Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Swiss pocket knife

microbe · 111 · 6545

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Re: New Swiss pocket knife
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 02:20:56 PM
Can someone explain to me in what way this knife is better than any of these (much cheaper) non-locking folders?:

Enzo PK70
http://brisa.fi/enzo/enzo-pk70-folding-knife.html

Spyderco Urban
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=915 (one hand opening, even)

Quietcarry "West"
http://everydaycarry.com/posts/16284/quiet-carry-titanium-pocket-knives

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
It's not better, it is dfferent. It has a crooked handle.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:41 PM
It's not better, it is dfferent. It has a crooked handle.

If it's only using some basic stainless steel (e.g. 440c), I'd say it's worse, at that price
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 04:14:53 PM
We might see it into context. Swiss people are rich (compared to other per capitas around the world).

They make machines that simply tell you the time (and sometimes the way they shouldn't do it, in a complicated manner) and they charge over $1000000 for them. http://www.watchtime.com/...g/million-dollar-watches/

I'm not surprised. I'm not going to buy it, but I admit that they went one step further from the Swiss guy who changed color and charged high $$ for an otherwise identical to the original Victorinox. Their knife looks unique, even in its own, crooked, way.

It takes something to deviate from the straight line.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:17:10 PM by kkokkolis »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 05:00:26 PM
We might see it into context. Swiss people are rich (compared to other per capitas around the world).

They make machines that simply tell you the time (and sometimes the way they shouldn't do it, in a complicated manner) and they charge over $1000000 for them. http://www.watchtime.com/...g/million-dollar-watches/

I'm not surprised. I'm not going to buy it, but I admit that they went one step further from the Swiss guy who changed color and charged high $$ for an otherwise identical to the original Victorinox. Their knife looks unique, even in its own, crooked, way.

It takes something to deviate from the straight line.

(Image removed from quote.)

We are used to see things a certain way. When the lines are not what we're used to, it looks strange. It doesn't mean it's not as good (or better).

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:39:56 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 05:10:03 PM
Hand made!
Except for the metal parts, which are water cut.
Oh! And also the handles, which are CNC milled following a "very complex production"

So basicaly they turned in the screws by hand...

In that case, I build up alarm systems and CCTV systems by hand 8)

Can I charge my wage x10 now??

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 05:13:23 PM
OK I'm going to disagree with everyone here...

...their web site is incredibly annoying and not cool :)  I agree the knife is weird and overpriced though.  The rule of thumb is that if a manufacturer doesn't tell you what kind of steel their blades are made from, then it's going to be 440A or equivalent at best.  Not 250CHF material.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 05:22:06 PM
Swiss wonder knife... not again... not for that price...

I'm waiting for the sknife pocket knife...

Their steak knifes are crazy, insane, expensive but if you ever need to cut steaks while diving in the ocean and looking stylish at the same time, they are the perfect choice. Also, their knives are beautiful (and I know one of the guys who makes them).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 05:25:59 PM
Also, considering its price, it should really not be compared to a traditional SAK

250$ buys you 3 Benchmade Mini Griptillians (comfortable, easy OHO, locking...) or any Spyderco of your choice.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 05:28:44 PM
Also, considering its price, it should really not be compared to a traditional SAK

250$ buys you 3 Benchmade Mini Griptillians (comfortable, easy OHO, locking...) or any Spyderco of your choice.

I managed to get an "as new" secondhand Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 for not much more than that, but that has S35V steel!

I do wish you could get SAKs with better blade steel, not necessarily something as high end at S35V (which is not the easiest top sharpen), but even something like VG10 or  N690C would be better for edge retention, and still be reasonably easy to sharpen. Elmax would be lovely, though...

https://www.heinnie.com/blog/complete-guide-knife-tool-steels/
https://gearjunkie.com/common-knife-blade-steels
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:42:36 PM by Oxford_Guy »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #40 on: December 20, 2016, 05:45:46 PM

Their steak knifes are crazy, insane, expensive but if you ever need to cut steaks while diving in the ocean and looking stylish at the same time, they are the perfect choice. Also, their knives are beautiful (and I know one of the guys who makes them).

Like this site better. Also the knives. And the cheese. And the dry meat.

Now, I too am waiting for the pocket knife version...
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 06:51:47 PM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 09:28:00 AM

Like this site better. Also the knives. And the cheese. And the dry meat.

Now, I too am waiting for the pocket knife version...
 :facepalm:
The sknives are beautiful, they are also quite clever as they stand upright, without the edge touching the table. If the pocket knife is anywhere near that nice I'm going to buy one.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 09:38:15 AM
Notice "Home - Englisch"  on my tab when clicking the link. Just sayin'. The way this website exaggerates, it is like the Invicta in Swiss watch world  :oops:
Englisch is German for English, so in a way it is correct, just doesn't make all that much sense... ;)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 10:17:31 AM
*Groan* :facepalm:

OK, just a few quick thoughts.

- The blade shape looks a lot like the one on WENGER SAKs
- Like SWIZA (and WENGER), this one also comes from the Jura region
- Like SWIZA, these guys are also pushing that Swiss knife notion
- "Refined and sharpened to the max by our friends in Solingen" -which is in Germany
- Does it double as a boomerang?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 01:52:13 PM
- Does it double as a boomerang?

