Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Swiss pocket knife

microbe · 111 · 6544

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: New Swiss pocket knife
Reply #90 on: February 06, 2018, 10:12:14 AM
Yup, I consider it crazier to spend $$$ on a Victorinox SAK than this thing.  :D
Consider that it's a knife, and $$$ is knife money. :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:13:40 AM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 01:46:10 PM
Swiss wonder knife... not again... not for that price...

I'm waiting for the sknife pocket knife...

Their steak knifes are crazy, insane, expensive but if you ever need to cut steaks while diving in the ocean and looking stylish at the same time, they are the perfect choice. Also, their knives are beautiful (and I know one of the guys who makes them).

Like this site better. Also the knives. And the cheese. And the dry meat.

Now, I too am waiting for the pocket knife version...
 :facepalm:
The sknives are beautiful, they are also quite clever as they stand upright, without the edge touching the table. If the pocket knife is anywhere near that nice I'm going to buy one.
No pocket knife yet... but they do now have forks, and they are even pricier than the knives. But they are also cool, the fork-head does not touch the table.
Sknife Fork
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #92 on: February 06, 2018, 03:11:30 PM
In west Texas it is called Hogwash. :multi:

Still not convinced..............stand by my eloquent earlier statement. :whistle:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 06, 2018, 03:45:11 PM
In west Texas it is called Hogwash. :multi:

Still not convinced..............stand by my eloquent earlier statement. :whistle:

Fuzzybuckets endorses this post.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #94 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:40 AM
So... you... LIKE it? :D

More than I like pulling out one of my own teeth and napping it into a point to carve open plastic clamshell.

But that's about it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline cdrwilson

Reply #95 on: February 07, 2018, 03:00:20 AM
I feel as though I'd like it more if the angle were more subtle.... and at least one or two other tools.

NO handle scale tools? I want 4-5 features just in the handles like the plus scales  :tu: :climber:
WTB: Swiss Champ XXLT :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 05:32:32 AM
More than I like pulling out one of my own teeth and napping it into a point to carve open plastic clamshell.

But that's about it.

:rofl:

I think that really put it all into perspective, there.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #97 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:14 AM
I reckon everyone here would be shouting :gimme: if it was only $40, or even the same price as a nice alox Soldier, being a limited release and awl. 8)
Rambler

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #98 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:02 PM
I reckon everyone here would be shouting :gimme: if it was only $40, or even the same price as a nice alox Soldier, being a limited release and awl. 8)

If "everyone" includes me, you would be wrong. When I said I wouldn't take it over any SAK at any price, I wasn't kidding. If I had to make a choice right now to buy either a Vic Daypacker or this thing for $15, I would choose the Vic. And I already have two Daypackers.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:45 PM
Something about it really appeals to me, i really like it..unfortunately it's out my budget but if it was cheaper i would definitely buy one, i also very much doubt it will lose much resale value so i'm guessing even second hand ones will be around that price, looks good to me and would be a great addition to any collection :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #100 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:36 PM

Am... let me think  :think:...  No!... (by the way, this is the clean version of what I was going to say).

I like your puss-cat though - he's lovely!!!  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:55:49 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #101 on: February 08, 2018, 04:26:10 PM
Four big things working against it for me:

Weird shape/ergonomics
Not really a Swiss Army Knife
Very Expensive
Blade only?  :think: ...   :gimme: some other tools! (I've even gotten rid of several SAK's for this reason)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:20 AM
If "everyone" includes me, you would be wrong. When I said I wouldn't take it over any SAK at any price, I wasn't kidding. If I had to make a choice right now to buy either a Vic Daypacker or this thing for $15, I would choose the Vic. And I already have two Daypackers.
Never heard of the Daypacker so I checked it out. :tu: for the clip point blade! I wish Vic hadn't stopped making the clip point small blade. Maybe the tip got bent too easily?
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 08:19:10 AM
Am... let me think  :think:...  No!... (by the way, this is the clean version of what I was going to say).

