Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Talk me into (or out of) a SAK

us Offline 4everYoung

on: December 21, 2016, 03:58:13 PM
Well as the title states, tell me why I need/want a SAK.

But first a bit of back story. I received my first SAK when I was about 7-8 yrs old. A Christmas present from my grandma. If I remember correct it had a blade, saw, scissors, cork screw, awl and may a couple other items. I know it had red scales with tooth pick and tweezers. I was very proud of it and tried carrying it n my pocket. But alas it was kinda big and heavy for my pants back then. And tragically it started fall apart. The scale came off of one side and  the scissors broke . So it got stored in the unused pile.
Alas this really left a bad impression with me about the little red handle knives.  I tried a couple classics over the years on keychains, but they never lasted long. Usually the key ring would get snagged and stretched out. Loosing the knife or stabbing me in the thigh.
With that said, I find myself attracted to the luster of the Alox SAKs. I like the wenger SI with the bale.
Currently I'm eyeing the pioneer x. I think the blade size was a  good and the scissors meet my other needs.

Ideally I'd like a SAK with a pocket clip (don't know how that works with the alox) or a pocket dangled thingy .
It would be my main blade and carried with small plier based tool like the Dime or squirt.  Don't really like heavy bulky knives, so no champ.... must be able to clip to pocket or dangle inside. As a reference I edc a skeletool in right front pocket. So it would be in completion with it purposes.

So educate me, impart me your SAK wisdom. What should I be looking at? Why? And a pic if possible.
Thanks in advance

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Talk me into (or out of) a SAK
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:07:50 PM
If you're certain that you will carry a small plier based tool together with the SAK, and all you want is a knife blade and scissors and alox is a must, then I think the Pioneer X is the way to go.

If you want it to be a lot thinner, and a smaller (but still useful) blade is sufficient: have a look at the MoneyClip:

MoneyClips can be found easy on eBay and are quite cheap.

An alternative with a more "mature" knifeblade is the old Voyageur, but those can be hard to find and will be a bit expensive:

For reference: the Pioneer X is 93mm long, the Voyageur is 84mm long and the MoneyClip is 74mm.
a Classic is 58mm.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:12:29 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline FolderBeholder

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:09:53 PM
Hmmm, this is a tough one to figure out.
I LOVE SAKs, but I almost feel like talking you out of one.

You mention needing a main blade with a clip.  Spyderco comes to mind.  Great clip, great knives, some Benchmade knives too fill this spot.
You mention not wanting bulk, but you'll have two since you'd like your Dime or Squirt along with it....see this is why I can't figure this out.

I wonder if your grandma had bought a genuine SAK because they are pretty durable, or you were a rambunctious boy...possibly the latter  :pok:  :angel:.  Bless your grandma for getting you a multi-tool though...love grandmas.  :D

I'll be curious what the other folks here come up with for you.
You didn't mention if you want the blade to lock or not.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:22:35 PM
Props to Grandma. 

As to which SAK to get that meets your criteria  :think:  A Classic in Alox really should be more than capable of dangling from your key for a very long time.  I've have a Manager on mine for well over 4 years with ZERO issues. 

The money clip is another great option.  I do think however that such a small knife plus clip isn't really...........  whats the word I'm looking for  :think:

The Wenger SI is a great SAK.  Plenty durable enough tho as you know no scissors.  I'd also consider a Cadet.  Lots of fun colors and again plenty durable for keychain or pocket carry.

Geting a pocket dangler is a great way to carry SAKs.  Good luck.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:23:22 PM
Let me clarify, I'm not looking for another dedicated folder. I have a ton of edc folders and tactical folders that rarely carry that often anymore.

Also the plier based tool will be carried in the opposite pocket as it is now. So it of no concern about interference.

I don't want a knife that sits sideways in my pocket. That's why I prefer a clip or dangler. 

Also will only be pocket carried not key ring/keychain tools for me.

And unfortunately, the first SAK was real, came in a nice box but I was too young to realize the value of those things. I still have it but it packed up in storage.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:27:52 PM by 4everYoung »

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:32:19 PM
Some pics of Dime with Cadet and Soldier.
Then a Cadet plus it has a wood saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:39:23 PM

For reference this is my most used combos for edc. Usually a skeletool and the Style CS. Next Kershaw BOA and DIme or the Dime /Stockman.  But I hate how the stockman sits in my pocket and it always seems to slide out.
The BOA and skeletool both weigh in at 5oz.
For a primary blade I'd likely to keep it about 2.5" to 3". I always fee like that's good usable size   

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:41:45 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

What's the blade length on the soldier and closed length? In inches if possible. I'm not good  at metric conversions

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 04:42:33 PM
Leaving for Dr. appt.  Be back later with more info.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 04:43:54 PM
I rotate between my custom 93mm alox (based on pioneer x), custom Yeoman, custom Golfer 84mm and custom Golfer (essentially a Compact)...

Hard to recommend any... but you can't go wrong with the Pioneer X...

