Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Squirt mod, maybe a Squirt M4?

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
LM Squirt mod, maybe a Squirt M4?
on: December 22, 2016, 12:31:27 AM
So I essentially came up with a problem to a solution I already had.  In other words, I would hardly call this necessary, but it works for me :tu:

With that out of the way, I've been trying to find a little buddy to carry with my Pioneer X.  In the past (and occasionally still), I carried a Pioneer with a Style PS, for a nice, compact combo.  When the Pioneer X came out, it seemed perfect for me.  Except, now, I didn't need the scissors of the Style PS.

I was looking at non-scissor options for these small MTs.  Everything out there was a compromise, giving up something from my previous combo.  The easiest choice was the Squirt P4, but I lose tweezers. 

I did find that the SeberTool M4 has a great tool set for what I want, but I can't find one of those (I'll still keep looking)...so I made something pretty close on a Squirt frame.

For this mod, I tore apart a broken E4, dinged up S4, and well-used PS4.  I took the 3D phillips, the nail file, tweezers, and plier head (the rest being the same across the series).  I also used two colors for the scales, that were the least torn up (though still pretty rough).

I'll explain the process in the next post, for anyone interested.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: LM Squirt mod, maybe a Squirt M4?
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:59 AM
So I essentially came up with a problem to a solution I already had.  In other words, I would hardly call this necessary, but it works for me :tu:

With that out of the way, I've been trying to find a little buddy to carry with my Pioneer X.  In the past (and occasionally still), I carried a Pioneer with a Style PS, for a nice, compact combo.  When the Pioneer X came out, it seemed perfect for me.  Except, now, I didn't need the scissors of the Style PS.

I was looking at non-scissor options for these small MTs.  Everything out there was a compromise, giving up something from my previous combo.  The easiest choice was the Squirt P4, but I lose tweezers. 

I did find that the SeberTool M4 has a great tool set for what I want, but I can't find one of those (I'll still keep looking)...so I made something pretty close on a Squirt frame.

For this mod, I tore apart a broken E4, dinged up S4, and well-used PS4.  I took the 3D phillips, the nail file, tweezers, and plier head (the rest being the same across the series).  I also used two colors for the scales, that were the least torn up (though still pretty rough).

(Image removed from quote.)

I'll explain the process in the next post, for anyone interested.

:like: :like: :like: :like: :cheers: :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 02:16:43 AM
Oooh, that's a cracker Eddie. :drool:  Nice job mate. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:09:47 AM
Thanks Obi and Gareth!

Here's some of the process.

Disassembly consisted of filing the pins flat and drilling out the middle a bit.  After the first few pieces came off I filed the end thinner to help get it the rest of the way out.

Once disassembled, I started cleaning pieces with a brush and soapy water.  Then picked the best of what I had and set it aside.  I did end up taking a punch to the plier head pivot to tighten it up a bit.  Now the wire cutters can cut paper again.

The next part was definitely the most tedious.  The 1/8 pivots I ordered were just a bit too thick, and had to be sanded down.

Then the pivots had to be shortened.  I eyeballed the length and used the dremel to get it close to length.  And then it was trial and error.  Assemble one  side (leaving the springs loose), check, disassemble, file some more, repeat. 

I left the caliper set to inches for the American LM tool (usually use mm for SAKs though :) )

Once I got the pivots all to the right length, I assembled everything except the plier backsprings.  This was based on Metro's write-up of his Splash mod.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42106.msg681965.html#msg681965

In Metro's thread (page 4 I think), he explains how to back out a pin, insert the springs, and, using pliers, squeeze it all into place while tapping the pin back in.  It sounds complicated, but the pictures in his thread show it well.  How he managed to take pictures while using his other 3 hands to get it all together is beyond me.  ;)

With the springs in place, and a bit of loctite on the screws, it's ready to go.  Actually, I need to sharpen the blade tomorrow, then it's ready to go.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 05:04:55 AM
Awesome mod and I have always loved the tiny 3d Phillips that the E4 had :tu: Great toolset and looks to be a great companion to the Pioneer X :like: :like:

I have a Sebertech M4 and trust me this is better ;) :tu: Don't get me wrong, it is a nice tool as well but the pliers of the LM Squirt are superior IMO :cheers:

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 06:04:28 AM

Awesome mod and I have always loved the tiny 3d Phillips that the E4 had :tu: Great toolset and looks to be a great companion to the Pioneer X :like: :like:

I have a Sebertech M4 and trust me this is better ;) :tu: Don't get me wrong, it is a nice tool as well but the pliers of the LM Squirt are superior IMO :cheers:

Thanks!  Good to know :salute:

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:32:28 AM
GJ  :like:

I hope to be the proud owner of some squirt parts soon (I need to dissassemble my donors first) as I want to make a LM style ES mod, and will likely be following in your footsteps to make an ultracompact LM squirt consisting of just folding pliers.
Saved for future reference.

And thanks for sharing  :cheers:
-T
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 07:22:22 AM
GJ  :like:

I hope to be the proud owner of some squirt parts soon (I need to dissassemble my donors first) as I want to make a LM style ES mod, and will likely be following in your footsteps to make an ultracompact LM squirt consisting of just folding pliers.
Saved for future reference.

And thanks for sharing  :cheers:
-T
Sounds like a good plan :tu:  A Style ES sounds great!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 11:51:22 AM
Great walk-through Eddie. :hatsoff:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 05:26:52 PM

:cheers: :cheers:
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:34:03 PM
Thanks everyone!  It's now sharpened and in my pocket today. :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:32:48 PM

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 05:13:17 AM
Like I said I love the mod and badge awarded :cheers: :cheers: Congrats :tu:

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 05:16:14 AM
Like I said I love the mod and badge awarded :cheers: :cheers: Congrats :tu:
Great, thanks!  My first badge in a year or so, now I need to see if need to pick up any more :think:

england Offline revpig

Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 06:21:33 PM
Great mod and really liked the walk through.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 06:24:01 PM
Great mod and really liked the walk through.
Thanks, appreciate it :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD