Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2017 SOG Multitools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 2017 SOG Multitools
Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 03:04:33 AM
I'm sure SOG will be somewhat better quality than the Benchmark tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 06:16:42 AM
I'm sure SOG will be somewhat better quality than the Benchmark tool.

Def

No doubt, night and day difference.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 01:42:45 PM
It sort of looks like the PowerGrab uses the interchangeable tools, right? The knives look different but I'm fairly certain those are the old-school style SOG scissors, philips, awl, can opener, etc... that would please me if it did.

PowerAccess looks cool, says it has a pocket clip :tu: all outside tools - I'm digging it. Did the description say it has a protractor?

Really like the Sync II. Baton tools are really original, got to applaud SOG for that. And I'm stoked they are bringing the Micro ToolClip out again

I'm impressed by SOG, they are really killing it the last few years.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 07:09:02 PM
I've geniunely been trying to find something positive to say about these, and the best I can come up with is that at least they have been brave enough to try something different. I'll not be buying any of the items shown here though - I'm not sure who these items are meant to be aimed at, but it's certainly not me. There are many design aspects which I find really quite perplexing.

That said, it will be interesting to hear what others think of them, and whether any of them are actually good enough to be worth carrying by someone who "knows" multitools. Some enthusiasts may buy them just because they're different, but will they be drawer fodder or can they actually compete for pocket time?

I'm afraid I'll have to leave that field testing to someone else though. I can't bring myself to take the gamble on any of these. Sorry guys.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 07:12:47 PM
It sort of looks like the PowerGrab uses the interchangeable tools, right? The knives look different but I'm fairly certain those are the old-school style SOG scissors, philips, awl, can opener, etc... that would please me if it did.

PowerAccess looks cool, says it has a pocket clip :tu: all outside tools - I'm digging it. Did the description say it has a protractor?

Really like the Sync II. Baton tools are really original, got to applaud SOG for that. And I'm stoked they are bringing the Micro ToolClip out again

I'm impressed by SOG, they are really killing it the last few years.
While no tool is perfect, IMHO, things are definitely looking UP for SOG lately. It really looks like they're back in the game.

Still stoked! :D :D
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 07:40:32 PM
I will try out the PowerAccess.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 08:06:37 PM
 :tu:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 09:20:42 PM
I will try the Sync I, possibly the Baton Q4
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline michaeljuan

Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 09:57:35 PM
Wondering if the sync will have problems with California law because belt buckle knives are prohibited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 10:18:04 PM
Wondering if the sync will have problems with California law because belt buckle knives are prohibited

You can configure it, so the base is a clip, not a belt buckle. :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 10:59:08 PM

You can check with SOG for a clarification, but I am pretty sure it won't fall under belt buckle knife definition, as it is right at the open, not trying to disguise. 
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline michaeljuan

Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 07:16:18 AM
So I looked up the CA legal definition of a belt buckle knife. I think the SOG Sync will not fall under this definition and I emailed SOG for clarification. I'm not a legal expert I'm just a person with access to google so don't take my word for it.
PENAL CODE - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]  ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
TITLE 1. PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS [16000 - 17360]  ( Title 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
DIVISION 2. DEFINITIONS [16100 - 17360]  ( Division 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
As used in this part, “belt buckle knife” is a knife that is made an integral part of a belt buckle and consists of a blade with a length of at least two and one-half inches.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 07:54:12 AM
Anyone know why SOG isn't retailed in any store over here in West-Europe?

They're available from webstores IF you try to find them, but this makes sending them in, in case of issues, a lot more complicated.

I like holding something before I'm deciding wether to buy or not.
Vic's: No problem
LM: No problem
All the others: good luck.

I'm meeting more and more people in my age group who love multi's, and just buy LM because of availability.
So it seems to me, companies like SOG are missing out on opportunities here...

Edit: spelling

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:34 AM
Heinnies sell them, but I don't think SOG have an established supplier network in Europe. For example, I believe all items have to be returned to USA for warranty issues rather than local agents/importers.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 12:44:31 PM
Heinnies sell them, but I don't think SOG have an established supplier network in Europe. For example, I believe all items have to be returned to USA for warranty issues rather than local agents/importers.

that last part is true... >:(
and a Bummer for us, TBH
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 02:24:19 PM
Indeed! It's one of the reasons that I am loathed to take a chance with anything new from SOG. Quality still seems to be hit and miss, but it there was a UK address to send failures too, it wouldn't be too bad.

If a Gerber craps out, I know there's a local company that will take care of things. If a SOG craps out, I have to pay for international shipping, and hope I don't get hit with customs and release fees on the trip back to me. Coupled with dodgy designs and several years of poor quality control, this makes a SOG quite a risky purchase.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 12:43:49 AM
So I looked up the CA legal definition of a belt buckle knife. I think the SOG Sync will not fall under this definition and I emailed SOG for clarification. I'm not a legal expert I'm just a person with access to google so don't take my word for it.
PENAL CODE - PEN
PART 6. CONTROL OF DEADLY WEAPONS [16000 - 34370]  ( Part 6 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
TITLE 1. PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS [16000 - 17360]  ( Title 1 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
DIVISION 2. DEFINITIONS [16100 - 17360]  ( Division 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. ) 
As used in this part, “belt buckle knife” is a knife that is made an integral part of a belt buckle and consists of a blade with a length of at least two and one-half inches.
(Added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. Effective January 1, 2011. Operative January 1, 2012, by Sec. 10 of Ch. 711.)

This has been discussed in another thread, and the general consensus is that no, the Sync will not fall on the wrong side of the law.  The law is written for belt buckle type knives that rely on concealment of a potentially dangerous weapon.  This tool is not designed to be concealed, nor is it an effective weapon, as you would have to draw it and fold out the knife with both hands. 

And you know. also it's a pair of pliers.

That having been said, son't try and smuggle it into a courthouse or onto a plane, or threaten people anywhere with it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 07:08:54 AM
PENAL CODE - PEN

Dude, nothing against cops but if you appear to be dangerous or unstable you will get stopped. Reach for something and you will get tasered or shot. Just the way things are. Good in a way, bad for folks who just want to have a tool handy.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 02:25:58 PM
I can't wait for SHOT Show 2017 to hit so we can get some more looks and info on these new SOGs. January 17th can't come quickly enough.

Does it seem to anyone else that the PowerGrab is quite a bit larger than the PowerPlay? It says 7.1"  which would put it on par with a PowerLock size-wise. That's an inch longer than the PowerPlay.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 05:37:41 AM
Talk about first world problems...

It looks like I may need to shift something to make room for more SOGs soon. My SOG drawer is currently full at the moment.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: December 30, 2016, 06:15:58 PM
Better start checking Sears and Canadian Tire for new tool chests!   :pok:

Def

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #51 on: December 30, 2016, 06:21:57 PM
Talk about first world problems...

It looks like I may need to shift something to make room for more SOGs soon. My SOG drawer is currently full at the moment.
<----- Guilty.  I now have several - very nice if I do say - SOG products. I'm quite pleased with the one's I've tried so far :tu: :tu:
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: December 31, 2016, 01:45:42 AM
I have no more room for another unit...and that is a good thing. :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: December 31, 2016, 04:04:43 AM
Buy the house next door and expand into it....

Come on Dan, if you want to keep going with this teaching thing you are going to need to put more effort into creative problem solving!   :pok:

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: December 31, 2016, 05:03:24 AM
Yeah...I did a calculation earlier today. If I were to EDC one item from my collection each day, it would take me 8.2 years for a full rotation.  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: December 31, 2016, 02:56:38 PM
Is that a bad thing?

Def

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 05:07:23 AM
     Hey I just noticed on the SOG website some pix of the new tools.  A few good ones of the power access.  Just wanted to let everyone know. Not all are in there yet  but it is a start.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:08 AM
No, but the number did surprise me somewhat.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 03:16:17 PM
     Scratch my last post. They removed them.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 10:54:51 PM
     Scratch my last post. They removed them.

Aw bummer. I got way too excited there for a second after i saw your initial post. Right up until i scrolled down to this post. Lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%