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 04:47:04 PM
Measuring. Doc always makes me wait   

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 04:59:19 PM
That seems to be the size I'm looking for. How's that in comparison to the pioneer x?  From what I read t seems the pioneer is a tad bit bigger.
Also I'm assuming it will be 3 wide with addition of the scissors vs the 2 on the Soldier??
Any others comparable in size that I should be like looking at besides pioneer or pioneer x?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 05:47:30 PM
Look for durable (alox) , two-three layers, scissors/saw + blade.

put a $2 hanger and ready to tote around the world!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline Padre

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 06:08:15 PM
I wouls stay out from Victorinox. Try Böker Tech Tools. They are like other SAKs but with pocket clip! They also have better and wider blade. They come in three "colors",  green Outdoor, black City and carbon fiber. The quality is at par with Victorinox. The tools come in seven variations, from 1 to 7: for example 5 has scissors, pliers and phillips when 3 has scissors and corkscrew.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 06:59:36 PM
I wouls stay out from Victorinox. Try Böker Tech Tools. They are like other SAKs but with pocket clip! They also have better and wider blade. They come in three "colors",  green Outdoor, black City and carbon fiber. The quality is at par with Victorinox. The tools come in seven variations, from 1 to 7: for example 5 has scissors, pliers and phillips when 3 has scissors and corkscrew.

Burn the heretic! Boo!  :twak:
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

fi Offline Padre

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 07:58:04 PM

Hey sir!  He asked us to talk him in or out...  I love Victorinox and Wenger but when it comes to pocket clips they have little to offer and Böker is really the only quality option.  :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 09:17:45 PM

Hey sir!  He asked us to talk him in or out...  I love Victorinox and Wenger but when it comes to pocket clips they have little to offer and Böker is really the only quality option.  :)

There are a number of Modders who will add a pocket clip to a 93mm Alox Victorinox, it's usually quite a cheap mod
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 11:42:37 PM
So it's looking like somewhere in the 93mm size. I looked at the cadets but I don't think that would be quite big enough to carry as my main blade.
Anyone have a cadet and pioneer side by side comparison open and shut ?

Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 12:03:52 AM
Cadet and Pioneer X
My Pioneer had stone washing done to the blades, but otherwise it's just a Pioneer X (scissors is what X is for).

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:06:49 AM by FolderBeholder »

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 12:36:34 AM
Hmm not as much difference in blade length as I thought. But I feel the scissor would definitely make up for the extra bit  of length and girth in the pocket. Thanks for the photos. Now if I could only get it in green
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:37:41 AM by 4everYoung »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 12:21:52 PM

What's the blade length on the soldier and closed length? In inches if possible. I'm not good  at metric conversions
Pioneer is based on the soldier... soldier and all pioneer range models (solo, pruner,electrician, harvester, farmer, pioneer x, etc) are 93mm...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 12:24:15 PM
Cadet is 84mm ... the same size as bantam, waiter, tourist, small tinker, sportsman , etc.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 12:40:08 PM
Hmm not as much difference in blade length as I thought. But I feel the scissor would definitely make up for the extra bit  of length and girth in the pocket. Thanks for the photos. Now if I could only get it in green (Image removed from quote.)

The blade is much thicker and stronger on the 93mm Alox models, it's not just a difference in length. They also have the great inline awl

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:05 PM
Just to be different, you don't want a SAK.
 :D
Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 12:48:39 PM
Danglers work well on SAKs with a keyring. You might want to look at a 108mm Solo. It's blade has a good size and nylon scales are quite tough. No extra tools, though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:51:13 PM
SAKs are the way to go, when

- dedicated tools are not at hand
- single blade knives are too limited
- plier based multitools are too much.

Which happens quite often.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 01:18:27 PM
Just to be different, you don't want a SAK.
 :D

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 01:36:17 PM
 :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 03:59:34 PM
I find myself attracted to the luster of the Alox SAKs. I like the wenger SI with the bale. Currently I'm eyeing the pioneer x.

...must be able to clip to pocket or dangle inside. As a reference I edc a skeletool in right front pocket. So it would be in completion with it purposes.

What should I be looking at? Why? And a pic if possible.

Of all the SAKs I like the alox the most. They are pretty, solid, and basically bomb-proof. The Pioneer X is excellent, and currently my favorite.

I normally clip one to the corner of the LFP with a Nite-Ize S-Biner clip. The benefit of this arrangement over the typical dangler clips is that you can quickly remove the clip to use the key ring side tools. I've been using this setup for more than 5 years.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:02:39 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 04:02:17 PM
I find myself attracted to the luster of the Alox SAKs. I like the wenger SI with the bale. Currently I'm eyeing the pioneer x.

...must be able to clip to pocket or dangle inside. As a reference I edc a skeletool in right front pocket. So it would be in completion with it purposes.

So educate me, impart me your SAK wisdom. What should I be looking at? Why? And a pic if possible.

Of all the SAKs I like the alox the most. They are pretty, solid, and basically bomb-proof. The Pioneer X is excellent, and currently my favorite.

I normally clip one to the corner of the LFP with a Nite-Ize S-Biner clip. The benefit of this arrangement over the typical dangler clips is that you can quickly remove the clip to use the key ring side tools. I've been using this setup for more than 5 years.

This is actually how I'm probably gonna carry it. It's how I carry my Dime in my pocket now. Pretty minimal and you have a biner if you need it

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%