Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What I do for a living. (Pic Heavy)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: What I do for a living. (Pic Heavy)
Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 05:34:08 PM
Are those arches self supporting?

Yes, we built forms laid the brick then removed the forms before pointing them up :tu:

I have only used the flexible lintels a time or so and curved steel lintels usually only on stone arches (I have built self supporting arches with stone as well though :cheers:

If you are referring to the bridge then no they aren't self supporting and it had a welded lintel to a concrete structured bridge ;) Looking back all the arches up til now in the brick are self supporting though :cheers: The ones that are roughly 2 ft wide were built up so high and then poured with concrete inside :tu:
No, about the arches... there are tons of designs in classical architecture.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 05:35:19 PM
this is about 10 minutes from my house, roman aquaduct (sorry for the quality, was my old phone from a moving car on the highway):

2011-04-06_13-30-54_310.jpg
* 2011-04-06_13-30-54_310.jpg (Filesize: 134.63 KB)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 05:38:25 PM
this is about 10 minutes from my house, roman aquaduct (sorry for the quality, was my old phone from a moving car on the highway):
Yep, held up by its own weight :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 06:03:23 PM
Very cool bunch of arches (I always love aquaducts :dd: ) and there is probably a good deal of history with that I bet :tu: :like: :like:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 07:11:26 PM
That's some beautiful work you have going there.  I have been dealing with some problems with my brick work for a while- perhaps I should have asked you for help rather than throw good money after bad to try and sort it out myself!   :ahhh

Def

What is the problem and I might be able to talk you through it :tu:

I have an exposed chimney up the side of my house.  The fireplace it is for is no longer functional- it has been capped off and insulated.

There doesn't seem to be any major cracks in the mortar or bricks, but every time it rains a significant amount of water comes in.  I have had a waterproofing substance sprayed on twice, I have had the flashings redone... there's been no complaints for a bit now, but then the snow is down now so I really won't know for sure until spring.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 07:36:13 PM
my bad, it's not actually roman... it's from the late 1700s.

http://www.turismo.navarra.es/eng/organice-viaje/recurso.aspx?o=2859
The Navarrese people of the end of the 18th century could not give credit to seeing water run along the upper part of the very long succession of arches that miraculously brought drinkable water to the public fountains that Luis Paret had designed for the city of Pamplona. Like the famous river Guadiana, the water travelled in a hidden manner from the springs of Subiza, at the foot of the El Perdón mountain range, until it arrived at the southern side of the capital.

The royal architect Ventura Rodriguez was charged with the design and construction of the Aqueduct of Noain, and in 1790 this hydraulic, pharaonic and spectacular infrastructure of the age was inaugurated, channelling the water along around 16.5 kilometres.

Its most emblematic part is situated above a natural depression behind the town of Noain; it reaches a length of around 1,245 metres spanning 97 arches of stone and brick, of which today 94 are conserved, with columns of up to 18 metres in height and a canal at the top.
The English architect Street, a classic protagonist of Spanish Gothic, said that the Aqueduct of Noain "through its simplicity and the grandiosity of its design, deserves to figure amongst the most lovely in Europe".

The aqueduct that draws the attention of travellers approaching Pamplona from the south was raised and constructed between 1783 and 1790, even though it has not been used as an aqueduct for several years. In 1859 the construction of the Pamplona-Castejón railway line made it necessary to sacrifice one of the pillars, and currently the trains to Madrid and Barcelona cross under it. Furthermore, with the construction of the Autopista de Navarra in 1971, two complete arches of the final section were eliminated. Nowadays the aqueduct is conserved in an unequal state, even though it has undergone over a dozen renovations in the last few decades.

The construction project that was originally entrusted to the French engineer Francisco Genci in 1774 was finally realized by Ventura Rodriguez, the very same architect who was commissioned to build the current neoclassical façade of Pamplona Cathedral. In August of 1782 the study, report, and the twelve plans of the work were delivered, which involved the technical direction of Francisco Alejo Aranguren and Santos Angel de Ochandategui. Its total cost was around 300,000 pesos.

The Aqueduct of Noain is longer than one perceives from the road. It starts in the springs of Subiza and ends in Pamplona, crossing other open areas through the municipalities of Tajonar, Badostáin and Mendillorri. The section that links Noain with Tajonar is underground, bored through the Tajonar mountain range of Tajonar for one kilometre, and is ventilated by eight entrances, the deepest of these being some 68 metres down. It exits at ground level in a gully near Noáin, in a section of approximately 580 metres in length by 5 metres high, sustained in its central part by 12 stone arches. Arriving at the hill on which Tajonar is built; the aqueduct submerges itself again underground for around 300 metres and reappears at the boundary with Zolina. It is here that it shows its final elevated position for some few metres, before returning again to ground level in Badostáin, near Pamplona.

There are parts of the city that are roman...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:48 PM
Those buggers were roman all over the place form what I understand...  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 08:26:58 PM
every time they excavate to build something they find more ruins.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 08:43:09 PM
Some beautiful work Poncho !  :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 09:22:55 PM
That's some beautiful work you have going there.  I have been dealing with some problems with my brick work for a while- perhaps I should have asked you for help rather than throw good money after bad to try and sort it out myself!   :ahhh

Def

I have an exposed chimney up the side of my house.  The fireplace it is for is no longer functional- it has been capped off and insulated.

There doesn't seem to be any major cracks in the mortar or bricks, but every time it rains a significant amount of water comes in.  I have had a waterproofing substance sprayed on twice, I have had the flashings redone... there's been no complaints for a bit now, but then the snow is down now so I really won't know for sure until spring.

Def

Chimneys are always a problem child :facepalm: So much expansion and contraction over the years when they are being used is a lot of the problem. It may be where the house and the chimney meet where you problem is :think: Capping it and spraying it shows me that it may have more to do with the the in-between part ( area between the house and chimney) than the chimney,  I would check and make sure that all of that is caulked or has plenty of tar on it as well :tu: Other than that it might be best to get someone in to tear it down under the roof line and roof over it :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 09:23:33 PM
every time they excavate to build something they find more ruins.

Very cool Whoey 8) :cheers: :cheers: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 09:24:16 PM
Some beautiful work Poncho !  :hatsoff:

Thanks Steve :cheers: :cheers: I have a few more jobs still to put up but haven't taken the time yet :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 09:38:08 PM

Def

Def

Chimneys are always a problem child :facepalm: So much expansion and contraction over the years when they are being used is a lot of the problem. It may be where the house and the chimney meet where you problem is :think: Capping it and spraying it shows me that it may have more to do with the the in-between part ( area between the house and chimney) than the chimney,  I would check and make sure that all of that is caulked or has plenty of tar on it as well :tu: Other than that it might be best to get someone in to tear it down under the roof line and roof over it :-\

The issue is that the water pours in inside the chimney, as if someone put a garden hose down it.  So I don't think it is between the brick and the wall or there would be even more water in the wall itself.

I would like to rip out the chimney but that really isn't much of an option as it means I will have to re-side the house and rebuild a part of the roof.  That's going to cost an awful lot more money than I really have or would like to put into it.

You can see it in the pic below- it's not just a matter of patching a hole in the roof, the whole side of the roof would have to be rebuilt.

Def
Kencrest.jpg
* Kencrest.jpg (Filesize: 216.96 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 31, 2016, 11:11:16 PM

Def

Def

The issue is that the water pours in inside the chimney, as if someone put a garden hose down it.  So I don't think it is between the brick and the wall or there would be even more water in the wall itself.

I would like to rip out the chimney but that really isn't much of an option as it means I will have to re-side the house and rebuild a part of the roof.  That's going to cost an awful lot more money than I really have or would like to put into it.

You can see it in the pic below- it's not just a matter of patching a hole in the roof, the whole side of the roof would have to be rebuilt.

Def

Somewhere against the wall of the house and the chimney is probably a bad crack that you can't see :facepalm: and I bet it is channeling all the water back into the chimney below your roof line then :-\ I know what you mean about having to reside the house but if it is a rental property I would tear it down past the roof, seal it up and just fix the roof over that part :think: It might not be the best aesthetic look but it might solve a major water issue :ahhh

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 11:47:37 PM
Beautiful work! I live in a brick home. Something about them has always drawn me. Always interesting to see what some of you guys do for a living.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: January 01, 2017, 12:58:08 AM
Hah!  My current job as a QA Engineer has intangible benefits and results so no pics to share. I now look to my family and son's progress as a measurement of success. Can't mention the name of my company but it's fairly well known.
Good thread.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:13 AM
Beautiful work! I live in a brick home. Something about them has always drawn me. Always interesting to see what some of you guys do for a living.

