Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best urban edc SAK

Poll

What makes a better urban EDC SAK?

Cybertool 34
Cybertool 41
Swisschamp
Ranger
Evogrip 18 (delemont)

00 Offline matty78943

Best urban edc SAK
on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:34 PM
As the title implies, what makes the best urban edc swiss army knife out of the options avalible?

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: Best urban edc SAK
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:17 PM
From those options I choose the CT34 in heartbeat!  :cheers:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
"Best" is so subjective, that we each must decide that for ourselves.   :salute:

Among the options, Ranger or Evo 18 for me.

I rotate through several SAKs, but the sweet spot for me is the Explorer Plus.  Its just a little thick in the pocket at 4x layers, but gives me (almost) everything I "need" for righteous daily living.  I do wish it had the mini phillips that you find on the Manager.  I use that mini phillips constantly, so there is often a Manager in my pocket with whatever else I happen to carry that day.  A Compact + Manager is also a fine pairing.

I've gone half nuts trying to figure this stuff out, so now I just carry what I carry.

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:10:21 PM
i am considering a cybertool 41 for the bit driver over the fish descaler/magnifying glass  (which is a major pro for me)

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:12:21 PM
I think that one is discontinued, but they are still floating around out there.

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 09:12:31 PM
The ideal knife from those options is  of course very subject to what you do on the average day :)

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 09:16:02 PM
i have a way of getting my mitts on a cybertool 41 and i do find myself needing various screwdrivers that my beloved huntsman does not have

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 09:20:29 PM
Maybe consider the Explorer Plus, good pocket size and loaded with functionality.  :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 09:21:38 PM
I'd go with the Ranger. But to be honest, I don't have much urban experience.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 09:27:58 PM
From your options CT34.  I carried one for a long time.  However the bits arent all that useful to me, and the only thing it had was the long reach with that driver.  Now if I had to choose a stock model to carry, deluxe tinker for sure.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 09:30:33 PM
That one right there! That's the best hands down!
IMG_20160225_083855.jpg
* IMG_20160225_083855.jpg (Filesize: 210.06 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
I figure woodsaw is fairly useless when everything is made out of concrete and plastic, and if you're on bikes or dealing with automobiles and electronic gadgets, drivers and pliers are more handy. CT34 is a little big. Still...if it was a slightly older ranger with the version 3 metal file, that kinda can work as a nail file, and if you're in town maybe you want your nails to look groomed...so an older Ranger could work as well.

+B Yeoman is probably the best for urban unless you're dealing with a lot of gadgets and computers.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:25 PM
CT41 for the win! Woulda chosen SC but the '41 is more urban.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 10:06:40 PM
I figure woodsaw is fairly useless when everything is made out of concrete and plastic, and if you're on bikes or dealing with automobiles and electronic gadgets, drivers and pliers are more handy. CT34 is a little big. Still...if it was a slightly older ranger with the version 3 metal file, that kinda can work as a nail file, and if you're in town maybe you want your nails to look groomed...so an older Ranger could work as well.

+B Yeoman is probably the best for urban unless you're dealing with a lot of gadgets and computers.

The saw works pretty good on plastic. I use mine on PVC pipe all the time.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 10:14:16 PM
From your options CT34.  I carried one for a long time.  However the bits arent all that useful to me, and the only thing it had was the long reach with that driver.  Now if I had to choose a stock model to carry, deluxe tinker for sure.

I agree on the bits. I just ordered the other 4 bits (from the XAVT or whatever) to get more use out of it.

I wish they had made more hex bits instead of all those torx.
-JJL

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 10:17:20 PM

I agree on the bits. I just ordered the other 4 bits (from the XAVT or whatever) to get more use out of it.

For sure.  The only bit I ever used was the dual phillips one.  And of that mostly the tiny phillips.  For the widest SAK layer possible that just didnt feel worth it to me.  Thats why that long phillips on the 111mmm knives is so appealing to me.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

00 Offline FA Tre

Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 10:51:39 PM
I'm not seeing any listed options, but would recommend a Compact, Pioneer/Pioneer X or Explorer type pattern.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 11:14:04 PM
I'd go with the Evo 18, since its the smallest.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 11:31:57 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what defines "urban edc"? I mean most common tasks accomplished by any multitool are would seem to be universal regardless of urban or rural situations. I live in a fairly rural area and commute to the city for work. I can carry the same multitool in both situations. Seems to me my tasks are the same: slice/cut , trim(scissors), tighten/loosen.
Maybe im overthinking it...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 11:38:13 PM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what defines "urban edc"? I mean most common tasks accomplished by any multitool are would seem to be universal regardless of urban or rural situations. I live in a fairly rural area and commute to the city for work. I can carry the same multitool in both situations. Seems to me my tasks are the same: slice/cut , trim(scissors), tighten/loosen.

For me probably the wood saw is about the only difference. 

00 Offline FA Tre

Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 11:58:36 PM

This

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #21 on: December 24, 2016, 12:22:07 AM

Well that was my thought. I only use a saw when camping/hiking/kayaking for the most part.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 01:47:34 AM
Screwdrivers, Phillips, scissors are a must, at least for me... Maybe pliers

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 03:59:48 AM
The Yeoman's tool configuration is ideal in my case... gotta have phillips and scissors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 04:23:58 AM

For sure.  The only bit I ever used was the dual phillips one.  And of that mostly the tiny phillips.  For the widest SAK layer possible that just didnt feel worth it to me.  Thats why that long phillips on the 111mmm knives is so appealing to me.

I toyed around with putting the 111mm fine phillips on a 91mm, same layer as the regular IL phillips, adding a spacer is no big deal, but when open, it protruded from the SAK at a weird angle. I think I tried it on an openers or blades spring (can't remember) and it kinda worked better...this was all with unpeened pins of course, just for testing.

You'd be the master of knowing how to make that work (plus you'd put titanium scales on it!)

I just moved on and use a 58mm, CT34 or 111mm w/scissors when I need that size phillips, which is quite often.

But I'd rather have fine phillips than mag glass or LED. Yeoman with drivers as middle layer, big and little phillips....that would be mighty nice.
-JJL

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 04:28:19 AM
The only factory 91mm SAKs with both pliers and IL phillips (not including CT driver phillips) are SwissChamp, the huge size Champs, and I think maybe one of the Smokey Mountain Knife Works ones right?

Surprised there was never a Deluxe Explorer 5 layer SAK.
-JJL

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 06:55:11 AM
I dont see an Executive or Manager on the list  :pok:

:D

It's hard to say whats best from the list.  I guess if I were to have to choose then I'd go with.................  I do not know. 

Plus scales would be a must.  Seems an urban jungle requires pen from time to time.  Scissors also seems to be required more than say a saw. 

Well good luck in your choice.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 11:08:46 AM
i am thinking of a cybertool 41 as i can see a use for all the tools on it as i do want the saws+file as i do often go on walks in the countryside but live in a urban enviroment

Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 11:23:38 AM
i am thinking of a cybertool 41 as i can see a use for all the tools on it as i do want the saws+file as i do often go on walks in the countryside but live in a urban enviroment

:like:

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 11:28:53 AM
oh and i forgot to mention the fact that i play the bass guitar and i think the pliers, bit driver and various bits will come in handy as often things need adjusting or changing

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%