Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC tough choices

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
on: December 29, 2016, 01:29:58 PM
Im thinking of changing up my most trusted EDC setup. I carry my Skeletool CX and a Style CS pretty much everyday. I've come to rely on the features that they have throughout my everyday life.

With my recent addition of a Pioneer X and less recent Gerber Dime, I'm thinking of giving them a shot as pocket carry kings.

I'll give my breakdown of the tools and what/ why I use it. And compare to the new load out. Maybe talking it out will help me decide.
Would love to hear y'alls feedback as well as your stories of similar tough choices.
( I'm gonna reserve next 2 posts for pics and discussion. )

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:30:13 PM
First up the Leatherman load out

The most used item is gonna be the scissors followed closely by the 2 blades. I use one blade for work (skeletool) and one for food prep (CS). Next would be pliers/ drivers I'd say equally. The Phillips's driver is the most used for me.
Tweezers do see some use but not nearly everyday or even week.
The bottle openers, well I rarely drink anymore so they haven't been used.
The caribiner on the CS gets used a lot to quickly clip to my keys when pocket carry isn't practical. Where as the pocket clip on the Skeletool is used every time it's carried.
The Style's file is used nearly every day (can stand to have my nail catch stuff ).

Both weigh in at 6.4oz.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:55:56 PM by 4everYoung »

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:30:26 PM

As for the potential new EDC I have Pioneer X and a Gerber Dime.
Starting with the blades... the SAKs blade would likely be my clean blade and the Dime primarily for work (unless work requires larger blade). The scissors on the SAK would be the main set but having a back up in the Dime is a good thing.  Pliers obviously have to be Dime's responsibility though they are smaller that the Skeletool.  The screwdrivers are kinda tricky for me. I have used the Dime's short driver's a couple times. They aren't ideal. I haven't used the Pioneer's yet but they seem fairly larger that's the tasks I normally require. Plus no dedicated Phillips.
Tweezers of n the Dime work just fine. However I'm not impressed with the nail file. .
Additionally I do like the awl on the SAK and the can opener. Though i don't think they will be used in many edc tasks. Both have very acceptable bottle openers if ever required.
In the pic you can see that both have "s biners" on them. The one on the SAK will be replaced with a pocket dangler when it arrives. But the Dime stays and just as with the CS it winds up on my keys sometimes.

So what y'all's thoughts? At first thought I'm apprehensive to give up my trusted EDC. Kinda feel like I may be giving up something. Especially the OHO blade on the Skeletool.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:27:22 PM by 4everYoung »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: EDC tough choices
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:01:45 PM
If OHO and nice drivers are a need, do not put the Skeletool away.
Beware of the Dime pliers, I've broken 2 of them. I'd trust a Squirt much more, and the Skeletool obviously best. I broke the Dimes with minimal force and effort.
The Dime's Phillips are horrendous, the only one truly nice is the flathead, short but very precise and nice IMO.
The SAKs scissors are nice, but not as capable as a Micra. Can't comment on the Style but I guess those are more capable too.

I wouldn't change the setup, really, but that' up to you.
I am carrying the Skele for the first month, and liking it  a lot thus far. in case it inspires you, something like the thing below would be my setup for your needs:

OHO bladed MT + SAK or mini MT / OHO Folder + MT + SAK

Examples I have carried these two months would be:

MP700 + Waiter / MP800 + Bantam / Skele + Micra + Classic / Skele + Squirt S4 / Skele + Bantam + Dime

and for the second option, introducing a OHO Folder

Spydero + Micra + Dime / Cold STeel + Squirt PS4 + Squirt S4 / Spyderco + Wenger S57 / Spyderco + Waiter + Micra / Cold Steel + Spirit

Good luck!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:25:24 PM
I would keep the Skeletool for the pliers and drivers, then for variety rotate the Style & Pioneer X.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:29:36 PM
I would keep the Skeletool for the pliers and drivers, then for variety rotate the Style & Pioneer X.
I have thought about this. But it would require possibly an keychain tool with a nail file. Maybe classic or clip the CS on there those days.

