Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ganzo and Sanremu

cody6268 · 165 · 19922

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ganzo and Sanremu
on: December 29, 2016, 10:22:26 PM
Has anyone tried any of the products made by Sanremu or Ganzo?  They look good and appear to have good reviews, but I don't trust those.

I have a few I want to get, and they're all affordable (under $20), but I'd like to hear something here before I try.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ganzo and Sanremu
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:33:49 PM
I have
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53781.msg927846.html#msg927846

Still one of the sharpest knives in that particular steel I had.  I gave it to my friends son as he is growing fond of folders.  Solid knife that I'd definitely consider getting again.  They've got so many models to choose from so I'd probably try another style. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:37:51 PM
Not too keen on their multis,but the knives are damn good for the money. Try a SRM710,you won't regret it.

:think:

Well,you might. You'll start questioning the price of a number of big brand knives!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:37:40 AM
Not too keen on their multis,but the knives are damn good for the money. Try a SRM710,you won't regret it.

:think:

Well,you might. You'll start questioning the price of a number of big brand knives!

I agree with Kirk.
Their knives offer a lot of value for money.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
I've owned 2 Ganzo MTs (LM and Gerber have better value options, and beat those at the price of their cheaper models or used/previously owned flagships) and they are acceptable, come with a nice bit set, but are very basic entry level

I've had 7 ganzo folders, they are very nice for the price, heavy and thick, sturdy but steel is very serviceable, they let you try out new shapes, sizes and lock types and have been growing in popularity, QC and variety. I definitely recommend checking them out. Now I've only got one left, traded, gifted or sold the others. I believe SRM is a better value and even more bang for your back in most of their offering (SRM 6040/SRM 7010 are my favorites and have bought them more than once)

Ganzo basically copies designs, sometimes making heavier.stronger options of famous models and folders, SRM makes slipjoints, legal folders and smaller more refined pieces, both have very nice steel that's easy to sharpen and will stand up to abusive tasks

Just my two cents   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:58:31 PM
[...]Ganzo basically copies designs, sometimes making heavier.stronger options of famous models and folders, SRM makes slipjoints, legal folders and smaller more refined pieces, both have very nice steel that's easy to sharpen and will stand up to abusive tasks[...]
I also think they cut corners on the finishing, rougher edges etc. I find they have a less pleasant feel to it (but my aversion to copies might play into that).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:09:21 AM
Considering the exchange rates I'm disappointed I can only get the Enlan brand of Chinese folders, would love to get some Ganzo and Sanremu which I believe are same or better quality as Enlan.

Out of all my (7 or 8) Enlans only one has a sticky lockbar and another has a rough spot on the pivot. Tried several and they all had the issue, but considering it's a ball lock (U-lock) it's not really an issue.
The lockbar is more of an issue, not sure if it's just my example or a general problem.

I guess that's about what you can expect.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:59:56 AM
I have a SRM 710 and a Ganzo G302B.

I like the SRM 710 quite a lot. It's just a knockoff of a CRKT Sabenza Small, but it's well made and cheap. It's sturdy and came nice and sharp, though the steel type is comparable to the stuff in SAKs. I think it's an excellent folder, and not just excellent at the price.

The G302B actually isn't bad at all, but I second the notion that there are better options for the price. Hard to justify getting a G302B and losing out on a built-in Phillips when you can get a Gerber Suspension that's basically an identical form factor for the same price. I bought it entirely out of curiosity.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:21:59 AM
I hope it's ok to mention Enlan Bee also as they seem to be clustered in with Sanrenmu and Ganzo in most discussions.

I ordered a sanrenmu 7010 (old part number was 710 otherwise the same knife I believe) and an Enlan Bee L01MCT about a month ago.  The Enlan came in today.

I expected the sanrenmu to be close to perfect as they have a good reputation - for the Enlan I was not expecting quite as much.  Before going further these knives were in the area of $15 each shipped (roughly $11 US or so).  They are not expensive.

The enlan exceeded my expectations by a lot.  It is pretty much spotless as far as fit and finish, the blade is centred properly and it opens very smoothly.  It is razor sharp and made short work of arm hair.  It has a tanto shaped blade - never having a knife with this shape I will have to see how it works out.  It has a 8Cr13MoV steel blade.  I have other knives with this steel and have found it easy to sharpen and quite decent.  Haven't used this one yet so I can't comment beyond that.

The blade is engraved "Enlan" and  "LO1MCT" on one side and "8Cr13MoV" on the other - tasteful and not over embellished.

It has an open frame with two standoffs between the liners plus the pivot point.  It is a liner lock and the lockup is excellent - no blade wobble to the side or up and down.  The clip has only one position as seen in the photo below - the clip seems to be about the right tension for holding it in a pocket.  It has a "button" on top of the blade allowing it to be opened one handed left or right.  The rearmost standoff can be used for attaching a para cord loop as long as it is tied snuggly to keep it away from the blade tip when closed.

The scales are some type of plastic I expect.  I'm not totally sold on their appearance but they are well done, solid and very functional.

Improvements that could be made to the knife:
- liners could be lightened - they are not drilled and make the knife a bit heavier than needed. I weighed it at 110 grams.
- different scale material - this is more personal preference than anything.
- other positions for the clip.

It's easy for me to mention "improvements" however this knife is excellent as is and very very good value.

John.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 01:52:28 AM
No problems from my two.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:47 AM
Had a few 510 great knives,the H02 is my favourite UK legal carry these days  :tu:
20161016_123439.jpg
* 20161016_123439.jpg (Filesize: 414.15 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 03:45:27 PM
I've had my share of Chinese folders and most brands have excellent and average models. My favorite brands are SRM, Enlan, HARNDS, Omuda, Ganzo, Navy and Tekut, in that order.

My favorites from each (and that I'd recommend) would be, in the same order as the brands above, the 6040 and 710 (now 7010), EL01B, EL01, EL09, EL06, my favorite from them, the Nyx, most Omudas, Ganzos are the G714, G717, G720, G721 and the Navy K631

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:56:47 AM
ThePeacent - some of those are huge.

I just received a plain shiny new Sanrenmu 7010 today and it is flawless and sharp.  A little bit on the small side and I find it a bit harder to open one handed just because of the size but very nicely made.

John.

Offline fabiob1982

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:23 PM
ThePeacent - some of those are huge.

I just received a plain shiny new Sanrenmu 7010 today and it is flawless and sharp.  A little bit on the small side and I find it a bit harder to open one handed just because of the size but very nicely made.

John.

I have one of these too and I liked it a lot. Very nice build quality for the price. I have big hands and it is hard to open it one-handed, indeed. I have to take the time to find the right way to hold it (the clip helps). But it actually made me interested in other Chinese knives so I ordered a Ganzo and a Firebird to see if I'll have the same luck.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 01:51:56 PM
Can someone photograph a 7010 next to a SAK for size please - I always thought they were quite big  :think:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:06 PM
Can someone photograph a 7010 next to a SAK for size please - I always thought they were quite big  :think:

Actually they are quite tiny... awesome feel in hand - my go-to knives.

Don;t have a direct photo compare around, but here is 85 mm SAK vs Spyderco Dragonfly and here is the same Spyderco Dragonfly vs a Sanrenmu 710

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 02:12:36 PM
Hehe.. I just realised I only still have the Saks and the Sanrenmu out of all the knives in the two photos (oh and the Muela).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 03:06:20 PM
Thanks Corwyn - They are nice and small aren't they!

Oh, and happy Ostara  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 11:59:38 AM
to all Ganzo, SRM and Enlan fans I still recommend trying out the Omuda brand. I've had three of them, all were nice, light, solid and very slicey.
This one's a true bargain!

My toys:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 05:14:32 AM
ThePeacent - who carrys the Omuda brand - I've never heard of them?

I just received the third of three knives ordered over the last couple of months.  The newest one is an axis lock Ganzo F753M. 

They are from left to right - Ganzo F753M, Enlan Bee L01MCT, Sanrenmu 7010 and a 91 mm victorinox huntsman.  The Enlan is a bit longer than the others but still very handy for pocket carry (I don't usually use the clip). 

Showing the blade shapes. 

The Ganzo is supposed to be made with 440C steel.  It is a very nice knife - blade is centred.   It came quite sharp, not as sharp as the Enlan and Sanrenmu knives I received before it but still quite usable.  The axis lock is fairly stiff but still easy to use.  I found it easy to open with the thumb stud (leaving the axis lock as is) and it has got better with a bit of use.  It closes easily when the axis lock is pulled back and the blade allowed to fall.  I like the length of it - it's 101 mm long - just convenient for most uses and yet not too big. It weighs 82 gms. compared to 111gms. for the Enlan, 89gms. for the Sanrenmu and 99 gms. for the Victorinox.

I sharpened the three chinese knives a couple of days ago using my gatco sharpening system and finishing with a leather hone and compound.  All three seemed to have similar steel as far as I could tell and I doubt it's much different than the steel in victorinox knives as far as sharpening goes.  I was able to get all three extremely sharp fairly easily.

Bottom line is that I am very happy with all three knives and will be using them on a regular basis.

John.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 02:58:55 PM
In the past, SPAMCORP and Fasttech carriedOmuda knives, now I do not know.
 it's been a while, and those tend to be sold out fast.

However I recommend tracking'em down. They are extremely nicely made and comparable --if not superior- to the other Chinese brands IMO, in most of their models and lines.

My toys:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 05:56:37 PM
Got a Sanrenmu 763. Very cheap but very sharp, no blade play, easy to deploy and close. Very happy with it!

The 58mm SAK is for scale purposes.

:tu: :cheers:
Sanrenmu 763_01.jpg
* Sanrenmu 763_01.jpg (Filesize: 178.18 KB)
Sanrenmu 763_02.jpg
* Sanrenmu 763_02.jpg (Filesize: 163.95 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 01:49:40 AM
I would have ordered the sanrenmu 763 but understand it is discontinued.  There is a similar one with aluminum scales but I preferred the g10.

John

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:54 PM
One thing I have noticed with the Ganzo is that the clip is far too stiff.  I seldom use clips but this one is so stiff as to be unusable.

The clips on the Enlan bee and sanrenmu are much better.  I will likely remove the one on the ganzo and bend it - perhaps narrow it down also.

John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 01:49:36 PM
One thing I have noticed with the Ganzo is that the clip is far too stiff.  I seldom use clips but this one is so stiff as to be unusable.

The clips on the Enlan bee and sanrenmu are much better.  I will likely remove the one on the ganzo and bend it - perhaps narrow it down also.

John

SRM and Omuda clips are the best IMO

My toys:

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 03:17:14 AM
I have a Ganzo G721, it's an auto flipper. Looks beautiful, heavy duty, good action, but the 440C blade steel isn't the best.

From the same site I bought that I also got a Y-Start JIN02. It has G10 scales, an axis-lock, and a REALLY nice D2 steel blade that really holds an edge for a long time. For less then $20! It's fast become one of my favorite knives, I'd recommend one to anybody.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:30 AM
    I just got a Ganzo 301H multitool. I have been looking for a US dealer that did not want $50.00 plus for it, and found one on Ebay. I paid $30.00 plus shipping, and my first impressions are very positive. I can compare it to the Gerber suspension, but it is longer and so are the tools. Just like the Suspension, all the tools lock, plus it came with a bit set, and sheath that is a lot better than what Gerber gives you. I am pleasantly surprised by it!

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:08 AM
Those are great brands IMO,

I must confes I'm a fan, also Harnds and Enlan are really good,

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:03 PM
Those are great brands IMO,

I must confes I'm a fan, also Harnds and Enlan are really good,

(Image removed from quote.)

HARNS, SRM, OMUDA, Ganzo, Enlan and Shuangrong are all nice and have flagship models. Some of my favs...

My toys:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 01:53:06 PM
Several outdoors supply outlets here have begun featuring Ganzo MTs. I've held them and they seem OK.  But like those #@%!! unboxing "reviews" we learn nothing of overall durability or blade metal. I have a 440C Hunter Pro by Victorinox, and the blade has held up excellently, as has the lockback mechanism and the scale material. 

So does anyone have longterm experience with Ganzo MTs?

I dislike the exposed spring. So many ways to catch those little springs and stretch them out or lose them. Maybe not in round the house use, but in heavier use.

I have a student who is about to enter tank training brigade in an armoured division. They love Surge and Wave. Especially the Surge. Any heavy Ganzo MTs than are truly durable? I am looking for a gift, but the Surge is bad on my budget. Any armoured brigade vets from any serious army know what I mean about the need for durability!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%