Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which tools have the fine screwdriver and chisel on the back layer?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Which tools have the fine screwdriver and chisel on the back layer on modern 91mm Victorinox knives? Do you only see these if the knife has *both* the woodsaw and metal file/saw, as you don't seem to see them on knives with just one of these. Thanks

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
I know these stock images are put together in photoshop or something, but still it's odd to see 2 of the same model knife, Mountaineer Lite, one shows fine screwdriver one shows chisel.

https://www.swiss-knife.com/media/catalog/product/v/i/victorinox-mountaineer-lite-1.7945.t2.jpg

http://www.luxswiss.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/_/1.7945.T2.jpg

In both cases same part number...

EDIT: from Sakwiki
"This model was not released in North America, and is not too common else where. Originally Victorinox catalog information, and image, indicated that this model included the Fine Screwdriver on the back, but it appears this information was in error as several copies purchased between 2008 and 2012 contain the Wood Chisel on the back, and some sites in Switzerland are now reporting this model as containing Chisel."

EDIT #2: Looks like recent versions of Woodsman, which only has wood saw, no metal file, does come with the fine screwdriver, and although Huntsman doesn't have the fine SD, Huntsman LITE does have it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:02:48 AM by JamesJ »
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Existing models that I know are the Ranger, Handyman and SwissChamp

fi Offline Padre

CyberTool L
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

It's a pity more models don't have the fine screwdriver, but I think the hook replaced it on most, shame, as the fine screwdriver is much more useful e.g. for tighten the recessed screws in electrical connection blocks:

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

CyberTool L

Again, that has both the woodsaw and metal file/saw, which makes me think that you only see the fine screwdriver and woodchisel now on the models that have both

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Yep those electrical connector thingies are the impossible to deal with using a can-opener... I really don't know why the thin screwdriver isn't on the Huntsman and Mountaineer, cos there's space for it and it's such a useful tool. Far more useful than the borderline-pointless micro-chisel.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Yep those electrical connector thingies are the impossible to deal with using a can-opener... I really don't know why the thin screwdriver isn't on the Huntsman and Mountaineer, cos there's space for it and it's such a useful tool. Far more useful than the borderline-pointless micro-chisel.

For me it seems odd that the chisel is usually on the metal file layer and screwdriver is on the wood saw layer...seems like if you're sawing wood, maybe you'd want a chisel for that same piece of wood you're sawing. Like why is a woodworking tool on the back of a metal file? Granted, as was said, we're only seeing them together both on the same knife these days.

-JJL

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

For me it seems odd that the chisel is usually on the metal file layer and screwdriver is on the wood saw layer...seems like if you're sawing wood, maybe you'd want a chisel for that same piece of wood you're sawing. Like why is a woodworking tool on the back of a metal file? Granted, as was said, we're only seeing them together both on the same knife these days.

Yeah, that is kind of the opposite of what you would expect...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
SAK Selector (http://www.swissarmyknights.com/sak-selector) suggests the following models that have both the fine screwdriver and chisel:

Champion Plus
Craftsman
CyberTool 41
Handyman
Ranger
SwissChamp
SwissChamp XLT
SwissChamp XXLT

but that's not a complete list - SAKWiki shows the Swisschamp XL, XAVT, Expedition Lite, Master Craftsman and Champion as having them too.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

It's a pity more models don't have the fine screwdriver, but I think the hook replaced it on most, shame, as the fine screwdriver is much more useful e.g. for tighten the recessed screws in electrical connection blocks:

(Image removed from quote.)
The hook will never replace the fine screw driver... they're of different width...

Hook is normally on the back of the scissors... The fine screwdriver is normally on the back of the woodsaw (currently).  Before the chisel was introduced, the fine screwdriver (with broader head) is on the back of the metal file...

Cmiiw... :cheers:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

The hook will never replace the fine screw driver... they're of different width...

Hook is normally on the back of the scissors... The fine screwdriver is normally on the back of the woodsaw (currently).  Before the chisel was introduced, the fine screwdriver (with broader head) is on the back of the metal file...

