Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help Needed! How Best To??

Offline DECO665

Help Needed! How Best To??
on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:22 PM
Been sitting on this project now for a while. I want to add a bottle opener / cap lifter to a slip joint I own. I've had the blank now for a while and finally got around to stenciling out the rudimentary design.

I'm now stuck on how best to cut this out. I've been thinking of using a belt grinder / sander and maybe a Dremel for the interior. I suppose a band saw would work too but there are a few precision areas and I am afraid my hands are just no steady enough.

The material is 1/8" steel

I know there are plenty of guys out there much more advanced than I. Thoughts??

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:31:09 PM by DECO665 »

us Offline yourbadneighbor

Re: Help Needed! How Best To??
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:30:24 PM
Been sitting on this project now for a while. I want to add a bottle opener / cap lifter to a slip joint I own. I've had the blank now for a while and finally got around to stenciling out the rudimentary design.

I'm now stuck on how best to cut this out. I've been thinking of using a belt grinder / sander and maybe a Dremel for the interior. I suppose a band saw would work too but there are a few precision areas and I am afraid my hands are just no steady enough.

(Image removed from quote.)[/url]Bottle Opener by Deco665, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks!
Your picture does not show for me,  shows link is broken?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:31:04 PM

Bottle Opener by Deco665, on Flickr

Thanks!
Loaded 3 times,  now it shows!

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:40:30 PM

Thanks!
I have not done much fine finish work on attachment pieces like you have there. But a feature you might consider adding would be under the lower part of the hook where the cut goes in you could angle cut grind and file that so the outside edge is sharp like on a Leatherman and you could use that area close to the Joint as a wire stripper should you need it.
Just a thought.

us Offline irona

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 05:43:07 PM
Drill a hole for the part inside the "hook" of the bottle opener (the difficult part to get to), and just use a dremel or grinder for the rest. Cut about 1/16th inch out of your lines (assuming the steel isn't heat treated), and follow it up with files. You might want to look into a set of needle files for this.

us Offline tallowwaters

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 12:41:58 AM
Jeweler's saw.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:12:30 AM
Great idea!   

Honestly, it would be a bit easier in my opinion to just pull that tool out of a junk Scout knife. Especially considering you'll have to temper that tool in addition to the chore of cutting it out, or else it will probably twist or bend easily.

Rough Rider already makes one like you want. 

https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-yellow-composition-stockman-with-screwdriver-and-caplifter

Offline DECO665

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 11:40:15 PM
Thanks for the input!

Here's the progress so far. Did most of it with a dremel cutting disk. Going to finish it up a bit more once I get the correct belt for my grinder.

A little rough but the concept is there.

irona - followed your advice, worked like a charm.

cody - thought of that but may be difficult to retrofit the pivot area to fit my slip joint.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:41:17 PM by DECO665 »

Offline DECO665

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 08:57:31 PM
Made it this far.

BO 3

Had the piece well fit and working well within the slip joint. Moved on to heat treating only to discover that the steel I was using was 304SS and untreatable!!

Anyway, starting over with an old file. Live and lean I guess. Won't make that mistake again!

Will post a new thread with the progress. Thanks again for all the tips!

us Offline irona

Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 09:25:57 PM
Thanks for the input!

Here's the progress so far. Did most of it with a dremel cutting disk. Going to finish it up a bit more once I get the correct belt for my grinder.

A little rough but the concept is there.

irona - followed your advice, worked like a charm.

cody - thought of that but may be difficult to retrofit the pivot area to fit my slip joint.
Glad to see I helped!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:43:20 PM

:tu:

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:49:27 PM
Live and learn is a great attitude toward that and I am glad you are moving forward with it instead of giving up  :salute: Can't wait to see what you do next :tu: :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%