Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nephew Survival Kit

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Nephew Survival Kit
on: December 07, 2016, 10:11:19 PM
No, I'm not trying to survive having nephews!

Each year I'm never really sure what to get my nephews.  I could just get them Google Play cards and let them do whatever they want, but I try to encourage them to be active.  Usually it's Nerf guns or something like that, so they can chase eachother around like maniacs.

This year I decided to do something different- my brother and his wife just bought a trailer in a park lot last summer, so they will hopefully be experiencing the outdoors a bit more.  Also they spend a lot of time with my parents, who live out in the woods, so I thought an Outdoor Kit would be a good plan.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some paracord bracelets, whistles ad little compasses on eBay, and the bracelets came in today, which got me motivated to get some more stuff.

I started with one of the sling pods that I bought last year.  It's remarkably tough, and at a whopping $30 it is a great bargain too.  I also grabbed some half liter Nalgene bottles, Light My Fire Sporks, Ultimate Survival GITD flashlights, Coughlan First Aid Kits and a no name carabiner.

I doubt any of the stuff will get used, especially not for what it is meant for, but I have to at least try! 

And before anyone mentions knives or fire starting equipment, I don't think that is on the approved gift list.  Those are things for their father to do for them, not Weird Uncle Grant.

Here's a photo- I duplicated everything, right down to the color so there would be no fighting over which one is which!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Nephew Survival Kit
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:18:20 AM
Duplicating the kits was a good idea to prevent fighting but they still need to be able to identify their own so I suggest something like personalized dog tag zipper pulls.  You might consider a small plastic trowel so they can dig up rocks and shells and stuff and a small net bag to put the rocks and shells and stuff in.  Then throw in a couple of bags of beef jerky and trail mix and the boys will be all set to disappear for hours at a time. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:17:40 AM
Duplicating the kits was a good idea to prevent fighting but they still need to be able to identify their own so I suggest something like personalized dog tag zipper pulls.  You might consider a small plastic trowel so they can dig up rocks and shells and stuff and a small net bag to put the rocks and shells and stuff in.  Then throw in a couple of bags of beef jerky and trail mix and the boys will be all set to disappear for hours at a time.

Some good ideas there but the trail mix is out as the older one has a peanut allergy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:25:48 AM
Man I was gonna say ferro rod and a SAK or MT :( :D

Little boys need lighters and knives :dd:

I do understand that parents don't always want kids to have these things as they see them as destructive but they need to learn to use them properly at some point :cheers:

My great grandmother gave me my first lighter and no one said a thing to her about it :D She was at the age she did what she wanted no matter who told her yes or no :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:27:11 AM
Maybe a smaller scissor or small plier based LM that doesn't have a blade :think:

The LM Leap does come to mind :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:47:29 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:35:34 AM
What about some type of survival handbook or bushcraft guide :think: That would be good for a survival kit :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 03:52:19 AM
My older nephew is 19 now and I got him his first LM about 8 years ago, a LM Wave that I got dirt cheap still new in the pack :o He carried it everywhere with him and now has a few more that he has added along with a few other knives and the like that I have given him over the years as well :cheers: I did get the idea cleared through his parents first though ;) My youngest nephew is 9 now and I am going to see about getting him a LM next year as well :cheers: I may start him out with a Leap though as his mother might not be as into the idea as much as his father would be :D

A side note the older nephew has many similar interests as me as well and I have encourage that over the years as well :whistle: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:07:24 AM
Great idea to go along with the trailer your brother bought.  Maybe a button compass and outdoor book which can be anything from identifying plants to insects as well as fun camp crafts. 

I know from my own kids when you give them gear they cannot wait to use it and more importantly explore.  I think its in most kids nature to investigate outdoors. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:20:52 AM
I'll third the idea of fieldcraft books but those you should give them outside of the bags so they know they are for both of them and they have to share them.  Unless you want to get them identical books as well.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
Great Idea! :tu:
How about adding some cheap binoculars and a magnifier glass?
That kept me occupied many summers. Looking at birds, bugs, neighbours, girls and so on.  :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 06:26:25 PM
Maybe a smaller scissor or small plier based LM that doesn't have a blade :think:

The LM Leap does come to mind :D

Both of their birthdays are between now and the Spring.  They will probably get Leaps for their birthdays.

I am hoping that the compasses and whistles I ordered on eBay come in before I have to send these, or else they will get those for their birthdays too.

I'm not sure a book is really going to mean much to them though.

Def

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:11:59 AM
..............not Weird Uncle Grant.

With that title, cutting edges and fire-making should be included  :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:04:48 PM
You would think so, but that's also the exact reason that it shouldn't happen... :P

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 06:54:12 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 03:13:54 AM
You have the whistles on order. Now, large, bright orange trashbags at a minimum or a couple of clear contractor bags and a Heatsheet (or just space blankets if you don't like them THAT much). And duct tape.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 09:28:33 AM
I bet the rest of your family awaits special occasions in fear...

Fear that uncle Def WILL give something sharp and pointy this time!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 01:24:28 PM
You have the whistles on order. Now, large, bright orange trashbags at a minimum or a couple of clear contractor bags and a Heatsheet (or just space blankets if you don't like them THAT much). And duct tape.

The trailer they stay in is in a big field with dozens of other trailers.  It's a 37 foot model and they have their own room, complete with big screen TV and video game consoles.

A space blanket is never going to be used, except when they take it out of the packahe, run around with it until it tears and then forget about it.  They won't be at the trailer until probably May, so half of the stuff will be lost, broken or forgotten about before it even gets anywhere.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 01:32:05 PM

Pretty much yeah.

The older one told me point blank last year that he doesn't want to do any thing because of he doesn't do anything then he can't get in trouble for doing something he shouldn't be doing.

I can't honestly tell you  how much that concerns me.  Kids need to push boundaries in my opinion and I always try to encourage them to do more, whether it's things that get them in trouble or not.

Of course I'm not a parent so I can't say much of anything, not having walked a mile in those shoes.  So, I try to encourage the kids to do things when I see them, and by sending gifts that I hope will encourage and inspire them.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 01:49:22 PM
A good old orange plastic bivi/survival bag is always a good idea.  If nothing else they're great fun for sliding down snowy hills. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 01:59:26 PM

Pretty much yeah.

The older one told me point blank last year that he doesn't want to do any thing because of he doesn't do anything then he can't get in trouble for doing something he shouldn't be doing.

I can't honestly tell you  how much that concerns me.  Kids need to push boundaries in my opinion and I always try to encourage them to do more, whether it's things that get them in trouble or not.

Of course I'm not a parent so I can't say much of anything, not having walked a mile in those shoes.  So, I try to encourage the kids to do things when I see them, and by sending gifts that I hope will encourage and inspire them.

Def
Like when I got my first SAK...
Cut 2 fingers open within 15min.
I have NEVER (knock on wood) cut my fingers with a SAK again.
Lesson learned the hard way, and rememberd ever since because of it.

You can't learn to ride a bike without scratching your knees!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 04:56:31 PM
Great thing about kids is their imagination.  When I'd take my kids on hikes their imaginations guided the trip mostly.  Sometimes I'd give each a pad of paper with a list of items we'd "hunt" for.  We'd look for lichen, flowers, rocks, birds, trees, small animals, tracks, and we all carried out any trash left by other hikers. 

This way we weren't just walking.  They'd have purpose if you will.  I also made sure to let them use any "tools" we brought along.  They made walking sticks for poking and impromptu sword fighting. 

Having a fun kit to bring along should prompt them to explore more so they can use the kit.   

Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 06:45:41 PM
I'd say as the others, add a Magnifying glass and  Binoculars, those are basics for the expansion and growth of the exploring mind of a child.
Then add the tools, I'd say many options fit the category, but I personally don't like the Leap so I'd go with some basic SAK, a Gerber dime or the infamous Pinnah's combo (from Bladeforums) which is Squirt + Opinel.

That way they have many gadgets, useful stuff (for threading needles, stitching, splinter picking, file capability, woodworking blade, prying device, etc.) and learn how to appreciate the time proven designs while taking care of the tools themselves.

All in all you've got quite a gift prepared there, boss!
I wish somebody gifted me one of those as a kid   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 09:47:23 PM
You an me both, although I don't know if I would have appreciated it properly then either.  :P

I'll probably bring them a set of binoculars each when I visit them next, although I don't know when that might be.  Should be well before spring though.

I like the Leap idea simply because of the blade issue.  It is a way to give them a multitool without having to take responsibility for the blade issue- their parents can decide to or not to install it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 11:44:47 PM
The whistles came in today!

They are gold colored (painted) aluminum so they shouldn't be easily broken.  Of course I bought three of them because I need one for testing purposes....  :whistle:

BTW, it's also very loud acording to my neighbors....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 11:54:34 PM
The whistles arrived in time but the compasses didn't. I didn't want the gifts to be late so I sent them off yesterday.

I guess compasses will be along with their birthday presents in a few months.  :D

I really wish I could be there to see what they think when they open it all, but I have the feeling it might take a back seat to any electronics they may get.

Oh well, I'm sure my father felt the same way when I was a kid! :P

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 06:45:38 AM
Electronics are hard to compete with these days.  In my day it was bikes and sports equipment.  The great thing is they'll have that gear for when the urge to venture out strikes. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 10:34:14 AM
As a kid I wanted a SAK because I thought it was "cool". Even though it was laying in a drawer most of the time, since there's not quite the outdoors where I grew up (something in between city and rural area).
However, when I grew up and my interests changed from software and downloading mp3's, shifted towards being prepared for the stuff life throws at us, that little SAK became more and more valuable to me.

Maybe the boys won't appreciate the gift to the max right away, but chances are that one day they'll look back at uncle Def's gift and think "actualy that stuff is awesome".

Time will tell! And in the meantime, you're doing your best in getting them out to explore ;)
:2tu:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:35:21 AM by Mechanickal »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:20 PM
The package arrived at my brother's place today.  I guess the boys have seen the bags and are excited.  All of the other stuff is wrapped and placed inside the bags, so they don't know what's coming.

I'm looking forward to hearing their reaction when they open them.  :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 04:29:10 AM
The package arrived at my brother's place today.  I guess the boys have seen the bags and are excited.  All of the other stuff is wrapped and placed inside the bags, so they don't know what's coming.

Def

I still have stuff from when I was a kid that someone else had this mindset to get me as well :cheers: I always loved gadgets and different types of sharps and shinys but some of that took a back seat as I grew up only for me to find it later on as a younger adult and then I came to appreciate it even more :tu: They will like it but it just may not be as much now as it is later :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 05:05:21 PM

Def

Me too  :D

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62