I need to get some pics of my home as well :tu: I put almost every brick on it except for what my dad helped :cheers: I used many elements from what I learned on the job on my own home and it came out as what I wanted it too :tu:

fi Offline temo

Reply #47 on: January 01, 2017, 01:43:02 AM
More from the private school :tu:

IMG_0974 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

IMG_0980 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

IMG_0979 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

IMG_0978 by Poncho 65, on Flickr
Well I just graduated to vocational teacher and would be honored to teach in school like that :) 15+ years in IT area working with nice products like nokia communicator.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 01, 2017, 05:41:54 PM
when they said "poncho is thick as a brick" I thought they meant something else! :facepalm: :pok:

Beautiful work buddy :cheers: thx for sharing this, now about my future brick/pizza oven! :P :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: January 01, 2017, 10:10:17 PM
when they said "poncho is thick as a brick" I thought they meant something else! :facepalm: :pok:

Beautiful work buddy :cheers: thx for sharing this, now about my future brick/pizza oven! :P :D

Thanks WD  :tu: I have never built a pizza oven but I have studied how to build them and could practice by building myself one then who knows ;) :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:18 AM
I'm thinking we need an MTO passaround.  Everyone gets Poncho for a week to do whatever project you want, then send him off to the next member!

And no wonder he doesn't participate much in the Lego thread- he's living the Lego dream for real!  :D

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 02:56:26 AM
I'm thinking we need an MTO passaround.  Everyone gets Poncho for a week to do whatever project you want, then send him off to the next member!

And no wonder he doesn't participate much in the Lego thread- he's living the Lego dream for real!  :D

Def

I have put many legos in the wall since I was 16 :dd: :D

A week :think: Might get a project or two out of me :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 02:59:06 AM
Belmont University :tu:

053 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

052 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Up close look at the bond of the whole building :)

191 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 03:00:45 AM
We set the granite and laid the brick and pavers all around this fountain :tu:

018 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

1241 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

1207 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 03:02:40 AM
More Belmont

329 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

150 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

111 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: January 02, 2017, 03:04:08 AM
Nashville Downtown YMCA

Picture 085 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Picture 084 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Picture 083 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Picture 081 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: January 02, 2017, 03:05:18 AM
More Y

Picture 028 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Picture 017 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Picture 005 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 03:11:36 AM

It seems like an awful lot of bricks to get such big uninterrupted expanses of baked clay.  How long does it take to do one of these buildings?
Guess it depends some on the size of your crew...

Anyway, some pretty impressive work.    :tu:

dc
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 03:13:51 AM
A high school renovation and addition that took 2 years from start to finish and cost way more than any high school I have ever worked on :o

This is Oak Ridge High School and it is historical as it was the first school in the US to desegregate :tu: Was on the cover of Life magazine and Oak Ridge is also where the Manhattan Project was for WW II and this is the school that was started for the children of the scientist's that were working on the atomic bomb :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Government grants paid for a bulk of this because of the historical significance  :cheers:

These pics are of the back of the school and it was 3 stories mostly curved/radius walls built with block and brick :tu: All the curved walls were built with level work :cheers: :like:

DSC00384 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00383 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00382 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00380 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00379 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00377 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

DSC00376 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 03:17:59 AM

It seems like an awful lot of bricks to get such big uninterrupted expanses of baked clay.  How long does it take to do one of these buildings?
Guess it depends some on the size of your crew...

Anyway, some pretty impressive work.    :tu:

dc

I have worked on most of these projects for anywhere from 1 year to 2 for 1 project (except for the first project which was only over a week long ;) ) but at Belmont University we spent over 4 years building a few different buildings :cheers: Our company gets many jobs like this and we run anywhere from around a 15 person (small crew) to well over 70 on some of these :o around 25 or so bricklayers and 45 labors :tu: The next project we are working on will be at Vanderbilt University and is a 20 million dollar masonry job for us and will have a crew bigger than 70 maybe :ahhh We have a very tight schedule on it and it will be the most complicated building our company has ever worked on :dd:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:19:51 AM by Poncho65 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD