Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Coleman CM6021 Multitool

Kabic · 13 · 2810

Offline Kabic

Coleman CM6021 Multitool
on: December 12, 2016, 05:54:18 PM
First post, hopefully this is in the right section.  I've been looking at some multi tools and was never impressed with the little scissors in them.  I was thinking about getting something like a used Leatherman Squirt S4 off of ebay in addition to a bigger pocket size multi tool. 

In doing some searching I found Coleman CM6021 Multitool which I though was a pretty cool design to give a good size scissor and wrench in the same tool.  My guess is that the execution of this cool design is lacking.   

There is a video on youtube

Anybody have this or have seen one first hand?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Coleman CM6021 Multitool
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:18 AM
I haven't seen that particular one, but I have seen something similar enough that I am convinces it is the same family.  It is also not a very good tool.  From the photo the scissors look like copies of the ones found on the Leatherman Micra, which is IMHO the best scissor based tool out there.  You could far surpass that tool posted by getting a Micra and a Skeletool.  They will cost you more than the $4.99 that Coleman thing would cost, but they will be a lot more useful for a lot longer.

And I am a Coleman fan, so to say that means a lot!  Coleman only made one tool, and it was discontinued minutes after it was distributed- the Coleman ProLock.  Multitools like the one you have pictured are a dime a dozen (probably less than that) from factories in Asia that deal in significant levels of volume and insignificant levels of quality.  Companies like Coleman, Coke, Jeep, Budweiser (insert virtually any recognizable brand here) buy these tools from these factories by the container load to foist them off on unsuspecting customers.  It's the Dump Truck Full Of Money Theory and it is remarkably depressing for those of us that think brand names should stand for something. 

Anyways, enough rhetoric.  That tool might be worth $5, but I wouldn't count on it lasting very long or saving your bottom when the brown stuff hits the fan.

Welcome to the forum!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:18:21 AM
I just received a ST11 tool which is the exact same tool as the one mentioned.  I'll give it a shot and see how it holds up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:35:31 AM
I have an Outu version of this tool.  I can't vouch for its usability because I haven't used it, but just from handling it I thought it actually felt OK for a cheapie.

I like the 3-handles, 2 main tool design which is one of the few real innovations in MTs that I've seen recently. 

Has anyone put one these to any real use ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:40:05 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:14 AM
I'm actually impressed by the design and the quality for a tool of this price range. I'm going to use it but won't push it tool hard. It'll be a light duty tool and I think it will fill the role well. Not quite skeletool capabilities but pretty close.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:16:29 PM
I just received a ST11 tool which is the exact same tool as the one mentioned.  I'll give it a shot and see how it holds up.

The fact that it is a Schrade model should make you completely write this one off. 

I have yet to encounter a modern Schrade tool that wasn't a complete and utter hunk of crap.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:30:28 PM
I inquired about wether this tool was licensed by Schrade/Taylor Brands or an original design and this is my response.

Offline Kabic

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 03:42:31 PM
I have an Outu version of this tool.  I can't vouch for its usability because I haven't used it, but just from handling it I thought it actually felt OK for a cheapie.

I like the 3-handles, 2 main tool design which is one of the few real innovations in MTs that I've seen recently. 

Has anyone put one these to any real use ?

3-handles, 2 main tool design is a good description of this. 

look forward to hearing anymore feedback you have as use the tool.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:43:35 PM by Kabic »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:38:08 PM
Looking into some other tools by Outu and it's kind of scary. Here they have a CRKT Bivy copycat:

And a Buck  X-Tract copycat:

Proof that there is nothing the overseas companies won't replicate to make a quick buck. Which is what makes the Schrade/Jeep/OUTU tool interesting is because it's an original design.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:39:40 PM by David Bowen »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:02 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:31 PM
I am not so sure if it's actually an original design or a configuration option.  Technically speaking my Jeep is an "original design" as I configured it the way I wanted it, even though it was all from options available from the factory.  But the configuration is mine, and anyone else that ordered that configuration was copying me.   ::)

The owner of Great Neck Saw/ Sheffield told me that their tools were all in house designs as well, despite them being available in numerous other places, and from numerous other "original designers."

Def

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:06 PM
apart from their gas canister stoves/ lanterns, I am yet to see a quality product from Coleman.   
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:48:30 PM
Dont get me wrong, I do have many coleman products that I use and love. I love my white gas lanterns, even thought hey are now obsolete.  I own a coleman gas cannister stove and think its an amazing camping stove.  At one point I did own the Coleman white gas stove, and thought it was great for camping, until my gas tank sprunk a leak. I actually owned 2 and the same thing happened to the scond one.  I do take great care of my gear. 
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%