Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What bladeless models would you like to see?

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Re: What bladeless models would you like to see?
Reply #30 on: May 14, 2024, 11:47:33 PM
If Leatherman could make a Leap, does it seem too crazy to think 🤔 Victorinox could not come up with their own version of a removable or replaceable blade option.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 15, 2024, 12:12:20 AM
I can empathize. You have my deepest and most sincere condolences.
thank you my friend  :hatsoff:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #32 on: May 15, 2024, 03:03:58 PM
I had an epiphany while eatIng breakfast. Bladeless 91mm models might mean no corkscrew or back layer Phillips, which would in turn mean a new liner and scale for that side. And the awl could likely be considered a blade. So that may be a way to get 91mm models with no back tools. If so, I'd only need to figure out how to get a spring for the blades and mod them in.

Bladeless Explorer with no back tools? Sign me up!
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: May 15, 2024, 04:17:43 PM
Just last week, a couple of friends flew back and forth between Poland and the UK with a classic and a rambler. They were not spotted.
On the same trip a few month back, the agent wanted to take my Jetsetter. I managed to explain my way out.
But I also flew a few many other times without any questions.

Best

I awlways carry a Classic in my hand luggage and have never had an issue travelling to/from the UK & Europe  ;)

Which country/agent wanted to take your Jetsetter? If it was the UK they "may" not like that the combi tool looks like it "could" be used to loosen/remove bits of aircraft (albeit your flight would land before you managed to do anything  ::))

As I say, I've never even been questioned on my EU/UK journeys  :shrug:
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 15, 2024, 06:26:41 PM
this thread got me thinking that a bladeless cybertool would be extremely handy and cool. i'm hoping that vic goes that route with this project- in 91mm alox of course    :D :ahhh

us Offline Enginears

Reply #35 on: May 15, 2024, 07:32:58 PM
I had an epiphany while eatIng breakfast. Bladeless 91mm models might mean no corkscrew or back layer Phillips, which would in turn mean a new liner and scale for that side. And the awl could likely be considered a blade. So that may be a way to get 91mm models with no back tools. If so, I'd only need to figure out how to get a spring for the blades and mod them in.

Bladeless Explorer with no back tools? Sign me up!

This would be pretty excellent. I kind of worry they wont be using any of the current sizes and will be making a clean break into various other tool sizes/shapes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the modder part of my brain is salivating considering all the new components they may or may not make for the 91/93 line when developing the bladeless models.

Offline LeDe

Reply #36 on: May 15, 2024, 08:40:01 PM
I awlways carry a Classic in my hand luggage and have never had an issue travelling to/from the UK & Europe  ;)

Which country/agent wanted to take your Jetsetter? If it was the UK they "may" not like that the combi tool looks like it "could" be used to loosen/remove bits of aircraft (albeit your flight would land before you managed to do anything  ::))

As I say, I've never even been questioned on my EU/UK journeys  :shrug:

It was on the Polish side. Once he agreed to open it, he was ok with it. I guess the size helped as well.

gb Online SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #37 on: May 15, 2024, 09:09:10 PM
It was on the Polish side. Once he agreed to open it, he was ok with it. I guess the size helped as well.

Common sense prevailed  :2tu:

Unfortunatley, common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everybody's garden  ::)
They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline Buzzbait

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 16, 2024, 05:19:56 PM
I'm very cool with the idea of a bladeless model. It would give me a new reason to carry some of the my old non-Vic knives.

Ideally, it would have the Cybertool driver, scissors, pliers, file, and magnifier. Heck, they could even throw in the fish scaler, so I have a small ruler. Plus scales of course.
--
'Buzz

us Offline Sos24

Reply #39 on: May 16, 2024, 11:55:39 PM
I would love to see a Compact with a nails file from the 85mm line in place of the blade.  Also, a bladeless Climber or Super Tinker would be great, but the backside awl might need to be replaced to make it pass through some security.

us Offline Tuisto

Reply #40 on: May 17, 2024, 12:50:30 AM
I'd love a bladeless 93mm solo. :rofl:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #41 on: May 17, 2024, 12:59:19 AM
I would love to see a bladeless Leatherman Garage 006.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 17, 2024, 12:59:35 AM
    You could just make your own, Tuisto.  Take a Solo.  Break the blade.  Voila!  I enjoyed your photos of your pretty marlin spike Alox knife.  Don't break the blades on that one.  Too pretty.
     A bladeless Leatherman 006?  Leatherman would probably charge more for that one.  I will admit it could be an improvement. 
 Best wishes.  G
 :think:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #43 on: May 17, 2024, 01:57:36 AM
I kind of worry they wont be using any of the current sizes and will be making a clean break into various other tool sizes/shapes.
That wouldn't surprise me.

I would love to see a Compact with a nails file from the 85mm line in place of the blade.
That just might work.

You could just make your own, Tuisto.  Take a Solo.  Break the blade.  Voila!
One is bound to show up on eBay eventually.

I might just make my own bladeless mod, or have someone do it for me. All I'd need is scissors, a hook, and their spring(s). Make new liners out of Micarta. Add hardwood scales. Pin together. Easy enough...at least in theory.
USN 2000-2006

us Online BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 17, 2024, 02:59:13 PM
I think the combo tool and file idea has legs. That means you could get a 4 layer (seems to be the size people like the best) with:

Combo/file with CS
Scissors with hook
ILP and mag
THE MIGHTY FISHCALER

If I could carry that on a plane, I'd be pretty happy with it.

us Online ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 17, 2024, 05:55:01 PM
 :like: Lots of great ideas here.

Some of my thoughts

I like the idea of an obvious color code for the bladeless line - or maybe a change in shape of some sort - I read somewhere that the the entre Evo line is going by the way side... so they can use that size / shape platform for the bladeless tools.    Red has been the classic color supposedly because it is easily identified if dropped in the snow.  I would suggest the color Blurple (blue-purple), which has been very popular in modern folding knives lately.  That color would achieve the same benefit.

Including the package opener would be a great idea

It bugs me that the authorities will get to debate whether or not the awl counts as a weapon.  I use this tool quite a bit and would want on on a bladeless SAK.  And it they decide that an awl is a weapon, then so is a pencil. 

Now, on to what tools I would want - saw, scissors, magnifier lens, bottle opener and cap lifter

I would buy a bladeless SAK for sure.  I've been a Swiss Army Knight for years, and carried a multitool for some 23 years now.  But a few years ago, I started seeing the advantage of a separate blade - I had a Buck in my pocket on a camping trip (as I had discussed on a the outdoor forum years ago) and found it to be more comfortable to use than the SAK that I had in my other pocket.  Since then I have dabbled in folding knives, and would enjoy the flexibility of a SAK-Folder combo that suits the days activities.   I could have a bladeless SAK for the city,  A bladeless SAK and an Ontario RAT for camping, and a bladeless SAK and something else for the town  :think:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #46 on: May 17, 2024, 08:10:39 PM
I agree - lots of good ideas here. I could definitely be interested in a kind of "pocket tool set" that doesn't necessarily include a knife blade.

Offline ComboTool

Reply #47 on: May 18, 2024, 10:07:40 AM

That's pretty much the 93mm line (except for the "bladeless" part).

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #48 on: May 18, 2024, 02:43:46 PM
Excellent ideas and points. To be honest, I'm surprised we do not have a bladeless line already. The blade restrictions are certainly not a new thing.

I'd be sad to see the awl go. I like the inline awl so much, but the back awl is awlso great and useful.

Some new implements might be worth looking into.  :think:
A cutting hook should be mostly ok, if the sharpened edge is hidden and short.
Maybe a utility or craft blade holder? The blade can be tossed to make it compliant, and we can just get a new blade for cheap.
Maybe a blunt-tipped blade, like a rescue blade? If the police is concerned about stabbing, this should be fine.

us Online ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 18, 2024, 03:25:51 PM
Excellent ideas and points. To be honest, I'm surprised we do not have a bladeless line already. The blade restrictions are certainly not a new thing.

I'd be sad to see the awl go. I like the inline awl so much, but the back awl is awlso great and useful.

Some new implements might be worth looking into.  :think:
A cutting hook should be mostly ok, if the sharpened edge is hidden and short.
Maybe a utility or craft blade holder? The blade can be tossed to make it compliant, and we can just get a new blade for cheap.
Maybe a blunt-tipped blade, like a rescue blade? If the police is concerned about stabbing, this should be fine.

I wonder if after long last they had a meeting and did some brainstorming.

Then there was this "influencer" video from a month ago

We all know that Victorinox has had a very much an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset because it has been working for them, and they have continued to be the largest manufacturers of pocketknives in the world. 

I have to assume there has been some tipping point.  There must have been some indication to them that their pocketknives are not so iconic anymore.  I have been sensing that for a while now - that regardless of legality - Victoronox is known for their luggage more than their pocketknives nowadays.  Meanwhile, a Leatherman seems to be more acceptable in polite company.

I have a feeling that someone, perhaps even a management consultant hired by Victorinox, had suggested a re-branding of sorts, and this is what they came up with - an iconic SAK in every pocket whether you think you need a knife or not.

So your post makes me think - are they going to innovate several tools?  A newer package opener with even less potential for causing injury?   A removable blade?  Scalpel holder?  A more universal bit driver?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #50 on: May 18, 2024, 04:13:31 PM
The Roxon Flex will help with this. I'll make my own bladeless load-out and I should be ok. I can't wait to get one.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #51 on: May 18, 2024, 05:15:00 PM
That's pretty much the 93mm line (except for the "bladeless" part).
Yes indeed. If only Victorinox would see it fit to bless me us with a 93mm equipped with pliers and/or the ILP.
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%