Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[Online Shopping] Best purchase of 2016

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
[Online Shopping] Best purchase of 2016
on: December 23, 2016, 05:41:16 PM
Online shopping can go very wrong. The item is smaller / larger than expected or does not live up to expectation.

So, what did you buy this year that turned out to be everything you expected, or even better. Despite you never held it in your hand before?

For me, it is the Benchmade Mini Griptilian. For some reason, no brick and mortar store sells Benchmades, so I took a plunge and ordered one just to see whats the fuss about. And I can only conclude, that was a great purchase because that is a great knife that suits me very well.
best.jpg
* best.jpg (Filesize: 131.29 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: [Online Shopping] Best purchase of 2016
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:58:51 PM
Granted this wasn't a 2016 purchase, this knife did in fact come from a brick and mortar store, probably before the whole idea of internet shopping became a thing.
benchmade-knife.JPG
* benchmade-knife.JPG (Filesize: 118.3 KB)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:27:13 PM
I almost lost out on a Wenger Soldier (the old 100mm version). The seller had not drawn any attention to it and in fact it was basically hidden behind a heap of junk.
I was vary of starting the bidding for fear of getting the bidding started (he started the auction at a dollar-equivalent) so I was a bit angry with myself when he retracted his auction with 4 days to go and no bids. Fortunately I found another auction of his and used that to contact him and got him to put it up again with a BIN price of 25 $. I happily carried that knife for most of the minimalist challenge.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 12:32:56 AM
Value-wise: $65 for a lot of 2 Skeletool with 154CM blades, Juice XE6, Juice CS4, and Juice C2. All are in excellent condition  :P

In term of coolness, I paid $125 for a knife, which was thought to be a SOG Stingray with cocobolo scales. It turned out to be a SOG Tomcat instead. My favorite knife for sure.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 05:08:54 AM
Sometimes being an insomniac is a good thing.  Back in October I opened E-bay at 2 in the morning and I found this set including a Victorinox Mountaineer and an Alox Classic SD, a Myerchin titanium rigging knife, and a Leatherman Sidekick. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, I was just looking because I couldn't sleep.  It was all for a "buy it now" price that would have almost been reasonable just for the Sidekick. I didn't need any of it but how could I not for that price. Including shipping, $44.00
P1110438.JPG
* P1110438.JPG (Filesize: 163.98 KB)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:10:27 AM by Alan K. »

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 06:05:34 AM
Online shopping can go very wrong. The item is smaller / larger than expected or does not live up to expectation.

So, what did you buy this year that turned out to be everything you expected, or even better. Despite you never held it in your hand before?

For me, it is the Benchmade Mini Griptilian. For some reason, no brick and mortar store sells Benchmades, so I took a plunge and ordered one just to see whats the fuss about. And I can only conclude, that was a great purchase because that is a great knife that suits me very well.
Would you say this is better than a delica or native 5?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 06:08:16 AM
i am digging the pink para 2, even though I'm usually not a pink kind of person. The m1x is also awesome!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 11:03:58 AM

As an owner of a Native 5 G10 I would say the Mini Griptilian beats it by a lightyear, I'm not familiar enough with the Delica to give a judgment but I held one in my hands many times. For me, the blade shape of Spydercos is off, they are all too pointy (I like the small ones, though, mostly the Dragonfly 2)... To me there is only one Spydie left, Tasman Salt Serrated Edge (That could make a good rescue knife, when the tip is blunted).

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 11:05:35 AM

As an owner of a Native 5 G10 I would say the Mini Griptilian beats it by a lightyear, I'm not familiar enough with the Delica to give a judgment but I held one in my hands many times. For me, the blade shape of Spydercos is off, they are all too pointy (I like the small ones, though, mostly the Dragonfly 2)... To me there is only one Spydie left, Tasman Salt Serrated Edge (That could make a good rescue knife, when the tip is blunted).
Great now I need to get a mini griptilian :facepalm:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 11:54:47 AM
In terms of "Value", it'd have to be the Swisstool Spirit + Sheath + Ratchet and Bits for $40
In terms of "cool!" and "never thought I'd end up getting one" it's the Cold Steel Swift, paid $65 for it but gosh it's my first true Assisted Opener and so fun to flick around.
Has a ver sexy profile too, in case a guest or Christmas dinner member asks to see it...   8)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:31 PM

Darn, does that make you knife a non-mini Griptilian then?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 12:29:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)
Yep.. that there be a griptilian

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 12:42:50 PM

Now I want one too... light blue, to match the mini

If you like that knife you probably will like the smaller Mini Griptilian too. Unless you have large hands.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 01:14:50 PM

If you like that knife you probably will like the smaller Mini Griptilian too. Unless you have large hands.
I also want light blue.. to match my light blue cadet :) I would not describe my hands as big...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 01:24:36 PM

I also want light blue.. to match my light blue cadet :) I would not describe my hands as big...
I didn't think so. Your hands I mean.

Yeah, the light blue is pretty, I like it very much.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 01:25:58 PM
From Spain to Alaska, you peoples have nice toys.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 06:13:31 PM
I would say this Early 1940's Camillus Jack knife. It has become my favorite slip joint and I got it for a great price. It is in amazing condition for it's age. I took a chance on it because I didn't know a lot about old slipjoints when I bought it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:10 PM
From Spain to Alaska, you peoples have nice toys.

possible thanks to some overseas Folks!  :ahhh
Merry Christmas PN!   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 11:57:26 PM
Probably the top additions of 2016, all Wengers.

Old with imitation tortoise shell handles.
Old with aluminum handles.
Jorge Hysec turquoise.
Tiffany Streamerica.

IMG_8262.JPG
* IMG_8262.JPG (Filesize: 101.43 KB)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:00:25 AM by ColoSwiss »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30