Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best urban edc SAK

Poll

What makes a better urban EDC SAK?

Cybertool 34
Cybertool 41
Swisschamp
Ranger
Evogrip 18 (delemont)

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Best urban edc SAK
Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:25 AM
Sounds like the SwissChamp XLT would be perfect.  :ahhh

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 11:48:29 AM
Sounds like the SwissChamp XLT would be perfect.  :ahhh

abit out of my price range!

the swisschamp and cybertool 41 are the limits to what i have to spend

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 11:57:18 AM
Of the list I voted for the Ranger but I'm inclined to go with either the Explorer, Climber or the Super Tinker all with plus scales.
Barry

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 12:02:30 PM
Of the list I voted for the Ranger but I'm inclined to go with either the Explorer, Climber or the Super Tinker all with plus scales.
I'd go Explorer then Ranger ...  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

it Offline danilo

Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 12:10:43 PM
if you think you'd use pliers, maybe consider the swisstools (normal or spirit) they have almost everything + quite strong pliers.

I know I love my swisstool

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 12:11:08 PM
Compact  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 02:14:05 PM
Where's the "other" option?
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:16 PM
Explorer or Suoer/Deluxe Tinker are largest I would go for EDC

For ED,  Yeoman even better
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 02:33:31 PM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

fi Offline Gath

Reply #38 on: December 24, 2016, 03:26:17 PM
I finally got my holy grail of urban EDC of swisschamp plus the full bit case with the wrench, my father does heavier duty stuff so he gets the swisstool rs from the plus package this Christmas.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 04:11:53 PM
Amici,
I'd have to go with the 18, since not only does it address most if not all any of the tasks or chores you may run into, but its biggest plus is that it is just so sheeple friendly, with it's harmless colors as well as being pocket able with or without a clip to cause any a stir..

You can whip it out anywhere in public, and not even the most effeminate of male hipsters would caterwaul about it's mere presence, especially in a SJW and hipster utopia like a Starbucks or even a Whole Foods in NYC!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 08:27:53 PM
Personally, the Explorer is the best EDC (Urban) for me.  It doesn't have too many layers but also has a tool set I use. I don't pocket carry it, I use a suspension clip with is great!

A big plus is that the Leatherman Removable Bit Driver will fit on the inline philips so I can use 1/4 bits of various types/sizes.
OldExplorer_Sapphire.jpg
* OldExplorer_Sapphire.jpg (Filesize: 306.38 KB)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:31:53 PM by sir_mike »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 24, 2016, 09:17:54 PM
As a guy who lives in the suburbs and works in the city ( unfortunately, as I love country and hate city, but that's life...) I never edc more than 3 layers, so I would choose none of the above. My chosen one is almost always a small or regular tinker, sometimes supertinker os evo s16. I also always carry my Sak's loose in my pocket, don't like pouches or clip's. I also carry a small classic in my small pocket too.
As for screwdrivers I carry some hex bits of several types and mesures and use them with the bottle opener if needed.
I also have an office job that don't really require the use of tools professionally. But I'm a tinker by nature so... :D
For other serious stuff that require tools, I always use proper ones, I have more dedicated ones then I can remember ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:05:36 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Offline Mattexian

Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 04:27:43 AM
From those listed on the poll, I'd pick the Ranger, as it's closest to my Space Shuttle Master Craftsman.

As others have mentioned, that's a bit big for normal pocket carry, I prefer one that's not more than three layers.  As far as tool selection, scissors would be at the top of the list, followed in no particular order by a regular blade, can and bottle openers (maybe the combo tool), Phillips and regular screwdrivers.  I think I just described the Yeoman and Super Tinker as prime candidates, tho the Rambler squeeks by, and the Climber and Compact would be passable. (Lacking the Phillips isn't a deal-breaker,  just depends on your aptitude toward tinkering.)

The pen in the plus scales isn't crucial to me, as I see it as an emergency item, for when all your other pens have dried out or been forgotten,  and you can't find one to borrow from another person, but you *need* to write something down NOW.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 25, 2016, 10:30:02 AM
Far from the selection here, my EDC in the city is my 58mm Manager and a 93mm Solo.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #44 on: December 25, 2016, 12:21:31 PM
for me, weight/number of layers is not a problem as my huntsman seems a bit light and small!   :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 25, 2016, 03:32:08 PM
I think that one is discontinued, but they are still floating around out there.

i have a way of getting my mitts on a cybertool 41 and i do find myself needing various screwdrivers that my beloved huntsman does not have
It's still available here from online shops...

fi Offline Padre

Reply #46 on: December 25, 2016, 03:50:12 PM
No competition for me here, CT34 is the best.

Urban edc...

Its the only one I would even consider to carry from these.
Then maybe EvoGrip18.

edc has to be light and small.
CT34 is the smallest.

urban doesn't need fish scalers, saws or such.
That ticks the others out.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #47 on: January 06, 2017, 01:25:13 PM
I think that one is discontinued, but they are still floating around out there.

i have a way of getting my mitts on a cybertool 41 and i do find myself needing various screwdrivers that my beloved huntsman does not have
It's still available here from online shops...

The CT41 is still available for sale on Victorinox UK's own online shop: https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/CyberTool-L/p/1.7775.T

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #48 on: January 06, 2017, 04:05:46 PM
The CT41 is still available for sale on Victorinox UK's own online shop: https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/CyberTool-L/p/1.7775.T

:o Only £100, I'm not surprised they still have stock!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #49 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:39 PM
The CT41 is still available for sale on Victorinox UK's own online shop: https://www.victorinox.co...es/CyberTool-L/p/1.7775.T

Okay, here then, £74.99: http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-41/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 06, 2017, 04:50:37 PM
Careful.... that's the store that let down our good friend coloswiss across the pond, and I had to get involved to get it resolved for him. Very sloppy company - not malicious, but you need to keep on top of the tracking and kick them up the arse if things start going awry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #51 on: January 06, 2017, 04:54:12 PM
Careful.... that's the store that let down our good friend coloswiss across the pond, and I had to get involved to get it resolved for him. Very sloppy company - not malicious, but you need to keep on top of the tracking and kick them up the arse if things start going awry
You could be the MTO Customer Services Ambassadorial Liason between us and them, after your sterling work for C-Swizzle, Fiddy. What do you say?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #52 on: January 06, 2017, 04:57:26 PM

I actually found them okay to deal with - I ordered a CT29 from them not long ago and had no problems, arrived quickly, good communication with them etc., but I may have just been lucky

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 06, 2017, 05:13:24 PM
You could be the MTO Customer Services Ambassadorial Liason between us and them, after your sterling work for C-Swizzle, Fiddy. What do you say?

No thanks  :D I'd had enough of them just trying to fix that one issue  ;)

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #54 on: January 06, 2017, 05:51:23 PM
The CT41 is still available for sale on Victorinox UK's own online shop: https://www.victorinox.co...es/CyberTool-L/p/1.7775.T

Okay, here then, £74.99: http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/CyberTool-41/

The £45 I paid for mine back in the day seems like a bargain now... that much for an SAK seemed extravagant at the time!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: January 06, 2017, 06:08:05 PM
€100 online, with free shipping from a national warehouse... Next day delivery.

When 2017 is half over and I haven't found one through my TSA bidding contacts, I'm getting one from there.
:tu:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: January 06, 2017, 06:44:46 PM
I had one briefly but Hercules seems to cover all bases and it wasn't too bad in the pocket carry dept.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
I pick the Yeoman Mechanic or Deluxe Tinker. Both were great for urban EDC.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04:23 AM
This thread really got me thinking about how useful SAK's are in general and getting the most of your SAK in an urban environment. For me this usually includes the following tools:  Scissors, Blade, Screwdrivers, Pen, Nail File, Bottle/Can/Wine Opener (with the corkscrew housing my mini screwdriver for my glasses).  As many people report, SAK's are pretty socially acceptable and usually worth a laugh or can be a conversation starter.  They are of great quality that can last a lifetime, and have a certain charm about them.  I've always enjoyed SAK's but this past year I caught the Swiss Army fever in a major way and started buying them all the time.  I bought a few new Vic's then started the long dark road of eBay addiction and started getting a variety of models, even a couple Wengers.   I end up giving most of these away, at least the duplicates but I've found that I'm always trying to find a new person (excuse) to buy a knife for and if it just so happens that knife comes with a couple more I can keep for my collection.... like the man says, that'll be fine.

Excuse my rambling, just want to provide some context for my choice(s) of EDC.  Maybe it will help some poor soul lost in the depths of EDC indecision. 

Usually, I EDC according to my wardrobe.  I like to have a 84-91mm in the front pocket and a 58mm on the key chain.  If I'm wearing slacks, shorts, or tighter fitting pants I'll carry a 74mm, I also like to keep a 74mm in my jackets/sport coats.  I also keep two sets of keys to choose from each day and rotate out the SAK's on my key rings to keep things spicy.  I understand this may seem excessive to some but I just like to carry my knives.

So, here's my recommendation for Urban EDC depending on your duds:

Coat/Loose Jeans/Loose fitting pants - Climber  OR  Compact...  depends if I think I'll need to do much screwing that day.   :P

Regular Jeans/Pants - Compact OR Spartan... If it's the Spartan I am sure to carry a Classic Signature on the key ring.

Slacks/Tighter fitting pants - Waiter OR Executive.... If I carry the Waiter I am sure to have a Rambler Signature on the key ring to compensate for my significant loss in tools.

If you have similar EDC needs and you have everything in this pic you should be all set.

WP_20170107_20_27_19_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170107_20_27_19_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 138.53 KB)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:17:37 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
Polls sometimes remind me that I seldom like multiple choice mainly because my choice isn't listed.

The Explorer and some imagination will always be my first choice for urban EDC!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%