So far 2 Votes for keeping the Skeletool. Keep the feedback coming please.

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:32:02 PM
If OHO and nice drivers are a need, do not put the Skeletool away.
Beware of the Dime pliers, I've broken 2 of them. I'd trust a Squirt much more, and the Skeletool obviously best. I broke the Dimes with minimal force and effort.
The Dime's Phillips are horrendous, the only one truly nice is the flathead, short but very precise and nice IMO.
The SAKs scissors are nice, but not as capable as a Micra. Can't comment on the Style but I guess those are more capable too.

(Image removed from quote.)
I wouldn't change the setup, really, but that' up to you.
I am carrying the Skele for the first month, and liking it  a lot thus far. in case it inspires you, something like the thing below would be my setup for your needs:

OHO bladed MT + SAK or mini MT / OHO Folder + MT + SAK

Examples I have carried these two months would be:

MP700 + Waiter / MP800 + Bantam / Skele + Micra + Classic / Skele + Squirt S4 / Skele + Bantam + Dime

and for the second option, introducing a OHO Folder

Spydero + Micra + Dime / Cold STeel + Squirt PS4 + Squirt S4 / Spyderco + Wenger S57 / Spyderco + Waiter + Micra / Cold Steel + Spirit

Good luck!

Today I left the skeletool behind and carried the SAK/Dime combo. But I couldn't leave the house without a OHO blade so I grabbed my Kershaw BOA.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:46:45 PM
If it helps, you're not alone trying to figure this one out :cheers:  The Pioneer X definitely interrupted what I used to carry, and I couldn't find the right pairing to complete my EDC. 

The differences for me are that I don't need a dedicated work blade (I'm a software guy), but the rest sounds very familiar :)  My solution was to make a custom LM Squirt using the old E4/S4/P4 styles and combining the best components for what I wanted.  That thread is here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69908.msg1399375.html#msg1399375

In your situation though, I think it would be too much to change from the one handed Skele blade to the Dime (or even my Squirt) as your work blade.  And you're not thrilled about the lack of dedicated drivers in the Px/Dime combo, so I think the Skele might need to stay.  Without any further purchases, I'd think keep your old combo for work, and carry the Px/Dime combo on the weekends maybe?

Or...you could buy more stuff  ;)  You could carry the Skele and Pioneer X, with a Classic on your keys for nail file/tweezer duty.  You could stick with the Px/Dime combo but add a one-handed folder.  Or you could go with Skeletool and Vic Compact?  Or Pioneer X and Wave?  I'll stop now before this gets out of hand :)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:00:00 PM
Also, I don't know if you've seen this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7543.0/topicseen.html

There are a lot of combo ideas in there that might give some inspiration  :tu:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 05:00:35 PM
I have thought about this. But it would require possibly an keychain tool with a nail file. Maybe classic or clip the CS on there those days.

So far 2 Votes for keeping the Skeletool. Keep the feedback coming please.

My new vote.
Skeletool, Pioneer X & classic.
and or
Skeletool, Style.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 05:07:10 PM
Same here, would say Skeletool + Pioneer X

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:59:53 PM
The Skeletool + style CS combo works better.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:20:45 PM
Hindsight I should have made this a poll .
So far it's looking like most are saying stick with the Skeletool as main and use Pioneer X as a compliment or just stick with my original combo. I may try the Skeletool/PX combo tomorrow.

I'm still open to ideas. Keep me coming.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 07:24:53 PM
If you want to try something new then you should.
We all do that.   :climber:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 07:35:28 PM
Ps the best MT to team up with Skeletool is Micra, IMO. 

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 12:24:48 PM
Ps the best MT to team up with Skeletool is Micra, IMO.