So you really wanted to say "I don't want no smurfing smurf knife, so you can smurfing smurf off, you smurfing smurf!" :D

S'awl good, man. :cheers:

Let me introduce Federico Cortez, as a kitten. Freddie or Boss for short. He's the handsomest medium haired brown tabby there's ever been. Here he is from the other day with his best buddy Louis, who as you can see, is the handsomest short haired silver tabby in the world. 8)
IMG_20180126_181056 enh smaller.jpg
* IMG_20180126_181056 enh smaller.jpg (Filesize: 239.7 KB)
Rambler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 10:04:03 AM
For what this costs, you could get a Victorinox of every range.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #105 on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:19 AM

So you really wanted to say "I don't want no smurfing smurf knife, so you can smurfing smurf off, you smurfing smurf!" :D

S'awl good, man. :cheers:

Let me introduce Federico Cortez, as a kitten. Freddie or Boss for short. He's the handsomest medium haired brown tabby there's ever been. Here he is from the other day with his best buddy Louis, who as you can see, is the handsomest short haired silver tabby in the world. 8)

Something like that, but not the last two smurfs!  :D

Boss and Louis look like lovely happy pampered puss-cats... and...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #106 on: February 09, 2018, 12:03:24 PM
 :D Awww...
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 10:41:43 PM

Nope. If I could get it out of the TSA hostage box for $10, maybe.

One, the angles. The angles are all wrong. Not just aesthetically, but ergonomically. If it was this big of a deal, you would find more knifes with this shape.

Two, the logo. This is just spiting in Victorinox's coffee and walking away.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #108 on: February 10, 2018, 11:27:38 PM

One, the angles. The angles are all wrong. Not just aesthetically, but ergonomically. If it was this big of a deal, you would find more knifes with this shape.

If you mean the shape of the handle/body is wrong, how do you know until you hold it? Ulli likes the feel of his. Is he wrong?

The cross is an ubiquitous Swiss logo, synonymous with the country and far from restricted to SAKs. What do you think of the cross on Syph's knives, which aren't strictly SAKs?

I like the knife from a creative design perspective. It pays homage to the SAK and to SAK modders like Syph, while putting an original angle :P on things. It is a respectful design IMO. I think there'd be less debate about it if it were much cheaper! You've already admitted that you'd consider buying a TSA'd one for $10.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:33:40 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #109 on: February 10, 2018, 11:36:17 PM
..when you see +B alox knives selling on the bay for over 500 $ each - and those are standard mass product knives just with a number engraved - compared to the malvaux knives, that are hand produced in very small companies in switzerland and germany, those 250 $ are not that much. The design is indeed very strange compared to standard pocket knives. They feel much better when you carry them or put them in your hands, really "organic" feeling.
:salute:
Rambler

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #110 on: February 11, 2018, 05:15:52 AM

If you mean the shape of the handle/body is wrong, how do you know until you hold it? Ulli likes the feel of his. Is he wrong?

The cross is an ubiquitous Swiss logo, synonymous with the country and far from restricted to SAKs. What do you think of the cross on Syph's knives, which aren't strictly SAKs?

I like the knife from a creative design perspective. It pays homage to the SAK and to SAK modders like Syph, while putting an original angle :P on things. It is a respectful design IMO. I think there'd be less debate about it if it were much cheaper! You've already admitted that you'd consider buying a TSA'd one for $10.

Some of us don't like the knife, and this is a place where most folks are passionate about knives/tools/what-have-you, so you're going to get some emphatic responses whether good or bad. And I don't think anyone is trying to make any personal attacks against Ulli or anyone else who may like this particular knife. I think it's a ridiculous knife for several reasons, but if it works for Ulli or the next guy, then I'm glad they're having a good time.

And on the topic of snagging one off the TSA for $10... I might reconsider my stance and buy one to resell at the bargain price of $120  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%