Maybe?  :D

(with apologies to our friends down under)  ;)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
The site is extremely annoying, I don't want to play with the site's controls, I want access to information. As for information, this gem caught my attention: “Blade is replaceable and can be resharpened”. If the audience is people who use to throw away a knife when the blade gets blunt, suddenly 250 CHF becomes a bargain!  ;)

Offline ulli

Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 03:20:29 PM
Some pictures of the Serie Nr. 2.

Colours: Bonfire/Limestone

The price is high, but they make only 250 pieces each. You can change the blade easily if its too much used.
k-P1030965.JPG
* k-P1030965.JPG (Filesize: 506.23 KB)
k-P1030967.JPG
* k-P1030967.JPG (Filesize: 568.99 KB)
k-P1030982.JPG
* k-P1030982.JPG (Filesize: 443.72 KB)
k-P1030983.JPG
* k-P1030983.JPG (Filesize: 365.55 KB)

Offline ulli

Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 03:23:33 PM
Even if the shape of the scale looks quite strange, it feels really comfortable! Much more than a standard pocket knife. Its really ergonomic. When you have to cut something over some hours, you really feel the difference. No blisters at all.
k-P1030980.JPG
* k-P1030980.JPG (Filesize: 119.48 KB)
k-P1030989.JPG
* k-P1030989.JPG (Filesize: 286.86 KB)
k-P1030981.JPG
* k-P1030981.JPG (Filesize: 106.94 KB)
k-P1030993.JPG
* k-P1030993.JPG (Filesize: 314.74 KB)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 03:45:26 PM
Great to see someone got one of these! I'd totally forgotten about this little oddity.
Yes, the price is the real killer - most people simply don't have 200+ Euros to blow on a pocket knife. And those that do have a hard time justifying such an expense.
But it has buckets of quirky charm, that thing.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #50 on: February 03, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
Well... my dear mama used to say, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...

...but, I'll make an exception - what an ugly smurfing knife!

Sorry...  :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:01:32 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #51 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:29 PM
In west Texas it is called Hogwash. :multi:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #52 on: February 03, 2018, 04:17:59 PM
In west Texas it is called Hogwash. :multi:

Actually Butch, hogwash is an old English word dating back to medieval times... but as you Texans are pretty tooled-up with firearms, then I'll... am... let it lie...  :whistle:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: February 03, 2018, 04:18:15 PM
Even if the shape of the scale looks quite strange, it feels really comfortable! Much more than a standard pocket knife. Its really ergonomic. When you have to cut something over some hours, you really feel the difference. No blisters at all.

ulli,

That's great! You've obviously made a serious investment, so I'm stoked that you have found them to be so useful. That orange color is beautiful!

I have to say, the shape looks a bit odd.....how do you carry it? Does it work well in a pocket?  :think:

The machined scales look really well made. I was curious, it might be the nature of the photos, but the stainless liners seem a bit rough. Would it be possible to smooth these out without damaging the nice scales? (I suppose the scales could be easily removed and the liners dressed with some high-grit sandpaper and buffing compound.)

As others have said, the price is a bit stiff for me (I'd be constantly worried bout losing that stealthy grey model!  :ahhh), bit it's very cool of you to share these with us. I hope as you continue to use them, you will share some photos of how they work and age.

:cheers:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:21:03 PM by Nix »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #54 on: February 03, 2018, 05:22:44 PM
I actually kind of like it, it's limited, it's Swiss made, it appears to be high quality, the presentation case is way cool, and it's offbeat. I don't really collect simple pocket knives, so I won't be getting one, but it is interesting. Thanks for sharing Ulli!  :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #55 on: February 03, 2018, 05:25:17 PM

ulli,

That's great! You've obviously made a serious investment, so I'm stoked that you have found them to be so useful. That orange color is beautiful!

I have to say, the shape looks a bit odd.....how do you carry it? Does it work well in a pocket?  :think:

The machined scales look really well made. I was curious, it might be the nature of the photos, but the stainless liners seem a bit rough. Would it be possible to smooth these out without damaging the nice scales? (I suppose the scales could be easily removed and the liners dressed with some high-grit sandpaper and buffing compound.)

As others have said, the price is a bit stiff for me (I'd be constantly worried bout losing that stealthy grey model!  :ahhh), bit it's very cool of you to share these with us. I hope as you continue to use them, you will share some photos of how they work and age.

Once again Nix's tone and sentiment is spot-on. If I was a bit cheeky there ulli, then I apologise - if you like the knife, that's all that matters. Also, the orange colour is quite nice, I too have a thing for orange knives.

Edit: to add pic of orange knife...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 05:49:07 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: February 03, 2018, 05:59:15 PM
I, too, have a fondness for orange knives/tools.  :tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #57 on: February 03, 2018, 06:13:01 PM

... and jaffa cakes...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:47 PM

... and jaffa cakes...

Orange inside 8)

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: February 03, 2018, 06:15:46 PM
OK I'm going to disagree with everyone here...

...their web site is incredibly annoying and not cool :)  I agree the knife is weird and overpriced though.  The rule of thumb is that if a manufacturer doesn't tell you what kind of steel their blades are made from, then it's going to be 440A or equivalent at best.  Not 250CHF material.

I completely agree with you on the website! I find it smurfing obnoxious and it follows a trend that's already getting quite old in internet-age...

Their blades are finished in Germany too... I don't mind Solingen, they do great work on blades but it does remove some of the swissness of the knife.

However, for some reason I do like the color and the machining/logo on the handle.

Their marketing is the worst though... anyways... if I see one in a shop around here I'll take some pics and report on the way the handle feels. It does seem thicker, which would explain the weight, so maybe it's comfy?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%