Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New forum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New forum
on: September 04, 2006, 04:55:37 PM
I just added this forum to expand our discussion topics.  I figured it goes without saying that many multitool enthusiasts are also gadget freaks, so this seemed like a logical choice!
Let me start off by listing some of my favorite gadgets.  I carry a Sanyo 7300 ruggedized cell phone, a Zayo Razor Pocket PC, a Palm Tungsten E and one of two digital cameras.  One is a Kodak 6300 and the other is a cheap one I got off eBay, but is responsable for many of the pictures you see on this site.  It also has a sweet video mode, and for $15 I really couldn't go wrong!
I run two desktops, an AMD 3500+ with a gig of RAM, LG DVD burner and an ATI 256mb video card, and an AMD 2100+ also with a gig, Sony DVD burner and an ATI All in Wonder video capture card.  I prefer the nVidia video cards, but the ATI's were gifts and I don't have another video capture card, so this is how I roll.
For watches, I like the Swiss Army watches, and I also have a Seiko Orange Monster that I really like, but find it a little big so it might find itself on it's way to a new owner eventually.
Flashlights are a recent fascination with me.  I used to swear by the Mag Lites and not waste money on anything else.  Until I got an Inova X5.  Now I have LED lights everywhere, and have converted many of my Mags to LED lights.  I am amazingly impressed with the new Victorinox lineup of LED lights though:
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35
Tough as a Mag, bright as the sun.  What more could you want from a light?  However, the ligts I usually carry are either a Streamlight Twin Task or a Surefire 3P because they are small enough that you don't even know you have them!
Oh, and I forgot my GPS.  I traded a SAK for it with another SOSAK member and I love it.  It's isn't a fancy kind with colors or maps, or a canned woman's voice saying "Turn left now" but it works.  It's a Magellen 300 and it does what a GPS should do- it tells you how far you have to go and in what direction.  I thought about getting a newer one, but mine works just fine, so why mess with something that works.  I also like the b&w screen because it means I can run the thing for a week or so without the batteries dying- perfect for a good camping/hiking/canoeing trip!
I'm sure I have more gadgets lying around, but that's what comes to mind right now.  I plan to be on this forum for a while (:P) so if I think of any others I'll be sure to share them!
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Re: New forum
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:47:46 PM
awesome gadgets.What do you think of those Kodak cameras?I hear good things about them
I see you forgot an mp3 player
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:55:18 PM
I have an RCA Lyra mp3 player.  It's got 512mb on board and accepts SD cards.  Everything I have takes SD cards.  I have tried my darndest to stick to one type of card and so far I've managed it ok.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:51:10 AM
I prefer the nVidia video cards, but the ATI's were gifts and I don't have another video capture card, so this is how I roll.

A Canadian who prefers nVidia over ATI?  That's just not right!

I used to be an nVidia fan.  After years of working on hardware from both companies, I have switched camps to ATI.  ATI writes software drivers that WORK.  You can't have good hardware without well-written drivers. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:56:01 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:27:50 AM
I didn't realize there was a geographical preference order in effect....

I always assumed that one was better than the other in the same way that GM is better than Ford or Coke is better than Pepsi... it isn't really, just some folks make a huge deal out of it.  I always used nVidia cards before and just happened to get my two current ATI cards as a gift, so I am using them.  Mostly, it helps that they are better than the ones I was using, not because of the brand, but because of the specs.
Besides, if you play Unreal Tournament 2004 like I do, you know that they reccomend nVidia....
Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 02:14:54 PM
Ah, I just said that because ATI is a Canadian company.  Well, actually I guess it's American now since AMD bought them.

Yeah, I agree with the Ford/Chevy analogy.  I will buy from whomever seems to be making the best product at the time.  Specs aren't everything--they don't mean squat if the drivers aren't stable.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 10:30:56 PM
Or if it's not on sale...
:P
I didn't know taht ATI used to be a Canadian company.  I just assumed they were all made in magic caves somewhere in Korea or Hong Kong!  I know alot of the components are assembled here- I had a buddy that assembled parts for IBM with a company named Celestica, but the basic bits and pieces are all from the Orient, aren't they?
Def

ca Offline pthycrpg

• Tourist Season in the Alps
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 07:31:58 AM
http://www.geocaching.com/ 
Do not take your Magellan and go to this site. We will never see you again.  If you do,you could always add  a small S.A.K. or Multi tool and add  it to the "Cache". Def a great start. >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:12 AM
I love geocaching.  I just wish I had more time to do it....

About all my dear old Magellan does nowadays is amuse me on long car rides (which I do three times a week at work) by letting me see how much farther I have to go and making sure my truck speedometer is accurate.  So far, yes, it is, which given the mileage on that truck, well it's amazing anything is accurate!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:40 AM
By the way Rick- glad to see you here too!
Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 10:19:47 PM
they have electricity in canada now?
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:13:56 PM
I had a buddy that assembled parts for IBM with a company named Celestica, but the basic bits and pieces are all from the Orient, aren't they?
Def

Sure, the processor and chip manufacturing facilities are mostly in the Orient.  ATI's are in Taiwan, I believe.  I've pretty much given up on trying to buy products that are entirely made and assembled in North America.  They are few and far between these days (or nonexistant), and the product prices from those companies are rarely competitive in the marketplace.

Fall is going to be upon us soon.  My favorite season for Geocaching!  It's so much easier to use my Garmin eTrex Legend when the leaves are no longer on the trees.  I bought my GPS for mapping 4wd trails that friends and I discover, but I've found many other great uses for it.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD