Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

As Seen on TV Part 2- The Revenge of the Key Ninja

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
As Seen on TV Part 2- The Revenge of the Key Ninja
on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:38 PM
Following up on the original As Seen On TV thread is the Key Ninja.  Originally I had intended to put it in the same thread, but frankly too much time has passed and I have just now managed to find a bit of use for this tool- or at least enough to warrant giving it a shot.  For those yet to encounter such an amazing, astounding tool that you can't live without, this, ladies and gentlemen, is the Key Ninja:

Are you impressed yet?  No?  Well maybe you need to watch the the official intro:

There.  Now I'll bet you feel pretty stupid for not seeing the amazing and awesome potential of the Key Ninja.  In fact, I should probably not even continue this review, as I am not certain you are worthy of knowing about the Key Ninja now, because you were such an unbeliever.

But, since I have come this far, I might as well share my experience.

I purchased this tool for $30 many months ago and it has sat, more or less unused since then, largely because I really couldn't think of a use for it- after all, this is my keychain:

And these would be the keys I thought I might use it for:

Those are the keys to my house in Halifax.  Yes, there are a lot of them, and I have color coded them with rubber rings so that I know what key goes to what.  Unfortunately, those markers aren't compatible with the Key Ninja, so in order to use them, I would have to take the markers off and not know what key goes to what door.  That seems to defeat the purpose, so the Key Ninja sat and sat and sat. 

Now in Ottawa I have four house keys- one to the external (shared) door, two to the door to my unit and one to the back door.  That seemed to be a bit more in line with the Key Ninja's function, so I decided to dig it out and give it another shot.  In addition to the rubber ringed keys, the Key Ninja also doesn't work for rubber headed keys like my old Jeep key, or remote keys like my new Jeep key.  So, it is limited to all metal keys with no adornment at all.

So what does it do?  Well, it holds all metal keys, has the bottle opener required to make it an actual, bona fied multitool, and an LED flashlight at either end.

It is very easily disassembled, and inside you find several extension screws to accomodate more keys, and plastic washers to act as spacers to fill in blank spots.  Nice touch, because not everyone has an even number of keys.  And, as you'll find out, apparently neither do I.

As I was only putting four keys in it I decided that I only needed the basic screw, without any of the extensions, so I took them out.  The basic screw is actually mounted to the bottle opener half, so there's no problems with losing screws or trying to tighten them and holding both sides etc.  It is actually a nice thought, and I appreciated it.

As the keys that I thought were pretty standard actually seemed a bit oversized, I decided to use the spacers opposite each key to allow them to fold better.  Using three spacers at a time ate them up pretty quickly, but again, I am only putting in four keys, so why not live a little?

Third key in and I only have one washer left.  Oh well, I'll make it work somehow, right?

Wrong.  The last key doesn't fit.  So, let's limit the above description of what fits and what doesn't:

Fits:

All Keys except rubber ringed or headed keys, remote keys, keys above a certain length or with differently sized or shaped holes unless you are willing to drill them out so they fit.

Ok, so I only have three keys that fit it, which I guess is fine because I am out of spacers anyway.  On goes the top, but there's something to note here as well.

The screws on the top need the extension screws to fit all the way through the wider LED portion, which could be upsetting if you'd tried to use most/all of the extensions just to fit all your keys in.

Luckily I didn't.

I may try taking the spacers out, because as you can see, for only three keys, the Key Ninja doesn't really do a lot to make them more compact as it says in the video.

As the brass colored keys have a large opening hole, they do slide around a bit, but that isn't a big deal.  Once you have the right keys that fit into it, the Key Ninja for the most part operates as claimed by the manufacturer/designer/marketer.  Or at least as much as can be determined while playing with it at the breakfast table while waiting for Meggs Benedict.

All in all I am not sold on the Key Ninja, or at least not yet.  The bottle opener doesn't really give the leverage needed to open a bottle as easily as it seems to in the ad, it's not compact, and while it might be nice in some situations to have the additional leverage on the keys, it does present an additional risk of breaking the key off in a sticky lock.

I have it on my keys now, and I'll carry and use it for a while, but I am really quite certain this one will end up as a complete and utter waste of $29.99 and so far I really wouldn't suggest anyone wastes any time or money on this.  Frankly I have to say that I think Kampfer's bolt through his keys would be a much better and more efficient method of achieving pretty well the same results as the Key Ninja.  Maybe he will be nice enough to post a pic of it here since I can't seem to locate one at the moment.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: As Seen on TV Part 2- The Revenge of the Key Ninja
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 07:23:23 PM
It is probably practical if you don't have many keys but no way am I going to pay $30 for that thing :facepalm: I have probably 4 or 5 stes of keys that all have different purposes :ahhh I have one set just for locks that we have at work and a couple for some of our machines on there with it :cheers: I have another set for my truck, 1 for her car and another set for work that has a few different keys that get me through the day :D So the Key Ninja probably isn't for me :think: :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:31:05 PM
  Frankly I have to say that I think Kampfer's bolt through his keys would be a much better and more efficient method of achieving pretty well the same results as the Key Ninja.  Maybe he will be nice enough to post a pic of it here since I can't seem to locate one at the moment.

Def
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53207.0.html
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:18:55 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:48:53 PM
had a similar Gizmo, bought on an impulse
Lasted a week in my EDC, was bulky, stabby, didn't make the set any more compact or comfortable and was not smooth, keys got hung up and were hard to rotate

POS and a waste of money TBH

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 02:24:06 PM
  Frankly I have to say that I think Kampfer's bolt through his keys would be a much better and more efficient method of achieving pretty well the same results as the Key Ninja.  Maybe he will be nice enough to post a pic of it here since I can't seem to locate one at the moment.

Def
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53207.0.html
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Kampfer- I knew I could trust you to have my back!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 02:34:21 PM
had a similar Gizmo, bought on an impulse
Lasted a week in my EDC, was bulky, stabby, didn't make the set any more compact or comfortable and was not smooth, keys got hung up and were hard to rotate

POS and a waste of money TBH

I have that one as well.  I got it as part of the Five Dollar Challenge and my findings were very similar to yours.  I think I had my keys in it for all of two and a half minutes before tking the whole thing apart and putting them back on my keyring.

However, I did go out last night and I do have two observations about the Key Ninja to share.

1- it wasn't as obtrusive as I originally thought.  It didn't seem overly heavy and it didn't interfere with putting my keys in my pocket.

2- The keys were a bit floppy and dangled out of the Key Ninja.  I'll see if I ca adjust or tighten it a bit, but it's so called compact form factor is negated somewhat by keys flopping about everywhere.

I still wouldn't reccomend it, but then I have never really carried my keys like this so it is something I am unfamiliar with on the whole.  Does anyone (besides Kampfer!) carry keys in one of the many devices like this?

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 02:22:03 PM
I bought the exact same thing in 2016, under the name of "magic key" for €2.5.
Since I don't use ruberized keys, I'm quite happy with it.

Holds my own house keys, my parent's and sister's.

Use it every day. The biner (that came with it) holds my flashdrive, proximity tag and alarm remote.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:04:42 PM
It's good to hear that you have had one long term.  How do you find the bottle opener? 

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:46 PM
It's good to hear that you have had one long term.  How do you find the bottle opener? 

Def
Didn't get a message telling me you replied, because you didn't quote :D

Haven't used it so far...
A SAK or MT is never further away then my keys. ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
I find that it doesn't give you much in the way of leverge to pull a cap off.  You may get one or two off but it's not a cap lifter you want to rely on.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:28:43 PM
I find that it doesn't give you much in the way of leverge to pull a cap off.  You may get one or two off but it's not a cap lifter you want to rely on.

Def
Have you tried pulling out one (or a few) keys, to add leverage?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 08:44:46 PM
I have not, but I will give it a shot.  It seems inefficient as the line of force that you are applying is nowhere near the resistance of the cap,even with the added leverage of the key sticking out.

As I said, it is usable, barely, but I am glad I have other bottle openers available to me.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:26:25 PM
I have not, but I will give it a shot.  It seems inefficient as the line of force that you are applying is nowhere near the resistance of the cap,even with the added leverage of the key sticking out.

As I said, it is usable, barely, but I am glad I have other bottle openers available to me.

Def
Ah well... atleast the hole saves some overal weight :rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:32 PM
Do you ever have a problem with it coming loose and your keys flopping about?  I have had to tighten mine a couple of times now.

I also tried removing all of the spacers, except for the ones needed to balance two keys on one end and one on the other, but that was a fail and I ended up having to put the spacers back in. 

I also had to switch it so that the two keys were at the connecting end and the single key was on the far end from the keychain as that's less keys flopping about, which is a bit annoying as the two keys on the "inner" end are the ones I use more often- and that is the more awkward end to use while it is still on my keychain.

It's not a waste in the way I thought it was a waste- it is not nearly as bulky feeling as I was expecting it to be, but on the other hand the floppiness of it is somewhat bothersome.  I guess what I am saying is that my original skepticism is still there, even if it has changed the path to the bottom line.

I'd consider this one a success if it had cost $10, but at $30 I would leave it behind.

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45:40 PM
Do you ever have a problem with it coming loose and your keys flopping about?  I have had to tighten mine a couple of times now.

I also tried removing all of the spacers, except for the ones needed to balance two keys on one end and one on the other, but that was a fail and I ended up having to put the spacers back in. 

I also had to switch it so that the two keys were at the connecting end and the single key was on the far end from the keychain as that's less keys flopping about, which is a bit annoying as the two keys on the "inner" end are the ones I use more often- and that is the more awkward end to use while it is still on my keychain.

It's not a waste in the way I thought it was a waste- it is not nearly as bulky feeling as I was expecting it to be, but on the other hand the floppiness of it is somewhat bothersome.  I guess what I am saying is that my original skepticism is still there, even if it has changed the path to the bottom line.

I'd consider this one a success if it had cost $10, but at $30 I would leave it behind.

Def
Well, I had to retighten mine about 3 times in 2 months, and since then I haven't had to retighten it.

Like I said before, I bought it for €2.5 which is, like $3?
Couldn't be more happy with it at that price, so got myself a spare one.

I used a keywallet before and thought I would use one 'till the day I die, but I haven't looked back so far.

I do think keys over here are larger overall, but the fact that they extend a bit doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it gives me something to grasp my nail in.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 03:46:50 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 06:29:30 PM
For $3 I would probably grab a couple as well.  The LED's are worth that if nothing else.  :D

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 06:53:31 PM
For $3 I would probably grab a couple as well.  The LED's are worth that if nothing else.  :D

Def
Grant,

Try adding a spacer between the casing and the flathead screw.

This will prevent the screw from unscrewing by itself :tu:

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 05:15:01 AM
Nice write up Grant! My best friend swears by his Key-Bar, but I, like you have too many keys to make it work for me.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 05:48:28 AM
Could the rubber-edged keys work if you put a big enough spacer between them?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 12:55:53 PM

Def
Grant,

Try adding a spacer between the casing and the flathead screw.

This will prevent the screw from unscrewing by itself :tu:

The issue isn't the screws coming loose, the issue is with me having too few keys and not enough spacers I think.  When I first put it together the rubber o-rings weren't properly seated so it seemed tight, but then when they slotted themselves in it loosened up.  Now mu keys flop around and I have used all of the spacers that came with it.  I may try to cut some out of the galvanized spacer material I used to use for SAK scales. 

Could the rubber-edged keys work if you put a big enough spacer between them?

That depends on what you mean by rubber edged keys- if you mean car type keys with rubber heads, then maybe, depending on whether they are contoured or not.  If they are contoured then they still won't fit in with the keys next to them.  I would think the keys with the rubber rings around them would be pretty well the same, but if you were to trim a couple of spacers to level off the rubber, and then one more on top I suppose it could work, but it would take a lot of spacers and a lot of space in the Key Ninja and make it quite large for really no reason.

I am also quite annoyed all over again with the Key Ninja, through no fault of it's own. I paid $30 for this silly thing, and look what I found at my local Dollar Store for $3.   :facepalm:

Def

* Keyninja.jpg (Filesize: 65.7 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 01:25:18 PM

I am also quite annoyed all over again with the Key Ninja, through no fault of it's own. I paid $30 for this silly thing, and look what I found at my local Dollar Store for $3.   :facepalm:

Def

You got screwed!

But I already knew that. Just didn't want to rub it in untill you figured that out yourself.

I think everyone knows the feeling in one way or another though.

Also keep in mind that you said that for $3, you would buy a couple, even if it was just for the LED's 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 03:32:31 PM
I only have 4keys, and I don't think something like this would work for me? I mean it would but, probably just a waste, TP's carabiner would probably be something better.. I made my setup with the two clips on leather that snaps on the belt and it's been pretty good..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 05:20:10 PM
I only have 4keys, and I don't think something like this would work for me? I mean it would but, probably just a waste, TP's carabiner would probably be something better.. I made my setup with the two clips on leather that snaps on the belt and it's been pretty good..
JR
Personaly I just love the quietness of it.
And it reminds me of a SAK while in use. ^^

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 07:47:42 PM
I seriously considered buying it for $3, if for no other reason than as a reminder of how annoyed I was at having paid $30 for it.  In the end I was so annoyed I left it on the shelf and walked out.

I went back specifically to get it two days later and it was gone.   :facepalm:

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 08:05:18 PM
I seriously considered buying it for $3, if for no other reason than as a reminder of how annoyed I was at having paid $30 for it.  In the end I was so annoyed I left it on the shelf and walked out.

I went back specifically to get it two days later and it was gone.   :facepalm:

Def
Aaah, even worse!
Regretting leaving something alone, only to find it's gone after going back.

Poor Uncle Deff :(
I feel sorry for you buddy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:54 PM
Yes, the Key Ninja is remorseless....

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:09 PM
You should have bought more of them, if you had bought 5 at that price your average price would have been a much more reasonable 7.5 $ as opposed to the 30 $ it stands at now. Buying just a single one would have reduced the average price by 45% outright! That makes sense, right?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 04:11:50 PM
You should have bought more of them, if you had bought 5 at that price your average price would have been a much more reasonable 7.5 $ as opposed to the 30 $ it stands at now. Buying just a single one would have reduced the average price by 45% outright! That makes sense, right?
And if you sold your $3 ones for 15 to some other guys, you would make a profit!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 06:32:43 PM
I'm glad I have friends like all of you to keep rubbing it in.... :P

If they had multiples I doubt I would have bought too many, but I might have picked up a couple.  As it is, they only had the one, and I didn't grab it when I saw it, although I did think about it!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%