Ah yes, that must be it, that's why the Grand Prix has a fine screwdriver, it must be on the back of the metal file. Am in discussion with someone about purchasing a nice-looking Grand Prix, will let you know how that turns out...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Which tools have the fine screwdriver and chisel on the back layer?
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:27 PM

Ah yes, that must be it, that's why the Grand Prix has a fine screwdriver, it must be on the back of the metal file. Am in discussion with someone about purchasing a nice-looking Grand Prix, will let you know how that turns out...
Hope you snag it Paul... here's mine... unfortunately its not the old version (fine screwdriver on metal saw and no hook on scissors).

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:26:10 PM by jaya_man »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
SAK Selector (http://www.swissarmyknights.com/sak-selector) suggests the following models that have both the fine screwdriver and chisel:

Champion Plus
Craftsman
CyberTool 41
Handyman
Ranger
SwissChamp
SwissChamp XLT
SwissChamp XXLT

but that's not a complete list - SAKWiki shows the Swisschamp XL, XAVT, Expedition Lite, Master Craftsman and Champion as having them too.
If I remember correctly, the Woodsman did have the fine screwdriver as well...

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Yebbut that list was for SAKs with both the driver and the chisel - the Woodsman may have had the fine driver, but no file = no chisel.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Yebbut that list was for SAKs with both the driver and the chisel - the Woodsman may have had the fine driver, but no file = no chisel.
Ah yes... had an earlier discussion (reply) with OG where he wanted the Old Granprix... no chisel... My bad... :cheers:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Ah yes... had an earlier discussion (reply) with OG where he wanted the Old Granprix... no chisel... My bad... :cheers:

I was actually just curious, really not bothered about the chisel, but the fine driver seems very useful

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Hope you snag it Paul... here's mine... unfortunately its not the old version (fine screwdriver on metal saw and no hook on scissors).

Your looks in lovely condition, though, and has the original box

The one I'm looking at has no hook, but has the fine driver, also has the partially square Phillips driver (but don't think it has the can key slot) and no key ring nub

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

The one I'm looking at has no hook, but has the fine driver, also has the partially square Phillips driver (but don't think it has the can key slot) and no key ring nub
Got it BNIB in a local book store... they also sell a very rare deluxe climber BNIB which I couldn't pass up...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Here's an old Craftsman... Got lucky on this one... was expecting the official dealer to send me one with the latest configuration.. but got this instead... no complaints... hahaha

It has both the chisel and fine screwdriver... has the can key on the  phillips... but no hook...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Got it BNIB in a local book store... they also sell a very rare deluxe climber BNIB which I couldn't pass up...

Do they have any more? :-)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

Those were the last ones :(

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Those were the last ones :(

Just thought I'd check!

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club

I was actually just curious, really not bothered about the chisel, but the fine driver seems very useful

I haven't compaired the size of the older style fine driver to the tip of the can opener...but on a Compact or Yeoman (anything with multi opener) one might miss the smaller screwdriver on the can opener...sooo...this has me thinking of a yeoman plus metal file build with old style fine driver on the back of the metal file layer.
-JJL

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Here you go...

Old fine screw driver vs new fine screw driver

Can opener vs Old fine screw driver

Can Opener vs New fine screw driver

Can opener vs Spirit fine screw driver

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

I haven't compaired the size of the older style fine driver to the tip of the can opener...but on a Compact or Yeoman (anything with multi opener) one might miss the smaller screwdriver on the can opener...sooo...this has me thinking of a yeoman plus metal file build with old style fine driver on the back of the metal file layer.
That would be a sweet Yeoman MS... If you can get hold of the latest iteration of the metal saw (more agressive)... that would be best...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
I can confirm my recently acquired Handyman has one of those... :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
I have a unique Altimeter Plus that is basically a Huntsman with the Altimeter scales,  plus the fine screw driver.  No file. I think it may have been a special run as the main blade is etched with the name of a German blood bank. It's a nice knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Here you go...

Old fine screw driver vs new fine screw driver

Can opener vs Old fine screw driver

Can Opener vs New fine screw driver

Can opener vs Spirit fine screw driver

Oh man this is sticky-worthy. Looks like the one from the spirit is closest.
-JJL

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club

That would be a sweet Yeoman MS... If you can get hold of the latest iteration of the metal saw (more agressive)... that would be best...

I have one from a recent Champ. But would want to use a Compact as the combo tool donor so I could also get the file on hook. Cuz that aggressive file will destroy fingernails. Otherwise I'd prefer the previous 2 versions of file which as we know are kinda ok for fingernails.
-JJL

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%