+1
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 04:04:55 PM
Skeley & Pioneer + 1
Nothing wrong with pioneer but if dime is the only pliers tool u carry and if you do use pliers regularly, it is a problem.
I used to have a dime and having a dime travel. I throw the dime away as it is a wholly crap. Sloppy scissors, weak pliers, useless file... The whole thing is just useless. The dime travel is no better but i keep it as it is bladeless. It will be useful for some no knife situation. If you want keychain pliers tool which serves more than the style cs, get a micra. If u want a keychain tool with good pliers, get a Squirt. Dime is OK for a second backup but it is not something that you can reply on. If the pioneer is too big and you want  something smaller to accompany your skeley. Consider a minichamp. But skeley and pioneer is nice and perfect!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 07:30:34 PM
Try any variation of those you want :cheers: It isn't set in stone that you have to keep it that once you start :tu: If I were you I would see what the day may hold and go from there with what you carry :cheers: You may want to keep your main MT as the Skeletool as you are use to that but hey try something different it may show you that you can do without the bigger set of pliers of it may show you that you really need them :cheers: It is part of the fun sometimes trying different combos though :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 07:31:02 PM
Whatever you do try let us know and take more pics though :D :like: :like:

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 07:48:43 PM
If you want keychain pliers tool which serves more than the style cs, get a micra.
My bad, wrong typing. I meant, if you need a key chain too which serves better than the style cs,  get a micra.

If you really do use scissors, micra is a very good pair with skeletool. Or you can get a classic/rambler/minichamp :climber: if you are fine with small scissors. :multi:

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 08:06:52 PM
If you want keychain pliers tool which serves more than the style cs, get a micra.
My bad, wrong typing. I meant, if you need a key chain too which serves better than the style cs,  get a micra.

If you really do use scissors, micra is a very good pair with skeletool. Or you can get a classic/rambler/minichamp :climber: if you are fine with small scissors. :multi:

Maybe I'm missing something here but the Style CS and Micra have the exact same scissors. I don't see where that would make it an upgrade. Micra does have a couple extra screw drivers but to me it wouldn't be worth giving up the outside opening blade on the CS for. That's just my evaluation of it. (As I been over this before purchased the CS  instead of the Micra.)
I do appreciate your input and opinion though

us Offline 4everYoung

EDC tough choices
Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:58 PM
Decided to switch it up today. I'm trying the Skeletool/Pioneer X/ Winchester keychain tool (SAK a like classic)/ Shard.
Will see how this fairs tonight.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:02:23 PM by 4everYoung »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 02:39:32 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here but the Style CS and Micra have the exact same scissors. I don't see where that would make it an upgrade. Micra does have a couple extra screw drivers but to me it wouldn't be worth giving up the outside opening blade on the CS for. That's just my evaluation of it. (As I been over this before purchased the CS  instead of the Micra.)

Maybe it's tradition or maybe I just have a soft spot for the Micra, but I have to say, the Micra is a much better keychain tool than any of the Squirts and Styles.  I'm apparently not the only one who thinks so, as the Micra has been one of Leatherman's top sellers for so long that even they can't kill it off, no matter how many alternative models they create to replace it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 03:45:27 PM
Maybe it's tradition or maybe I just have a soft spot for the Micra, but I have to say, the Micra is a much better keychain tool than any of the Squirts and Styles.  I'm apparently not the only one who thinks so, as the Micra has been one of Leatherman's top sellers for so long that even they can't kill it off, no matter how many alternative models they create to replace it.

Def
:multi:
Agree! Micra is one of the most long lasting models. :tu:
For a model that survived for 20years, it won't be that tough without a reason.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 04:03:11 PM

Def

This is all on point. The Micra rules, and it's the only keychain tool I might like ever so slightly more than the MiniChamp.

I have a Squirt P4 and S4, and while the build quality on both is excellent, they just don't have the versatility of the Micra. I don't have a PS4, but I know what it has and in the end, the scissors on the Micra are just more useful than pliers in the same size category. The Micra is also just a great all-around MT for people who wouldn't otherwise carry a knife or tool. I've given some out as Christmas gifts to folks who fit into that category, and they've been very well received.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 04:29:30 PM
Leatherman really hit that one out of the park.  I wish they could get back to that era rather than keep releasing bracelets.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 12:02:22 AM
I've been carrying the PX and Skeletool combo and it seems pretty solid. I had a wedding and left the Skeletool at home yesterday. I did find myself missing the Skeletool. So for now I think I'm gonna stick with this combo. But I'll report back if that changes

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%