Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i need a new headlight - thinking of the led lenser seo5

eamo · 94 · 4203

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: i need a new headlight - thinking of the led lenser seo5
Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 07:16:42 PM
k, after a LOT of humming'n'hawing i settled on the black diamond spot for a few reasons -

and yes, i did listen to you guys re AAA vs AA batteries -

it ticked the boxes i need ticked - waterproof, red light, plus a pretty decent beam
affordable, about 2/3's the price of the ninox i was thinking of
it got a few mentions here as been a good light so thats always a plus

ordered online so it'll be a while before it arrives i'll post a pic/opinion when i put it through its paces.

Cos it was cheaper then i had budgeted, with the "spare" money i had leftover i also bought a couple resqume tools as one of my puppies chewed the seatbelt cutter/hammer i keep in my car  :facepalm:

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 06:04:05 PM
Oops, missed your latest update mate. :-[  Have you got it in yet?  Certainly looks like a good headlamp. :tu:

This thread came to mind as I just ordered myself a Fenix HL22.  Not one that would suit you as it doesn't have a red LED, but it seems to tick all the boxes for what I was looking for. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 08:34:01 PM
no, hasn't arrived yet.

that HL22 looks nice, any pics/thoughts yet ?

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:47 AM
no, hasn't arrived yet.

that HL22 looks nice, any pics/thoughts yet ?

Not due until tomorrow so I'll snap some shots then.  I'm heading to the hills for a couple of nights as of Thursday so I'll soon see how it holds up.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 09:48:37 AM
Got the HL22 in yesterday and early impressions are good.  I've quickly added a piece of semi-opaque tape over the lens as it's got a pretty tight spot and I wanted to soften it some.
DSC_0073.JPG
* DSC_0073.JPG (Filesize: 305.47 KB)
DSC_0074.JPG
* DSC_0074.JPG (Filesize: 263.47 KB)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 09:13:34 PM
ok, my black diamond spot came couple days ago, so far i like it though i expected it to throw the beam a bit further as it's 200 lumens - plenty bright for what i want though. Got a camping trip coming up in the next few weeks it'll get a serious workout then, for now just been used for pottering around nothing serious.
had to watch a youtube video to work through all the modes, but really its intuitive enough - it'd want to be, its only a headlight ! ! !

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 09:16:15 PM
ok, my black diamond spot came couple days ago, so far i like it though i expected it to throw the beam a bit further as it's 200 lumens - plenty bright for what i want though. Got a camping trip coming up in the next few weeks it'll get a serious workout then, for now just been used for pottering around nothing serious.
had to watch a youtube video to work through all the modes, but really its intuitive enough - it'd want to be, its only a headlight ! ! !

Good news mate.  I'm looking forward to hearing how you get along with it. :tu:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:35 PM
I should also say that my HL22 passed my camping test with flying colours.  The long press of the switch to turn it on took a bit of getting used to, but I get that it's designed to make accidental activation less likely.  The low mode is excellent for close up stuff like cooking and finding things in the tent, the medium mode is just about perfect for walking around in a dark forest.  The high actually didn't get used much, but it's not a problem having it there IMO.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:35 PM

Good news mate.  I'm looking forward to hearing how you get along with it. :tu:

yeah i'll update with pics(hopefully) and a more informed opinion after my camping trip

I should also say that my HL22 passed my camping test with flying colours.  The long press of the switch to turn it on took a bit of getting used to, but I get that it's designed to make accidental activation less likely.  The low mode is excellent for close up stuff like cooking and finding things in the tent, the medium mode is just about perfect for walking around in a dark forest.  The high actually didn't get used much, but it's not a problem having it there IMO.

:like:

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:08 PM

How is the HL22 in terms of flood/spot?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 01:47:16 PM

Definitely biased towards spot as it comes, but I added a piece of semi opaque tape to the lens and that suited me much more.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 10:47:12 AM

Definitely biased towards spot as it comes, but I added a piece of semi opaque tape to the lens and that suited me much more.

:salute: Crafty. One's gotta love -or at least appreciate- these throwy lights: they become very versatile with the right bit of equipment (even if is just a bit of tape).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:21 PM
ok, so it's been a while since I got my lamp, had time to use it a bit so here are my thoughts -

short story - i like it, whether it was worth what i paid, time will tell i guess.

however - for a 200 lumen light it doesn't throw the beam as far as i thought it would. i don't know a whole pile about how lights work (other then the obvious before Mags gets in there) but my €4 cheapie cree hand held off ebay throws its beam a lot further. That is my only complaint, and having said that it served me well on a number of night hikes.

It's comfortable, and the strap is easily adjusted if you put on/take off a hat
The battery saving function is definitely a good thing - i forgot to lock the button one time, had it in my bag and the batteries got run down, this hasn't happened since when locking the on switch.
it's easy to adjust from low beam to high, and vice versa. it has some kind of tap function but that was a pita and i don't use it
i haven't tested the waterproofness - i had meant to dunk it in a bucket of water but forgot, and the weather on my night hikes was dry. it's gotten a little wet from rain but nothing substantial.
Red light function works as you'd expect.

yeah thats about it. For me, the main thing is the waterproofness as it will spend a lot of its time in a kayak bag where it will get wet, and thats the one thing i haven't seriously tested yet.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 08:55:18 PM
Glad to hear it's working well for you mate. :tu:

Might I make a suggestion for the kayak?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:07 AM
Glad to hear it's working well for you mate. :tu:

Might I make a suggestion for the kayak?

(Image removed from quote.)

thank you Garath :) (have you taken over from Mags in the Eamo slagging dept. ??) however, when you swim as much as i have done the past few months ziplocs really don't cut it - my "essentials" (ie, my lunch) go into a dry bag which goes into a dry bag and the phone / car keys don't go anywhere near the water.

re-reading my post, it won't get wet in the kayak bag, but it will sooner or later get really wet during a kayak trip :)

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:46 AM
Ah, I see the problem...you need to stop falling in. ;)

Seriously though, I see your point.  The shame is electrical items either pass a waterproof test, or they fail permanently. :-\  At IPX6 I'd not push the full immersion as that's really beyond the rating.  It should handle anything short of that though. :)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:49 AM
Ah, I see the problem...you need to stop falling in. ;)

that i do - after months trying, i've finally managed to roll, i now need to work on making it consistent and that should hopefully help alleviate my swim problem :)

the spot is rated to IPX 8 which was a major attraction for me -

IPX8: Waterproof—Tested to operate up to 1.1 meters underwater for 30 minutes. If submerged, water may enter the battery compartment and it will still operate, and it should be dried out completely afterwards.

if i need my light underwater for 30 minutes then i have much much bigger problems then seeing in the dark :D :D :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:08 AM
One thing for sure is the battery compartment is not water proof in any way.
I really like the light but it has a couple more disappointments for me, the lens scratches easily and eneloops don't fit.
Fwiw I find the tap function useful.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:10 AM
thanks for the headsup re the lens scratching - i'll keep that in mind when packing it :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:58 AM
One thing for sure is the battery compartment is not water proof in any way.
I really like the light but it has a couple more disappointments for me, the lens scratches easily and eneloops don't fit.
Fwiw I find the tap function useful.
Eneloops don't fit?  :ahhh :ahhh
I would hope that its just the high capacity ones that don't fit, the standard capacity is adequate...
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: June 09, 2017, 11:44:04 AM
so, i went to dig out my new(ish) black diamond spot as i'll possibly need it over the weekend and i noticed some rust staining on the side - and it wouldn't turn on. Quick bit of investigation later and -

now, this was immersed in water once, for about a minute as a test, in a bucket. So, seems to me it's not IPX8 for sure.
Anyway, cleaned the contacts replaced the batteries and it is still functioning but disappointed in this, i bought it specifically because i wanted a waterproof light.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: June 09, 2017, 12:42:47 PM
Damn, that's a bit of a fail, isn't it? :-\  I'd be very tempted to send that pic in to Lenser and see what they say.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: June 11, 2017, 03:28:00 PM
yeah, took your advice there Gareth and sent the pic to black diamond, doubt anything will come of it, too much hassle/cost sending it back and besides i've cleaned it up and it's still working.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: July 07, 2017, 12:16:27 PM
so, as i said a while back i sent the pics to black diamond. After a couple days got an email from their support, asked me a couple more questions and she said she'd send a new one. Today a courier dropped off a replacement.  :hatsoff: to black diamond their customer service is excellent.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: May 13, 2020, 05:01:17 PM
so my search continues - the Fenix HL60R has caught my eye, Clown has been giving me good advice in another thread, I'm wondering what others think of it ?
It ticks the boxes for me -
Waterproof IPX8 but then so is the BD Spot i had bought and that didn't go well.
Decent light output
Red light for night nav

The HL60R is pricey (to me - about €75 give or take). 

it Offline Stefano

Reply #55 on: May 13, 2020, 05:14:41 PM
so my search continues - the Fenix HL60R has caught my eye, Clown has been giving me good advice in another thread, I'm wondering what others think of it ?
It ticks the boxes for me -
Waterproof IPX8 but then so is the BD Spot i had bought and that didn't go well.
Decent light output
Red light for night nav

The HL60R is pricey (to me - about €75 give or take).

It is expensive but keep in mind that you get a high capacity quality battery and it has USB charging
I am sure it is truly waterproof.
I don't remember if this model has a neutral tint but probably yes.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 13, 2020, 05:20:15 PM
It is expensive but keep in mind that you get a high capacity quality battery and it has USB charging
I am sure it is truly waterproof.
I don't remember if this model has a neutral tint but probably yes.

hmmmm, for another €20 i could get the HM65R , , , , , , , and down the rabbit hole i go  :facepalm:

it Offline Stefano

Reply #57 on: May 13, 2020, 05:28:49 PM

hmmmm, for another €20 i could get the HM65R , , , , , , , and down the rabbit hole i go  :facepalm:

I have great respect for Fenix brand and I bought many of their lights.
But I never bought his 18650 headlamps, when I started with the lights I bought two small Fenix HL21 (1xAA)
I have a house full of Headlamps but they are all Zebralight and Armytek.
Those Fenix models that you say have a good reputation but on my head I prefer compact lights and in recent years I orient myself only on models that have a diffuse beam (opaque lens or TIR)
Do you already have a good 18650 charger and high-quality batteries?
However you could also consider Armytek Wizard Pro or Armytek C2 (I recommend you warm tint) they are sold with battery and with USB charging cable.
I don't know what use you have to do but the new Wizard Pro is XHP.50.2 and it has incredible performance with a small size

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: May 13, 2020, 05:36:03 PM
I have great respect for Fenix brand and I bought many of their lights.
But I never bought his 18650 headlamps, when I started with the lights I bought two small Fenix HL21 (1xAA)
I have a house full of Headlamps but they are all Zebralight and Armytek.
Those Fenix models that you say have a good reputation but on my head I prefer compact lights and in recent years I orient myself only on models that have a diffuse beam (opaque lens or TIR)
Do you already have a good 18650 charger and high-quality batteries?
However you could also consider Armytek Wizard Pro or Armytek C2 (I recommend you warm tint) they are sold with battery and with USB charging cable.
I don't know what use you have to do but the new Wizard Pro is XHP.50.2 and it has incredible performance with a small size

I'll check those out, thank you :tu: - the main use is hillwalking and kayaking, it *will* get wet so need something robust.

it Offline Stefano

Reply #59 on: May 13, 2020, 05:38:47 PM
I'll check those out, thank you :tu: - the main use is hillwalking and kayaking, it *will* get wet so need something robust.
I can guarantee
 on Zebralight and Armytek waterproofing.
I used them in torrential rain and often wash my armytek in water :-)
If you need advice on which of the many models to buy, write here or also in PM.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%