Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dullish blade. How to sharpen it and not ruin the edge?

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Re: Dullish blade. How to sharpen it and not ruin the edge?
Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 12:03:59 AM
So um... Sorry for the late reply! I sharpened it. Kinda... I went the old mug way and I mean, it's better... Not by a lot, but it is considerably sharper. Enough for my daily uses I guess, what do you need a razor sharp blade for sharpening pencils, cutting fruit and the occasional little tree branch?
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 12:07:46 AM
The more blunt the knife was before, the longer you have to spend getting it back sharp. You've proved it was working, you just stopped before you'd finished  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
The more blunt the knife was before, the longer you have to spend getting it back sharp. You've proved it was working, you just stopped before you'd finished  ;)
It was working sometimes... I mean, I can't hold the angle steady so sometimes I would just go ten steps backwards and 9 forwards most of the time

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 02:21:36 AM
Good work!!! If there's an improvement, you're on the right track. Like with any new skill, it takes time and practice while our brains adjust by making new neuron pathways (or something scientific like that). It'll get easier and more efficient each time until you're a pro eventually.
"The older I get, the better I was".

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 05:50:54 AM
Did you use any marker on the edge to see how your angle is doing?

That's one of the biggest aids, marking the edge to see if you're holding too much of an angle or too shallow an angle. If it's better, then your probably doing pretty good. Just keep at it.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:14 AM
I'm a great fan of the Edge Pro. Well, I have a Chinese version, like to one below.

It's great and will sharpen anything from large kitchen knives to small SAK blades. The chinese versions are really cheap and will set you back around $15-$20 (€15,-).
There is a little learning curve but when you get the hang of it... you will have scary sharp blades!
Sharpening stones for this system are really cheap and available in a various grits, as well as diamond plates in various grits. This system will sharpen virtually any knife (except concave blades).

But such a system at home is worthless in the field. So I would recommend learning freehand sharpening. When out in the field the Fallkniven DC4 and DC3 stones are a fantastic way to sharpen your knives. I carry a DC3 daily, just in case. They also come in a really nice leather pouch  :D
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 06:38:49 PM
Or, you can just carry a cut down Eze-Lap model L in your wallet and sharpen up your knife anytime you need to, anywhere, in a few minutes. SAK's respond to diamond hones very well.

Learning to free hand sharpen gives you total freedom from homebound gizmos that are overly complicated. Sharpening a knife is not rocket science. It's an easy to learn skill if you don't over think it. The problem is, too many merchants like to over complicate it so they can sell you thier over complicated and over priced gizmos that are over hyped.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:41:46 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 07:51:50 PM
It is definitely worth learning how to sharpen instinctively like cbl51 says in his video.

I basically learned the same way.  I used to take one knife and sharpen it and then dull it and sharpen it again, etc. to get better.

You will eventually be able to feel when the knife is at the right angle. Also as you sharpen, start out with firm pressure on the knife and then, once you have established the edge, lighten up on the pressure until the final strokes are done using only the weight of the knife. This will give you a hair shaving edge once you get the feel of it.

Keep practicing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 08:12:59 PM
The bevel looks decent enough.  I mean you didn't leave it looking uneven or higher than normal.  Getting the cutting edge fine tuned is exactly that, fine tuning.  After you went the mug route a follow up on your leather belt ( inside ) would have made that edge pop.  You can also strop in on the edge of a cardboard box.  Slow and easy.  Also some people like their edges "toothy" which basically means tiny micro serrations imagine this ^^^^^^ on the cutting edge.  No problem with that.  Other prefer a razor blade edge which simple put is without the micro serration. 

Esse Quam Videri

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 12:22:26 AM
Thanks guys! I might try it again and see if I can do any better. Maybe dull and sharpen my classic as I don't use the blade on it anymore, so it wouldn't be a issue if the blade went dull and I could not sharpen it again. As for the marker, I forgot about it! I'll make sure to remember to use it next time :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%