Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dullish blade. How to sharpen it and not ruin the edge?

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
on: December 31, 2016, 03:21:59 AM
So... My knife's blade is kinda dull. It won't slice paper anymore, it's more if ripping the paper. Now, let me be clear and say that I have zero experience with sharpening. The most I've done is using a mug to resharpen my lil' Classic with mediocre results.
I know that a pull through sharpener will probably ruin the blade, and I probably will do the same with a whetstone so... Tips? I might try to do it and if I can't maybe I'll get it to a locksmith. Anyway if any of you guys have any tips on how to sharpen it, I am all ears!
Thanks
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Re: Dullish blade. How to sharpen it and not ruin the edge?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:39:05 AM
If you don't feel confident freehand sharpening there are several guided sharpening options.  I currently use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and am happy with it.  Lansky also makes a good sharpening set.  Either of these two would be more than adequate for a SAK. 

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:41:44 AM
That would indeed be perfect but the thing is: I got no money, plus parents don't like my SAK (yeah I'm a teenager) so buying a sharpener is a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:49:17 AM
Well, if you have a whetstone and are just a little crafty, you can construct a jig to hold the stone itself at the angle of you choosing.  Then just drag you blade straight down it, esentially making your own Sharpmaker.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:53:12 AM
That's a great idea! I can get the angle by folding a square piece of paper and use that as a reference to put something under the stone at the right angle... Or just use the angle meter or whatever on my phone...
SAK's are supposed to be sharpened at 20 degrees, right?

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:43 AM
You can also start by taking a permanent marker and mark each side where you'll be sharpening. As you start to sharpen, the marker will tell you whether your angle is too high or low compared to original. It takes practice, don't be afraid to mess up. I practiced many moons ago on a cheap paring knife. Hold the blade vertical (90 deg.), Half of that is 45 deg. Half of that is 22.5 etc. You'll develop an eye/feel for the angle.
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 04:28:34 AM
You can also start by taking a permanent marker and mark each side where you'll be sharpening. As you start to sharpen, the marker will tell you whether your angle is too high or low compared to original. It takes practice, don't be afraid to mess up. I practiced many moons ago on a cheap paring knife. Hold the blade vertical (90 deg.), Half of that is 45 deg. Half of that is 22.5 etc. You'll develop an eye/feel for the angle.

This...... :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 05:06:49 AM
Good advice above already :cheers: :cheers: Good luck on your sharpening endeavor  :like: :like:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 05:52:03 AM

This is good advise. If you need more try google search for instinctive knife sharpening. It's a video I dod a few years back on freehand sharpening. I'm the guy in the gray flat cap.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:36:01 PM
Thanks a lot people! All your tips will be very helpful! Thanks!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:10:00 AM
All of the advice above are great. You are in good hands. Sometimes you just have to dive into it. And with a SAK you can always resharpen for corrections. Paper is your best friend to test for sharpness. I would just add that a dull edge will appear shiny so just stop once in a while and check that edge.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 02:11:39 AM by OldBoy2016 »

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 04:24:33 AM
Okay, since nobody asked, I will.  Why would you take a knife to a Locksmith??  :facepalm:
Perception is reality

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:09 AM
Okay, since nobody asked, I will.  Why would you take a knife to a Locksmith??  :facepalm:
Don't know about Brazil (where OP is from), but here in W-Europe, alot of locksmiths also repair shoes and sharpen knives/scissors. So it's not that strange. ;)

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:53:01 AM
Hah! Same in the Philippines. The guy would pedal on his bike to spin the sharpening stone.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:59 AM

This is good advise. If you need more try google search for instinctive knife sharpening. It's a video I dod a few years back on freehand sharpening. I'm the guy in the gray flat cap.

Spot on Wolfy  :salute:

Nice little video CB  :tu:

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 03:43:59 PM
Don't know about Brazil (where OP is from), but here in W-Europe, alot of locksmiths also repair shoes and sharpen knives/scissors. So it's not that strange. ;)
Exactly. I'm just afraid the guy will ruin the blade hahaha

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
I wouldn't let some locksmith or other guy sharpen my knife. First, it's so easy to do with a SAK, second I've seen too many of these guys who over do it and do indeed damage the knife.

Any soup bowl or coffee mug with an unglazed ring on the bottom can sharpen a SAK. A stropping on the back of an old leather belt after will put a shaving edge on it. Learning to do it yourself will give you a sense of independence that is priceless. Any smooth stone out of a creek will do. The underside of the top of a toilet tank can be used. A piece of 500 grit sandpaper on a mousepad can  be used. One thing you don't need is one of those over priced and over hyped sharpening gizmos that they sell, not to sharpen knives, but to get your money out of your wallet and into theirs.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 04:30:10 PM
Lansky 4 Rod Ceramic Turn Box Knife Sharpener is the easiest way to go for someone new at sharpening.
You'll have your choice of 2 diamond rods and 2 ceramic rods or 4 ceramic rods, depending on which model you choose.
Just hold the knife vertical and draw down wards.
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 49.4 KB)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:36:19 PM by Dean51 »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 04:31:05 PM
This is what I use

If you want to be creative and save money just buy a small sharpening stone like the fallkniven DC4 and use an old leather belt for stropping. Also you can use the bottom of a coffee mug and then use a leather belt for stropping. On youtube you can find tips and howtos.

Sharpened the blade of my 1947 Soldier today. The shape of the blade isn't perfect but to make it look perfectly straight and free of chips I would have to remove too much of the blade.

It is shaving sharp though.

While I was busy I also sharpened the kitchen cutlery :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:47:10 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:20 PM
This is what I use

(Image removed from quote.)

If you want to be creative and save money just buy a small sharpening stone like the fallkniven DC4 and use an old leather belt for stropping. Also you can use the bottom of a coffee mug and then use a leather belt for stropping. On youtube you can find tips and howtos.

Sharpened the blade of my 1947 Soldier today. The shape of the blade isn't perfect but to make it look perfectly straight and free of chips I would have to remove too much of the blade.

It's amazing how those things last... Heck it's almost as old as my grandfather and in better shape than he is

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 06:01:47 PM
In my opinion freehand sharpening is the way to go...it is a lifetime skill that should be cultivated. It might take a while to gain the muscle memory to hold proper angles, but it is worth the effort. Once learned, there is no need for special fixtures or jigs and you will be able to sharpen just about any edged tool...from axes to scissors...

The easiest method to start with is sandpaper sharpening. I do not like using a mousepad even for convex edges...I use a fairly stiff sheet of rubber glued to a board. There are plenty of instructions and videos on the web for sandpaper or mousepad sharpening.

Learn to keep your edges touched up between uses and it will be a long time before you actually need to sharpen.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:13 PM
In my opinion freehand sharpening is the way to go...it is a lifetime skill that should be cultivated. It might take a while to gain the muscle memory to hold proper angles, but it is worth the effort. Once learned, there is no need for special fixtures or jigs and you will be able to sharpen just about any edged tool...from axes to scissors...

But…then how will all those marketers of the special fixtures and jigs make money?????

And make no mistake, it's all about the money. People have been sharpening knives and swords since biblical days, with no special fixtures and gizmos. But the marketers have turned knife sharpening into some sort of mythical hyped procedure to intimidate the new comer into thinking it's more complicated than it really is. And they can sell some whiz bang gizmo to you. Think about this; some Roman legionnaire about to fight the Carthaginians, some Crusader camped outside Jerusalem in the third crusade, or some mountain man in the 1830's in the Rocky Mountains after beaver skins, didn't have anything but a smooth rock. Yet they did well with primitive stones. A little leather with some goose oil to strop it on and they were good to go.

Knife sharpening is easier than you think. If you can walk, you can sharpen on a stone.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 09:31:18 PM
This is what I use

Nice knife, nice advice. One more thing, you can sharpen the blade on the DC4 or DC3 and then use the stones' pouch/sheath as a strop. Works like a charm   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 03:51:05 AM
That would indeed be perfect but the thing is: I got no money, plus parents don't like my SAK (yeah I'm a teenager) so buying a sharpener is a no go.

:think: How 'bout ..............
Black sharpie marker - to color the edge so you can VISUALLY see what and where you are actually sharpening.  :tu:
& the "Ol' Bottom of a Porcelain/Ceramic Coffee Cup Trick"  :D  ? link to many vids: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coffee+cup+knife+sharpening
IF you dont have a whetstone of the correct courseness - there are some that are too course and will RUIN your blade(not all stone are the same or good for knives :) ) - the bottom of the cup if FINE in courseness.  :tu:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:54:06 AM by cali-SAK-attack »
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 06:17:42 AM
Favorite knife sharpener;

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 06:44:20 AM
The easiest method to start with is sandpaper sharpening. I do not like using a mousepad even for convex edges...I use a fairly stiff sheet of rubber glued to a board. There are plenty of instructions and videos on the web for sandpaper or mousepad sharpening.

Learn to keep your edges touched up between uses and it will be a long time before you actually need to sharpen.

^^^ This.

You dont need expensive gear to get a really nice edge on a SAK.  If you have chips then you'll need to address those first.  I agree with using sand paper if you cannot get your hands on anything else.  It will work well when you use a sharpie to mark your cutting edge. 

You can also finish the edge on your belt.  Use your belt as a strop.  You can also strop on cardboard.  Look up stopping on cardboard. 

Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:45 PM
Thanks guys! I still haven't done it because I don't have the time (and I need to get the mug hidden because people wouldn't like the idea of 'ruining' the mug) but I will post the results as soon as I do it ^^

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 07:10:56 PM
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 01:12:18 PM
A Spyderco Sharpmaker makes sharpening a consistent angle relatively easy and doesn't mess up the blade: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 08:09:52 PM
Thanks guys! I still haven't done it because I don't have the time (and I need to get the mug hidden because people wouldn't like the idea of 'ruining' the mug) but I will post the results as soon as I do it ^^

Beware the Mug Police  :ahhh

Good luck  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68