Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bear Grylls Greenhorn?

hk Offline aurabattler

Bear Grylls Greenhorn?
on: December 13, 2016, 11:13:33 AM
How do you guys think about it? I know this MIC thing won't be good but I just happened to see it selling at HKD$120(USD$15)here.  It is a very low price for a tool here. I don't see a lot of review online and it looks like a knock off spartan to me. The point is,  does it worth the USD$15 and does it perform what it should?

The reason I want to get it is to throw it to some guys without tools when I am working outside.  You know there are always some people don't carry any tools even if they know they need. I lost quite a few beloved tools because of that as some jerks will lost your tool if you lend them.  If this greenhorn can do what it should,  it could be a good choice to keep it given the low price.  It's now cheaper than a classic but it has a few more... And, at least I won't cry losing it.  What do you think?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Bear Grylls Greenhorn?
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:08:28 PM
For that price, I would buy it providing it is a real Gerber. From my eBay buys, most of the Gerbers that I bought from Hong Kong ended up being fakes.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
For that price, I would buy it providing it is a real Gerber. From my eBay buys, most of the Gerbers that I bought from Hong Kong ended up being fakes.
Thanks.  It is from a sizable and reputable retailer so I think it should be Ok. By the way,  never trust people on eBay when they say they are from Hong Kong.  EBay is very unpopular in Hong Kong.  Those who sell from eBay are usually.....  U know...  :facepalm:  sorry for your experience anyway.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:08 PM
No worries. I had a feeling and was curious...so no surprises when I did get the items.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 06:20:04 PM
I have the greenhorns predecessor the BG pocket tool.
Its a OK tool for the price. No half stop on the slippie blade thoug. If the greenhorn is the same, watch your fingers when closing the blade ;)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 08:14:23 AM
Thanks all for your advice!  :salute:   :multi:

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 02:20:01 PM
I got it today!  :multi:
There is not much discussion about it out there. Let me leave a few comments so that people can search it in the future if anyone else need to.  I am not a professional and this is not a pro review.  Just a few comment. And, please  excuse my poor English.

When I first take it out of the package, I was shock by the light weight.  For a tool this size,  it is too light.  Meaning the mystery steal isn't that good. The tool itself is OK. It is a solid tool.  It is not great, but nothing wrong.  It is definitely not a wild survival tool as it claims to be.  It is a basic urban tool. If you are going outdoor, get something better, but if it's for your daily office work, I think it will perform.

Thr blade is thick and sturdy.  The slip joint is not very strong, but acceptable. The blade need to be sharpened seriously out of the box. It is a bit dull! The steel is soft making it easy to sharpen.  Nothing wrong with it but it needed to be sharpened more frequently.

The phillips head is great! Haven't tested the hardness yet but it looks sturdy. The flat head and cap lifter is nothing surprised but nothing wrong.  The can opener seems marginal but,  same,  nothing wrong. 

Rubber handle, nice grip, not bad. Tweezer and toothpicks are marginal but usebale. They are kind of stiff to be pulled out,  meaning you need greater effort to get them but the good news is they won't be lost easily.

For this price,  HK$120(US$15) , it is a great back up tool which you will be happy to abuse it and throw it to folks who dont have a tool.  You won't cry losing or breaking it. With this quality, it's great value to money for this price but don't pay more than US$20 for it.  :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
Thank you for your thoughts  :salute: i haven't handled the tool, so it's nice to get some insights  :cheers:

Just an aside, good steel and bad steel pretty much weigh the same, so if it feels too light there's probably just less steel than you expected  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:53:33 AM
Thank you for your thoughts  :salute: i haven't handled the tool, so it's nice to get some insights  :cheers:

Just an aside, good steel and bad steel pretty much weigh the same, so if it feels too light there's probably just less steel than you expected  ;)
Really.  Thanks for the comment.   :cheers:

After testing for a day at work,  it is not bad at all.  The blade is sharper than I think. I tested with my fingers yesterday and said the blade was dull but it's not really. It's not scary sharp but still shaving sharp. The Phillips head is mighty and impressive.  The slip join of the blade is a bit weak. So use it carefully especially handling some sticky things.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 10:13:56 AM
Aren't mid-handle protrusions annoying? :think:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 03:27:51 PM
You mean the protrude thing on the blade?  Yes.  It is, especially when you are using it for food like slicing an apple.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 05:47:04 PM

I think they're called love handles.  :whistle:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 11:17:05 PM
You mean the protrude thing on the blade?  Yes.  It is, especially when you are using it for food like slicing an apple.

I think he means the bump in the middle of the handle.

Thanks for the insight on this tool.  It is usually the kind of thing I overlook, thinking that Victorinox has been much more successful at making Swiss Army type knives for years, why would I consider a Swiss Army type knife from someone else?  Still, you have me curious enough that I may have to try one of these some time.

BTW, Gerber lists the steel as 5Cr15MoV.  It has been a while since I was a steel snob enough to comment on how effective that is, but at least it's a knife steel and not something they found in a pit at the local scrapyard, which is where I'm sure some companies get their steel from!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:31:44 PM
I think he means the bump in the middle of the handle.

Thanks for the insight on this tool.  It is usually the kind of thing I overlook, thinking that Victorinox has been much more successful at making Swiss Army type knives for years, why would I consider a Swiss Army type knife from someone else?  Still, you have me curious enough that I may have to try one of these some time.

BTW, Gerber lists the steel as 5Cr15MoV.  It has been a while since I was a steel snob enough to comment on how effective that is, but at least it's a knife steel and not something they found in a pit at the local scrapyard, which is where I'm sure some companies get their steel from!   :ahhh

Def
Woo!  Thanks for the information for me to understand the tool better. 

For the  handle, I think it is fine. At least I don't find it awkward. The rubber grip is quite comfortable. I tried all the tools except the can opener. They all perform up to standard, especially the PH screw driver which is beefy! The only two grips for me is the knuckle on the blade which suppose to allow OHO but fail to do so and end up being an obstacles on the blade; and the weak slip joins.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 10:47:33 AM
Yes, I meant the bump in the middle of the handle. It doesn't seem practical to me but I'd have to try it first to know if it works for me or not :)

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
I agree completely, but I would be willing to pick one up and try it, as it is quite inexpensive, and not a great loss if I don't care for it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%