Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Buck Vantage Tap Hammer

us Offline tommywp

Buck Vantage Tap Hammer
on: December 28, 2016, 03:45:14 PM
I'll be the first to admit that they are of limited value, but I like my carry combos to include a little tap hammer...a hard surface capable of closing a paint can, etc. I find it handy when I'm working around the house.

When I know I'm in for a day of chores, I carry a MUT with SwissCard scissors and small screwdriver mod (there's an old post). When I'm going to be out and about, it's a 58mm manager and Skeletool with a little tap hammer wedged in the caribeaner (also an old post).  I've been looking for an in between carry, more pocketable then the former, more capable than the later, but figuring out how to get the hammer has been difficult. I tried adding a tap hammer to a Ontario RAT 2 (also an old post), but that ultimately failed. I've  gone back and forth on the Signal, but just can't get past those plastic pieces.

I finally figured out how to add one to a Buck Vantage. I settled on using the Vantage because: 1. the clip attaching to the end of knife is critical for attaching the hammer 2. The 3 1/4ish blade is my preferred size for a dedicated folder and the length/weight of the knife is suitable for using the hammer 3. I don't like to spend more than $50ish on a knife (and it's made in the USA which is nice)

I started by 3D printing a small plastic piece (the metal material couldn't handle the small dimensions). I found longer screws to hold the plastic and clip in place. The screws holes in the Vantage go all the way through the frame of the knife, so I didn't have to worry about the replacement screws being too long. Tried hammering with the plastic, but it was too soft and would get nicked every time it was used.

Found a push cap that was about the same size as the plastic piece. Clipped and filed the rim off the push cap. Slowly filed down the plastic piece, and eventually got to the point where I was able to push the push cap on to it (if I had originally planned on using the push cap, I could have probably printed the plastic to the correct size). 

It seems to be a pretty good fit, and I can always add some sort of adhesive if it starts to slip off.  Gave it a couple of test whacks and seems to work great!
IMG_3135.JPG
* IMG_3135.JPG (Filesize: 120.1 KB)
IMG_3140.JPG
* IMG_3140.JPG (Filesize: 136.07 KB)
IMG_3141.JPG
* IMG_3141.JPG (Filesize: 111.22 KB)
IMG_3139.JPG
* IMG_3139.JPG (Filesize: 122.84 KB)

us Offline tommywp

Re: Buck Vantage Tap Hammer
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 04:00:58 PM
...And here's the medium duty carry. It covers a lot of bases. Added a SOG saw to the PST2 (an old post). May try to replace the medium flat head with an awl one day, but for now the tiny flat head and can opener are filing the role.

Thought about swapping the PST out for a  knifless rebar, but decided the locking tools and better handles weren't worth the extra thickness and money. Have my eyes on the Spirit with the serrated butterknife blade as an alternative to the PST, but the lack of a lanyard attachment has made me hesitant (I've seen the modded suspension hook that others have posted, and like it a lot, but havent committed yet).

But I find the PST on a suspension clip to be the perfect size for pocket carry so I may leave good enough alone. PST in the front pocket, Buck clipped inside my belt.  A lot of functionality for a light, discrete combo.
IMG_3137.JPG
* IMG_3137.JPG (Filesize: 151.28 KB)
IMG_3138.JPG
* IMG_3138.JPG (Filesize: 184.32 KB)

us Offline irona

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 04:01:39 PM
Looks great!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:13:51 PM
Awesome :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:54:01 AM
Nice one Tommy :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline tommywp

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:05:17 PM
The push cap hammer wasn't working out...the shape/size made it hard give a good whack and would leave little dings when you hit stuff.

Ordered up some 3D printed metal caps from Shapeways (the same file/design I used for the Skeletool https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57172.msg1028304.html#msg1028304); shaped the black rubber bunge strap (same as Skeletool) to come close to the curve of the Bucks pommel, attached the rubber with the clip's screws and VHB tape underneath (just found out about VHB...it's pretty awesome); then used VHB to stick the cap to the rubber.

Seems pretty solid but still need to use it a bit.
IMG_3961.JPG
* IMG_3961.JPG (Filesize: 166.27 KB)
IMG_3963.JPG
* IMG_3963.JPG (Filesize: 161.69 KB)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:11:10 PM by tommywp »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 03:08:38 PM
...and here's the new carry combo.

IMG_3964.JPG
* IMG_3964.JPG (Filesize: 217.64 KB)

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:04:53 PM
 :tu:  that looks better :o
and I bet it works better too.

Even though you can use the end of any MT or large folding knife to smack against things, I prefer to use a tap hammer when I can.  Even if you are not driving nails into something. 
About once a week I buy a bag of ice from a gas station to fill the ice chest I keep in my car.  I love how quick, simple, and effective it is to pull out my Leatherman Signal, strike the ice bag 4 or 5 times with the hammer to break up the ice, then deploy the blade, make a clean cut and then dump all the ice neatly into the cooler.  Can I rip open the bag with my fingers, yes.  Can I break up the ice by dropping the bag onto the ground and hoping it doesn't get the ice dirty, yes.  Do I need the blade or the hammer, no.  But it is a lot easier and more enjoyable. 

From the looks of your Buck, I would say that it would work very well for that kind of task.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:23 PM
Very nice  :tu: I've always liked the look of the Vantage, despite not being a fan of locking blades. If they ever brought out a slippie version, I would be very tempted

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD