Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

how useful is the explorer??

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: how useful is the explorer??
Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
Mag glass isn't meant for reading small print originally, but to light fire with the sun light. And it works really well. Sure you can read with it too.
The main point is the inline phillips that is better than the backside one.

Don't think lightining a fire with the mag galss would work very well in the UK, but you may have better luck in sunnier countries!

The inline Phillips as well as providing better access is less likely to fold on you in use than the back scale one.

BTW I liked the mag glass/inline Phillips layer so much I comissioned this Ti Yeoman from Syph:

(Image removed from quote.)

Great minds think alike. Me too ! Gotta love titanium scales and brass liners too. And a brass mag holder ! :salute:

Cool, do you have a picture?
Not yet ... but I'll get onto it
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 09:14:09 PM
I got rid of every Swiss knife I owned that had a mag glass. Champion, Yeoman, Explorer, and Wenger Tool Chest (?). I just didn't find them useful enough

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 09:47:01 PM
so much talk of this one made me carry it today. Lovely mag glass to see stains, problems and issues or discoloration on plants, leaves and flowers!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
I got rid of every Swiss knife I owned that had a mag glass. Champion, Yeoman, Explorer, and Wenger Tool Chest (?). I just didn't find them useful enough

Heresy!  :twak:
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 09:16:27 PM

... and now for some reason all I'm thinking of is Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in Carry On Cleo saying "Infamy Infamy ... they've all got it Infamy" ... etc etc.

The mind is a strange thing ...

Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 10:22:05 PM

... and now for some reason all I'm thinking of is Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in Carry On Cleo saying "Infamy Infamy ... they've all got it Infamy" ... etc etc.

:D

It may well be heresy, but it's also reality  :) I do like the idea\concept, but in practice it just didn't work out. Each to their own, and like so many other aspects of multitools, you'll never truly know how well it will suit you till you try it for yourself.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:18 PM

:D

It may well be heresy, but it's also reality  :) I do like the idea\concept, but in practice it just didn't work out. Each to their own, and like so many other aspects of multitools, you'll never truly know how well it will suit you till you try it for yourself.  :cheers:

I know, I'm only teasing. I collect coins on the side and a mag glass is damned useful for examining them
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%