and IMO get it into the hands of a user not connected to you for further feedback.   

We are a good bunch of guys and gals. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44